Restoring Hubcaps (1956 Buick)

Beemon

I recently picked up a set of four hubcaps for my 1956 Century. They aren't the best looking set and one of them in particular has a nasty dent around the outside ring which I probably won't be able to pull out.

Aside from pulling and bending metal and polishing the stainless, I wasn't quite sure what the color of paint was for the painted squares in the lower ring and on the back of the emblem center piece (both the red and silver). If anyone could point me to the correct paint colors, that would be fantastic. Only one of the emblems are cracked, the other three are solid with no visible crazing.

Hmm, not really sure how I'm going to go about getting the dents out and polishing now. I didn't know they were chrome plated.

Still need to know the color of paint for the edge notches and center emblem, though.

I can't help with the color.

The chrome needs to be stripped chemically/electronically and is best if you send them out. Most shops will give you the option of stripping the chrome only, stripping and polishing the stainless underneath, or stripping chrome and rechroming. The latter being the most expensive.

I believe the stripping only is usually around $25 a piece, plus shipping if you have an out-of-town shop do it.

The centers are probably reproduced like the 55's I bought in the past. Check with Bob's Automobilia or CARS. I had a set of 55 covers restored by Volunteer State Chevy 15 years ago. They appear to be slightly yellower than originals, but you have to place them together to see the difference. I don't know what they did other than the tool marks on the back side and the perfect finish on outside: they duplicated the flat silvery paint in the turbines and and the brushed effect in the center. This was one of the rare pleasant surprises dealing with vendors. Cost back then was $100 each. I do most of my own hands on work, but could not and would not do these.

Willie

I thought that was what I had. But, for whatever reason (???) someone took the Buick center out and replaced it with a Corvette spinner center. I have it on ebay right now - but, I'm basically selling the Corvette center (with the Buick that it's on). The Buick wheel cover, minus the center, is in pretty good condition. It would need a little work - but, nothing compared to the one you have there. I'll have to think about this....and see what happens. Maybe I could just take the Vette center off and give you a good deal on the Buick. I've attached a picture here. Ebay #330762822116. post-45922-143139096917_thumb.jpg

post-45922-143139096927_thumb.jpg

I thought that was what I had. But, for whatever reason (???) someone took the Buick center out and replaced it with a Corvette spinner center. I have it on ebay right now - but, I'm basically selling the Corvette center (with the Buick that it's on). The Buick wheel cover, minus the center, is in pretty good condition. It would need a little work - but, nothing compared to the one you have there. I'll have to think about this....and see what happens. Maybe I could just take the Vette center off and give you a good deal on the Buick. I've attached a picture here. Ebay #330762822116. [ATTACH=CONFIG]145740[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]145739[/ATTACH]
Those might be '55 caps. With those spinners it's hard to see for sure..... Although the plastic centers are interchangeable. The area around the center is a bit different. The '55 has a single ridge at the center cutout.

The '56 dips down and then comes up to again to make two ridges.

They are very near to being identical. They can be mismatched on the same car and most people don't even notice.

EDIT:You know..... Now, that I think about when i put a '56 hubcap on mine, I bolted the 55 roadmaster spinner on it. So, the center cap was in the '55 part.......

Sorry for the misinformation.

Thanks, for the correction!

Edited by bhambulldog
I was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see edit history)

Be advised Buick hubcaps are chrome plated stainless. Once you sand/polish through the chrome the underlying stainless is a more yellowish color and will be obvious...............Bob

Bob - Are you sure these are chrome plated stainless? They sure look/feel like stainless steel. And, when you say 'Buick hubcaps...' are you saying all Buick hubcaps? Just trying to get an understanding.

Also -to Beemon....Sorry, I was not trying to sell you anything - just thought I'd suggest some possible solutions to some of the things you brought up. Sorry I can't help with the paint colors.

Sorry, but I'm not looking to buy new hubcaps. If I were, I would have posted in the other forum. I was just asking for advice on paint colors if anyone had done this type of restoration before.

Flat silver-gray in the turbines, matched the center color to some rattle can...improved the appearance, but still just a good 20 footer.

Willie

Bob - Are you sure these are chrome plated stainless? They sure look/feel like stainless steel. And, when you say 'Buick hubcaps...' are you saying all Buick hubcaps? Just trying to get an understanding.

Also -to Beemon....Sorry, I was not trying to sell you anything - just thought I'd suggest some possible solutions to some of the things you brought up. Sorry I can't help with the paint colors.

Well, let me qualify that by saying 55 and 57's are chromium plated stainless. The chromium gives it a more brilliant bluish look. The difference is subtle but quite noticeable if the plating is buffed through to the stainless which is noticeably yellowish by comparison. The only fix is to re-plate the cap or remove the chrome. The side trim on my 56 Chrysler is chromium plated the same way. Makes for repair/restoration a real PITA/expensive.............Bob

Interesting. My hub caps are on my list of things to do. I assumed they were stainless steel like the side trim on the car. That polished up very nice. I was hoping I could do the same with the hub caps. I don't really want to send them to the plater for chrome.

It seems like quite an ambitious project, a couple are pretty bashed up.

FYI, the 55's have a smaller center cap than the 56, so they don't actually interchange.

You know..... Now, that I think about when i put a '56 hubcap on mine, I bolted the 55 roadmaster spinner on it. So, the center cap was in the '55 part.......

Sorry for the misinformation.

Thanks, for the correction!

Interesting. My hub caps are on my list of things to do. I assumed they were stainless steel like the side trim on the car. That polished up very nice. I was hoping I could do the same with the hub caps. I don't really want to send them to the plater for chrome.

Again, I can only speak for 55 and 57 small body Buicks but none of the other stainless trim was plated, only the hubcaps. Chromium plate really doesn't polish very well. So you will keep at it until it starts shining. Then you will notice that it looks "different". So you will polish more to make it look better only worsening the effect................Bob

Hmm, seems to be a very tricky situation here. Good thing these are only driver caps. :P I guess I'll try out what old-tank said and use the flat silver-gray in the turbines with the matched spray paint. Anything for the letters? They aren't too bad, but would be interested in sprucing them up a bit.

I never found a paint the matched the silver/chrome effect of the letters...closest thing was the shiny side of aluminum foil pressed in...again a 20 footer effect.
'

I don't think it was paint. It looked to me like the "squares" were masked off and sand blasted prior to chromium plating. Gonna be hard to duplicate that without just doing it............Bob

Just to verify, we are talking about two silvers.

A)The matte silver (grey) squares on the outer perimeter of the hubcaps. Time consuming, but possible in a variety of techniques. Sandblast, then chrome. OR: Prime, then paint with a flat silver. Etc.

B) The centercap Buick letters in chrome-like silver. Really hard to duplicate.

You're just gonna have to experiment.

The chrome like center cap graphics are a thin film of vacuum deposited aluminum. Not totally beyond doing but it would take a vacuum pump capable of producing a near total vacuum, a vacuum chamber with heaters capable of vaporizing an aluminum strip(s). I went so far as to acquire a pump and built a small chamber to experiment with it but lost interest in it. Other than the real thing there is no way duplicate those graphics..............Bob

I never found a paint the matched the silver/chrome effect of the letters...closest thing was the shiny side of aluminum foil pressed in...again a 20 footer effect.

Hmm. I'll have to re-check the lettering to see if they're okay, that's disappointing though.

I don't think it was paint. It looked to me like the "squares" were masked off and sand blasted prior to chromium plating. Gonna be hard to duplicate that without just doing it............Bob

No it's paint because on some of the turbines, it's scratched off.

I've seen some replicas online, are they any worth picking up or are the just as good as home grown refurbs? I'm sure they have the vacuum pump Bhigdog was talking about, but are the colors close to accurate?

[quote name=Beemon;1059864

I've seen some replicas online' date=' are they any worth picking up or are the just as good as home grown refurbs? I'm sure they have the vacuum pump Bhigdog was talking about, but are the colors close to accurate?

The 55 reproduction wheel cover centers are fine, and the 56 probably are also.

Willie

• 2 weeks later...

for your lettering-try brushing letters out with lettering sizzing then apply silver leaf (like gold leaf)-let sit dust edges with cotton ball and clearcoat with brush.ive got some silver leaf i can send you if you want to attempt.send private message if interested.