Need a value for a 1902 Holsman

Guest WickedEnzo

Guest WickedEnzo

Hey all, I have recently acquired a 1902 holsman through some very interesting circumstances and am needing to find out how much it is worth. I figured this is the best forum to help with that. Its all there and currently does not run. It ran as soon as 2 years ago. There is documentation regarding the original purchaser. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A little research shows this to be a Model 3 Runabout, probably 1907. The 1902 date on the tag is just a patent date. The style of tag in the photo is a tag used in manufacture from 1907 to 18 Feb 1909.

The value of the car, aside from some collector "having to have it" is largely determined by the condition of the now not running engine with "unobtanium" parts.

Guest WickedEnzo

I don't know how to start the machine to determine if it is in running condition. There is compression when the handle is turned. Aside from that I am lost. Any and all advice/help is welcomed. Thanks again, J

No one likes putting values on cars from pictures, without inspecting the car, and without determining whether putting such a value on a car, from a couple pictures, is going to make the poster/owner mad.

Sometimes, people with limited knowledge find such a car, and think it is worth $100,000, if only I could contact Jay Leno he would buy it, and so forth.

My wild ass guess (WAG) is somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000, if someone really wanted it. Not running, and not knowing if anything is missing, or even if it has the right engine in it, $8000 to $10,000.

There ya go, I've put myself out there, who else will comment on value?

Guest WickedEnzo

That makes for a perfectly useless answer. Ha! Where do I find the literature to find out the after-mentioned information? I just don't have any ideas where to start, and it doesn't seem like there is much out there regarding these cars. If there is please point me in the right direction. Thanks, J

See, to my point, my guess is that Wicked sort of ignores my low estimates on value, because he thinks it is worth much,much more, and responds to another post, post my post. In fact, msmazcol is correct. As my father used to say, nothing has value until you sell it, and to sell it, you must have a buyer with cash or resources in hand. Wicked, you may be serious as all get out, but this is one of the problems with this forum. Someone who is not a car collector nor enthusiast, finds a car, acquires it, possibly inherits it, and the only answer they seek is one of, as the Germans say, grosse geld, lots of money. You search Google for antique automobile, here is the AACA forum, you "join,", our answers don't satisfy you so you move on.

I would hope that you are not like this, that you have some respect for the very nice Holsman you have found, but fear this is not the case. Oh well.

Guest WickedEnzo

I assume that you get these types of situations all of the time. I did not once say that you estimates were "low" I have zero idea of what it is worth. Your estimates are a perfect example of me being completely ignorant regarding the old of an automobile, and not having any clue of what its value is or where even to find information at. You should see from earlier posts that I am curious as to find out "real" information regarding this car, and if the price is right I do intend on selling it, because this is not my area of expertise. On the other hand I do enjoy cars, and this classic car. I understand very well the principal that "it is only worth as much as someone will pay you for it", but is it unrealistic to inquire on a antique automobile forum to find these answers? I appreciate your first response, cannot say the same for the second one, and have been trying to ask all of the right questions to do this car justice. I may find that I want to keep it once I know how to start it or if it even runs. If you are offended at the possibility that someone would join a forum to find a value of a car from the people who have the knowledge, then that is too bad. The intention was not to ruffle feathers, but to try and estimate what kind of value should be placed on this car. So any constructive advice (like your first post), is greatly appreciated regarding starting procedures, and literature regarding engine specifications, other than that I have no need to read your rant regarding my selfish disregard of your low estimate. Good day.

It sounds as if you are one of the few who is seeking real knowledge, not always the case with someone who finds the forum and logs on from outside the core collector group.

That being the case, I apologize for the second post. The first post is purely opinion, as high wheelers are very interesting cars, but don't seem to bring the "big bucks." I owned a Sears Autobuggy a while back, similar vehicle, and while unique and in beautiful condition, it's not very practical in terms of speed or touring (although there are tours that cater to the slower 1 and 2 cylinder cars).

I hope that you find a good home for the Holsman, or decide to keep and get it running. They are very basic engines, and if you have compression and can get gas and spark to the cylinders, it will run. dc

Now thats a real genuine horseless carrige! Just a buggie and a motor. Imagine taking Ma to town in that 100 years ago. I hope you pursue how to get it running and enjoy it a bit before you decide to sell it. it may grow on you. Could you take some photos of the motor? Maybe I can talk you though on how to get it started. If you were close, I would come over and get it running for you and teach you how to care for it. Dandy Dave!

Wicked, if you want to sell it at current market value , there are two choices. The first for immediate return, is place it on eBay, and spread the word on forums such as this that it is available. The bidders will be a mix of wannabes, but also car enthusiast that know these cars and their value. The enthusiast will bid against each other and keep the price in honest territory. You need to have several good quality close up photos of the engine and drive mechanisms.

It would help here to have someone knowledgeable assist you in giving a good, honest appraisal of its mechanical and overall condition. There is a theory that people will actually pay more on eBay, because over a 10 day period , they revisit the offering and rationalize the price. There also is the possibility of a bidding contest.

The second choice is to keep the car awhile and learn about it, its condition, and its desirability in the old car market . This may take awhile, as there is no immediate "cook book" and you will need to do research, and also get help from folks such as on this forum.

You do need to evaluate and appreciate good sources when you are given info. One quick method would be to look at the list of similar cars owned by the person that has provided information and opinions. You already have been given good advice by a very good source.

At the end of the day, with either method you may find that the car is still worth about the same money - it really depends upon your comfort level.