Hupmobile forum

trimacar

OK, I've kept silent on this, but now there is a Metz forum, so have to come to the rescue of another marque.

Where is the Hupmobile forum? Lots of Hupps out there, including the one I have owned since 1976, and am restoring for the second time, 1910 Model 20 runabout. I have documentation that this is original color, and it saves electricity, as it glows in the dark and don't need lights at night.

Is a Hupp forum a viable option? Hupp owners, let us know.

post-31482-14313804726_thumb.jpg

Guest Dean_H.

Maybe if the frame was black. But a red frame? No wonder there's no Hupmobile forum.

Just kidding. Your work looks great so far, I hope you post more pics of your progress.

Hi Dean- yes, the early Hupps had red frames and bodies, black fenders. I believe in late 1910 they also offered blue as an option, possibly earlier. The serial number on this car is in the 5700 range, which makes it a later 1910 (1500 cars made in 1909, about 5000 in 1910, all Model 20). The red on this car matches a sample of paint found under a bracket on an original car. Rather than get in any discussion of fading, paint color changing, and such, I just decided to go with it. This color was available as a paint in 1910, I have researched and verified.

I'm putting this together to drive, it is a fun car. dc

Darn it, Ken, slow down so I can catch up with you! Yours is looking great, good progress.

To the readers of this, the color for my car came from documention put together in the 1960's by Ken's uncle.

Thanks, Ken, you've been a great help. Will be in touch.

David Coco Winchester Va.

Guest Dean_H.

I recently bought a 1912 runabout. The former owner did not complete the restoration. Do you guys think this is original colors for 1912? Should I paint the fenders black? Also what about the engine color? I'm working on another car right now, but when I get going on this one, there may be more questions. My wife just said she'll hook her horse to it, if I can't get it reassembled. eek.gif

oldhupp1.jpg

Wow, nice car, a lot of stuff looks similar to the earlier ones, except for those gosh darn hinges and slabs of metal on the side! Thanks for the picture, as it appears to be real close to the color on mine, even if it was a repaint at least someone else was thinking the same way! I always thought the engine should be black, I think Ken painted his grey as is some of your engine. Period illustrations usually show black fenders, but some of these are in ads that could be an artists misconception.

As a friend of mine said recently, there have probably been 200 Model 20's restored, and not sure if any are correct! David Coco Winchester Va.

Ken I do not see this two guys names in the Hupp club roster. I think I should tell them that our club has some technical advisors that can help with any questions that they may have about restoring their Model 20's. I should also tell them that in the parts locator we offer some reproduction parts for this model. There are 64 members that own Model 20's that they could converse with. Chuck

Hi Hupp36. If you might be referencing me as one of the "two guys", I just joined the Hupp club. Not in the roster yet. Have owned this car since 1976, it had been sitting inside a doctor's clinic for over 15 years, removed it one week before the clinic burned to the ground. Restored it and drove off and on for 30 years, now re-restoring. thanks dc

Hi Dave I am glad to hear that you got the Hupp in time. I had something simular happen to me.I was not as lucky. I bought 5 Hupps as parts cars and paid for them. Before I could pick them up, the Fedral Gov. put a tax lien on the property and I was not allowed to remove the cars. Hopefully it will be resolved and I will be able to get them home. In 1995 the Hupp Club had a tour in Ohio. A gentleman by the name of Ed Kiely drove his 1909 Model 20 750 miles on tour. No electric start but 1 turn of the crank and it was running. He would let other members who had never road in an open car ride with him as we toured. In 1997 Ed toured with us in Canada and that was about 950 miles. No trouble with the Model 20. I hope to see his son John on one of our upcomming tours. Chuck

Ken The Hupps are 3 Model R's 1 model L and 1 C. These are mostly the running gear, not much for body parts. But 2 complete 8 cyl engines are nice to have. I also like having a spare rear ends for my model 2 model R;s as they tend to give trouble. I will be back in N.H. in April and check to see if the Feds have let loose of my parts cars. Chuck

OK guys- i have sat on the sidelines long enough! I think I know who KenHupp and Hupp36 are and they know me.

Chuck- I still remember the lunch after we had on Sodus Bay after our little weekend get together a few years ago. I am glad to see you are still kicking tires, haven't heard from you in a long while!

Ken, I believe you are also in NE. Am I right? I see you at Hershey most years and talk once in a while in between.

I am in awe of Dean's cleverness and workmanship like everyone else here. I am even inspired to get to work on the 16 as much as possible. Money is very tight right now but I have some things I can get after. I totally stalled out after doing the frame a couple of years ago but it is a neat project and deserves to get done!

I am glad there is a Hupp forum now too!

O K Bill The 36 White Tornato will be in Altoona in August with the rest of the Hupp gang. We hope you and Linda will be there. The next Hupp Herald will have a story that will explain why you have not seen me for a while. After I finish the 26 Ajax I am going to start on the 28 Hupp A roadster. I tried to post a pic of Larry & Vicky's model 20 without sucess. Hows the model L running?.I guess you saw how much fun Larry was having with 16 N so you got one. Chuck

Hi Guys , Bill, you might be thinking of someone else, I've not been to Hershey, a shamefull admission here !One of these years ! I am located in southern New Hampshire , working ( still) on my model 20 . David and I have e-mailed a lot of support to each other as we are both at about the same place in our projects . Chuck we are looking forward to seeing those photos of your friends Hupp 20. Are you using the full screen reply ( bottom right -shaded gray ) ?

Ken

Thanks for the photos of Larry's . Dark in the shop ,but I do see a nice shine there .

Here are some shots of me riviting the back-up plates on the fenders today . I want to show David what I did as he needs to do the same ,only his are painted. Trying to help save his paint.

I started by re-shaping the rivets just a bit for a better match.

I don't have much tooling ,but I made a buck the best I could.You'll notice I made an index mark to make things a little easier working alone .

I punched a hole in some duct tape and put that over the buck .

I installed the plate with #8 machine screws , the first I tried with a clamp , but that was in the way. Then I taped off the area to protect my primer (use adhesive remover after ,it will show if you don't ) .

Installed one by one , watch out for the flesh colored things.

A bit time consuming , but what part of this has been fast ?

Ken

I got those last two photos out of order, opps .

post-59140-143138051146_thumb.jpg

post-59140-143138051153_thumb.jpg

post-59140-143138051159_thumb.jpg

post-59140-143138051164_thumb.jpg

To the Hupp forum. I tried to post these 2 pic/s of my good friend Larry C's 1911 Model 20 Hupp. Wayne did so for

me and thats what is great about this forum , people helping people. I am going to call Larry and maybe he will join the forum and tell you more about this little jewel. And please if you have a question that needs and answer about a Hupp even if you are not a member of the club, post it and we will get you an answer. Chuck

Hi guys and thanks Ken for letting me know about the Hupp forum. It is a great place to share info about Hupmobiles. I recently bought a 1912 Hupp Model 20. I have been working on the chassis on trying to get the missing pieces. Hopefully I have attached a picture of the car when I brought it home. I found remnants of gray on the engine when I took it apart. I am painting it black so I don't have to look at all the oil that these things sling everywhere. As I said, glad to hear from other owners of these cars

Brian

post-50751-143138051516_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

Chuck sent two pictures of my Model 20 to the forum then called me to let me know what he had done.

I will try to attach a couple of pictures of my 1911 Model 20 taken at Mystic Seaport. My 1911 should be painted Hupp Blue but was repainted red in the 60's, although early 1911's were painted red.

I currently own a 1911 Hupp Model 20 runabout, a 1916 Hupp model N Yearround touring, and a 1929 Hupp Century 6 fordor sedan.

I have driven my 1911 in a couple of parades but am having problems keeping my speed up in high gear. If I hit even a slight uphill grade my car will slow down. It will climb a mountain in low speed. I'm not sure if it is the magnito, fuel or both.

Good luck with your restoration.

Larry

Hi Larry- on the uphill problem, don't feel too alone on that one, the thing most lacking on a Hupp 20 is a middle gear! I once almost bought a Model 20 touring, and my good buddy who fools with early cars told me it was a shame I didn't get it, the tourings are better than the runabouts, because you can carry two extra people to help you push!

I have a booklet on how to adjust the Breeze carb, if indeed your car has a Breeze (what a delightful name for a carburetor!). Let me know, could send you a copy.

Attached picture showing some progress on mine.

best David Coco Winchester Va.

post-31482-143138052337_thumb.jpg

My 1910 Hupmobile is yellow- yes yellow ! Not original but I brought it like that and I like it a lot. The engine is grey when it is not covered in oil! I had it out today for a 10 mile run at 22 miles per hour-(a long way from the quoted 50mph of the early sales litrature!) I will try and add in a picture of it-if someone can tell me how!!

Karl

1910 Hupmobile 20

1930 Model A Sports Coupe

1967 Sunbeam Alpine Roadster

And a few practical moderns for everyday trouble free use

The front gas lights are Auto Lamp Company (New York)

The Kerosene side lights are Lucas "King of the Road" No 720s.

The kerosene taillight I think is a modified Hupp 32 side light as it is black metal with "Hupmobile " embossed on the top. All work but don't throw out much light!

I've just puchased a small rushmore gas spotlight which I have restored and will mount on a brass stand off the rear driver side fender when I work out how to engineer it

Karl

Nice car (and nice house) Brian.

Steering wheel on the wrong side for us though. Although my friends who drive LHD cars on our RHD roads find in a real advantage as they can get well out of the traffic stream -only an issue when you overtake something and in old cars (or at least my sort of oldcars) we're normally the overtakee. On our last rally I missed a change down on a hill and almost got overtaken by a 1 cylinder 1903 Holley. Karl

Brian and Karl , nice photos ,thanks for sharing . I like the Hupp in yellow also . Karl, are you in the Aukland area ? Also curious about your hubcaps . They look like the larger style which is usually in aluminum, yours look like brass . I have a set of them also. I'm wondering if they are original ?

Brian the Skylark is one stylish ride !

We live about 6 hours south of Auckland in a small rural community close to Palmerston North. However I grew up in Auckland attending High School there and then Med School for 6 years. My Brother and Father still live in Auckland . My car originally came from the South island (as a collection of bits) but was restored in Auckland

I think my hub caps are copies of the original Aluminuim ones you talk about . The ones with "Hupp Motor Company" embossed into them. Mine don't have this writing I have visons of getting an original aluminuim one and casting a set in brass.

This is a link to an article published on my car soon after the restoration was completed

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/articles/yellow-raceabout-1910-hupmobile-181?page=0