How do I clean a gas tank before coating it?

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I bought a gas tank restoration kit from Bill Hirsch, which includes the etcher and coating. How do i go about cleaning the tank prior to etching it and coating? Thanks

The depends. Sometimes you can get away with just putting a length of chain or a hand full of gravel in the tank and shaking it around. I recently dealt with a tank for my father that had been sitting for six years with old gas in it, and we had to cut open the sides and sand blast the interior before coating it.

Yes the dip tanks at a metal restoration place will work best, and should be the first choice if you have lots of rust. If rust is not the issue, Marine Clean from POR-15 will do an excellent job cleaning old varnish and gunk out of your tank. Has anyone else out there tried it?

Guest imported_pete324rock

Can you not buy muriatic acid in the hardware store there? It is usually quite cheap and does a good job as long as you are careful enough.Buy some,get some rusty tin that resembles the inside of the tank and try it before going for the gas tank.You will get an idea of what will happen.Then if you decide to attack the tank,you will have to block off some of the openings so yoo can "swish" it around all sides.

here is a link to what I am trying to say:

http://www.scootertherapy.com/acidtankpage.html

I tried it and was surprised that what looked like a "write-off" on the inside,turned nice and clean shiny metal.If you use a sealer,you risk the chance of it coming off someday and making a "real mess". Epoxy putty will fill holes quite easily.

Guest oakland

Why would a coating come of if muratic acid is used to clean the tank? I want to coat the inside of the tank, so I don't know if using the is OK

Guest oakland

I don't use ethonal gal blends in my 29 Oakland whose gas tank I am working on. I only use regular unleaded gasoline. Would this still be a problem?

I used www.gas-tank.com 5 years ago and have had zero issues. Lifetime warranty. I believe there are renu dealerships throughout the USA.

They take the tank apart, clean it, put hem back together and coat them inside. I looked inside my tank the last week as I was cleaning the brass fuel strainer (zero gunk), and it was perfect inside. I do run ethanol on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where are you? Here, in tidewater VA we have a shop that 1. Caustic-dips the tank; 2. Acid dips the tank, 3. Caustic re-dips the tank and power washes it. 4. Puts openings in the tank (as necessary) and empties all rust remnants and other leftovers with more power washing. 5. Epoxy-coats the internals of the tank, having previously silver-solderd or otherwise sealed any required cleaning openings. The process makes the inside of the tank impervious to any corrosion, and is thorough... not like backyard "sloshing" where you may or may not get all the rust and crud out of the tank. With water entrainment possible with ethanol blends, this is added insurance against rust. I am not in any way associated with this business. I think of it as a valuable resource, particularly because they have all the environmental/recovery systems in place to properly get rid of the crud. After you have dropped a tank or two on your face, you don't want to do it another time, EH?

Tom: want more info: ppgallan@earthlink.net

• 1 month later...
Guest imported_REATAMANZ

I used put soap and water along with bolts and nuts into my 36 Chevy tank and shook it around to break off the some of the rust. I then poured in a gallon of muratic acid and turned the tank around a few time over a couple of days. Worked fine got the gum out and the rust. I used heavy rubber gloves for safety and then coated the inside with oil to keep from rusting until I can get it back on the car and fill it.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I live in Suffolk, too. I'm trying to get a 75 Mustang II up and running better but the fuel tank is caked in rust on the inside, I'd like more info about that place that does the gas tank cleaning, also what's the average cost for doing something like that? I can't replace the tank, though I'd love to, because they simply do not make replacements yet. I also wrote you an email. Thank you.

Kris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1941 CADDY

I USED PAINT REMOVER WITH NUT AND BOLTS 1/2 GAL. TO CLEAN MY TANK CAN OUT LOOKING LIKE NEW AFTER A FLU GOOD WASHING WITH SOAP AND WATER

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Robin Coleman

Believe me, the POR15 products from Restomotive Labs are the best thing I have EVER come across. I have little experience with auto tanks, but a heckuva lot with motorcycles. I have used their products mant times, and they are excellant, but they ain't cheap either. You get what you pay for! I would be wary of muriatic acid, for it will not cut the goo, but will attack the steel and leave a coating of oxidation behind. For Marine Clean to work the best, use boilingmhot water, and it may take more than one application. Their fuel tank sealer is also the best I have found and once cured, nothing will soften it up.