1928 series "72" Chrysler Royal sedan

Update on progress, I have picked up one part from the machinist and he is working on the other project I gave him. The part I picked up is the gas pedal. I will need to do a small amount of final work and this part will be complete. Bad news with respect to the parts I had stripped; The stripper severly bent up and damaged the front fenders. When I went to pick up the parts I discovered this and confronted the stripper. All I got was dumb looks and BS from him. I hope some of the members in the Atlanta area are following this as I would never use this company again. The repairs to the fenders are going to cost me! I delivered the parts to the body man. He is making slow ,but excellent progress on the body. This guy is an excellent craftsman and his work shows it. From what I can estimate the car will remain with him for another month or two and then back to my shop where I will finish several small details and from there I will start on the chassis. I am still wrestling with how to restore the FEDCO antitheft plate,reproduce the pot metal door and window handles, and reproduce or find the running board trim. As to the interior handles I think I have found the technologies to help me reproduce these castings. This process will consist of first laser reading the parts into a computer then manipulating them to eliminate blemishes and increasing the size to compensate for shrinkage when cast. The parts can then be cast with either the investment technique or using a open mold similiar to sand casting. I plan to tackle the wood wheels first when I start on the chassis. For this I need a source for the hemispherical head carriage bolts that were used on artillery wheels of the day. Does anyone know a source for these carriage bolts. I hope to post some pictures when I get the car back from the body man.

You were right! My car is 120 inch wheelbase. I am still convinced the sports roadster was a shorter chassis. I know someone with one and he is to email me measurments soon. My car has the single swage line on cowl and doors. The red Head cars have a double swage line and smaller brake drums with wire wheels.

I need some more advise...Today I took out the instrument panel to study it and plan for it's restoration. I studied it for a while and also studied the wiring diagram in my owner's manual. While studying it I took apart and reassembled some sections of it to familiarize myself with it's inner workings. I took out the gas gauge and it fell apart in my hands. It seems the inner frame of the unit was a zinc diecasting and had deteriorated. The guts of this gauge will have to be replaced in it's entirety. I can't do this. I didn't open or remove any more of the guages in fear I might end up with many small heaps of parts. When I was through in the shop I got out my Hemmings Motor News and discovered 11 ads for instrument rebuilders. I was wondering who you might reccommend to rebuild my instrument cluster and what experiencies you have had or if there are some rebuilders that don't advertize in Hemmings; but you could recommend.

post-34731-143137990759_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137990764_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137990768_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137990772_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137990778_thumb.jpg

I have a possible solution To plating your Fedco id tag without removing it from the car. Caswell Inc. has a plating system using a damp wand to do small scale plating with out immersing the item in a tank. You could then use a Dremal tool as a buffer to get a shine. If there are areas of the plate that are not supposed to have plating on them a fine paintbrush and liquid mask could be used. Look up caswell on the net. Hope this is useful. I like how you are trying to do things on this car. Keep up the good work!

Harry J,

I came up with my moniker because that is basically what I have. I have a 1915 Oldsmobile model 42 Roadster that has a lot of nickel plated pieces, even in such underhood places as the horn, wiring loom and outlet pipe for the water pump. Seemed like a good name to to me and I don't think it will offend anyone to much. Be sure to tell the Caswell people what you are trying to do as they do have a number of different systems.

Motoring along

Harry J,

I could post you a picture of my car if you like. But does it really belong here with your Chrysler? Reading back through your posts, I saw where you were asking for carriage bolts to fit your hubs. I assume that you are looking for those with a high dome. Restoration supply has some that I have used after a little machining of the edges to fit the round depressions in the hubs. They don't have a large selection of sizes though. You mentioned that you are in the Atlanta area. There is a place in Marietta called threads for the south that has a large selection of all kinds of nuts and bolts. you might find something usable here. Where exactly in the Atlanta area are you?

nickelroadster...Thanks for the reference to Restoration Supply and Threads for the South. I was aware of R/S; but not of Threads, I'll have to check them out. Maybe you could post a pic or two of your car one of the other forums. As to were my shop is; It is in the old Atlanta Speed Shop on Angier Ave. near the Carter Center.

Yesterday, the machinist working on the two projects I took him called and said they were done. Today I drove up and picked them up. As always he did a superior job. The guys on the assembly line in 1928 couldn't tell the difference from their work and his. The gas pedal was an easy matter; however, the door stop arms were a different matter. These required machining some small step studs and recreating some odd looking small flat anti-rattle springs, then brading these studs to replicate the original brad. These arms go between the slots in my third picture in this posting to the upper door jam stud in the fourth picture. Nickelroadster, I left you a PM with my cell #. I am not at the shop during the day. By the way the Atlanta Speed shop occupied the building in the days when NASCAR wasn't cool.

post-34731-143137991462_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143137991468_thumb.jpg

Harry, In regards to your instument cluster restoration. There is a company close to me here in Cleveland called the John Wolf Co. I had the pleasure of visiting his shop last year when I had him rebuild my fuel sending unit.I saw first hand his work. It was absolutely breathtaking! He gave me a tour and not only does he rebuild the inner workings of the unit, he also restores the face to look better than new.

Give them a try:

John Wolf Co.

440-942-0083

www.antiqueinstrument.com

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on progress......Today I talked to John Wolf; he has my instrument cluster. I gave him the go ahead to restore the assembly after we talked a few details. He told me it might be between 4 to 6 months before I see it again. I look foward to that day. I also talked to Joey Jessers, re: the pop out switch. Hopefully, he will have it replicated soon. The body work is coming along slow; however, it is excellent! I hope to retrieve the body with all of the sheet metal work complete in the next 45 to 60 days. When I get the body back it will be my turn to restore for a while; I look foward to getting my hands bloodied and dirty again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question someone out there must know the answer to. Was the front floor cover in the series "72" a carpet or a rubber floor mat? I have no evidence in either the car I am restoring or the parts car, as to which the car was originally supplied with. I have a strong suspicion the front floor boards were covered with a rubber mat.

Leigh...Thanks for the picture. I can't tell what the floor covering is; however, there are several other details which are interesting. The two tone dash and the shape of the gear shift knob are points of interest for me. The early radio is also interesting. Where is this car at, can you get any more pictures? What does the mat in your 66 look like?

That mat is awesome!! I have never known an original floor mat covering to actually have the word Chrysler on it! Has anyone else seen an original or reproduction with Chrysler on it?!?! You may have something special there. If there are no reproductions available I would definetly look into getting that reproduced. I'm sure other people would be interested in sharing the cost especially if it fit their car. I know I would be.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...Today I drove up to the body man's place to check out progress and pay my bill up to date. The car is coming along in an awesome fashion!!!! Body work on all four of the fenders plus the splash aprons has been finished. When I arrived; the left side fenders and splash apron were being fitted. They looked great. In the next week or so the right side will be fitted. As you know the instrument panel is in the hands Mr. Wolf; and the "pop-out" cylinder is in the hands of Mr. Jessers. There are several issues extant....Front floor covering?...How was the FEDCO plate coated?.......... How can I reproduce the door handles?.....What about the running board molding????

Guest Dean_H.

WTG Harry, It's good to hear progress is being made on your car. Sounds like you have an aggressive body shop. What color(s) are you going with?

Dean....At the moment I am not going to paint it. When it gets back from the body shop It will be in the white (primed). I plan to do some small detail work on the body myself and then I am going to set the body aside and restore the chassis. When the time comes to paint it I plan to use the same colors (Green and Black) that it and the parts car were originally painted.

Keiser31....Thanks,......I have studied three of these plates up close and one posted on this post in detail. The three plates I have studied up close are: the car I'm restoring, the parts car (both series "72"Chryslers),and a 1927 Marmon. From these I can't tell what they were originally coated with. I suspect they were plated; don't ask me why,but at the minute that's my guess.............Where have you seen FEDCO plates?

I have seen FEDCO plates on a ton of early Chryslers. I have owned some early Chryslers that had the plates. One was a 1926 Chrysler 58 4-door sedan and another was a 1929 Chrysler 75 rumble seat roadster. I also had a couple of early Chrysler dashboards that had them. I used to be the president of the WPC Club (Walter Percy Chrysler) San Diego region. I do not know how many companies used the plates. They were brass with nickel plating and riveted to the dashboards. If you look at them one way, you can see the name "CHRYSLER" on the plate. If you look at the plate on a slight angle, you can usually see a serial number etched and intertwined in the Chrysler logo.

I do not want to brag, but I do know and have a lot of valuable information on the early Chrysler cars. The fact that my Dad worked for Chrysler Export/Import Division on Wyoming Avenue in Detroit has had me quite interested since childhood. If anyone out there has any questions about Chrysler restorations, I may be able to help. keiser31@charter.net

First, I would like to thank everyone again for their help in my efforts to restore my survivor. The above response is a great help in my efforts and is an example of what I consider is a prime function of this club and this website. keiser31 has helped me confirm the coating on FEDCO plates and Nickleroadster has given me the method to restore the part. Today, I received the repro "pop-out" from Jesser's...............Excellent work. Another thanks is due Mikzjr, via this site for refering me to Jesser's and posting a question on the CCCA Tech site. Tomorrow I plan to check out progress on the body work and pay my bill up to date. Hopefully,,,in about three or four weeks the car will be back in my shop.

Quick update........The reproduction of the "pop-out" switch mechanism is coming along just fine. Jessers built a prototype. We are working together to fine tune the design. I am going to send out my parts and data tomorrow to Jessers; to continue the reproduction process. I talked to the body man today............he had to apply himself to a couple of other jobs in the last two weeks................only a small amount of progress has been made. As to the instrument cluster .....to date , I have not heard from Mr. Wolf.