1928 series "72" Chrysler Royal sedan

Mike, Thanks for reminding me. Since I got the cylinder back from Jessers I haven't thought about the "pop out" switch. My cable has a fairly presentable tag on it in about the same shape the Sparton tag pictured above is in. I am going to be talking with the Pulfer & Williams/LaVine Restoration folks in the near future and will ask if they have a replicated these tags.

Guest Dean_H.

Harry, it's good to see you getting on with your project. I recently had the same horn issue as you. My Hupp had a Sparton horn on it. It was in nice shape, I stripped, painted and re-installed it on the car. I also had a Klaxon horn on the shelf. When I hooked up the battery, I discovered the Klaxon to have a better sound. I tinkered with the Sparton adjustment screw, but the Klaxon still sounded better. I ended up stripping and painting the Klaxon and installed it on my car. Also, the Klaxon fit better, I became suspicious the Sparton was aftermarket, but I'm not certain. Good luck on your decision.

Guest Dean_H.

OK Harry, Here's a couple of pics. I just noticed your Sparton is slightly larger than the Klaxon you have. My set up is the opposite, the Klaxon is the larger horn (the electric component end). So, your sound results may differ from mine.

In this first picture of both horns, the Sparton is on top.

horn2.jpg

Here you can see the Klaxon tag, it's in pretty good shape.

horn1.jpg

The reason I indicated the Klaxon fit better was because of the 1/4" mounting bolts. The Sparton had #10 screws and was sloppy in the bracket holes.

horn.jpg

Dean_H...Thanks.....This is very interesting. Looks like Klaxon and Sparton produced several different patterns of horns in the late twenties. The mounting bracket on your Hupmobile looks like my Chrysler. The "guts"(technical term) of the two horns I have look very similiar. The sheet metal is the primary difference in the horns I have, ie. trumpet sheet metal and end cap. Dean, I can't read the #/series of your Klaxon: mine is a series 18-B.

Guest Pulfer&Williams

Harry,

Your tags have been sent out and we should hear something back here in the next week, from there I will call and qoute you and work our our special arrangement haha. I'm looking forward to getting these out to you. I'll be in contact with you as soon as I hear back.

Take Care,

Travis

Pulfer&Williams

Guest Pulfer&Williams

Hey guys,

To start out to Vern, no we will not be at the Dunkirt swap meet in May.

Harry, Good news! the qoutes are in so I will give you a call today. And as for the decals, unfortunately no we do not reproduce those.

Travis

Pulfer&Williams

Guest Pulfer&Williams

Hey Mike,

Shoot me an email about these electro-lock tags and any pictures/info that you have on them. If we haven't made them before we could have them reproduced with sufficient information or an original tag. Email me at lavine@bnin.net and we can talk about it more if you'd like.

Travis

Pulfer&Williams

Guest David B

Harry , Liegh, and other 72 restorers ,at last I have put the body on the chassis.Lots of work to follow , but a big achievement for me. Once I work out how to reduce the size of these photos , I will send more detailed ones. I will be away for all of April , so will be back in touch. Hope this photo comes through ! Regards ,David.

post-59837-143138055465_thumb.jpg

Guest David B

Sorry about filling up screen with photo. If you copy and paste it , it does reduce the size to normal .......no more photos until I can learn how to reduce them. Old cars are much more fun than this stuff !

Hi to everybody I'm new here.

I'm restoring a 6 cylinders Chrysler.This car arrived new in France around 1928.I own the VIN n° CW273H index.php?mn=2&fm=&el=44&lg=FR

The body is signed by Fischer

Job n°7890 Body n°203.

Can you tell me if this car is a type 70 or 72 and what is his year of production.

I'm also looking for a rim, a wheel-prop for the spare wheel and rim attachment bolts on the wheel.Can you help me please. index.php?mn=2&fm=&el=44&lg=FR

greetings from France

AAA....Sounds like a model 72. What wheelbase do you have? Here are the 1927 numbers and 1928 numbers. I may have some more of the rim bolts. Got a photo of what you need?

post-37352-143138055722_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138055724_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AAA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I need now

I can't found the wheel rim.I'm also searching the wheel-prop because I made a temporary one but it's not as good as an original.</div></div>

AAA.....Here is your car.

post-37352-143138056369_thumb.jpg

Guest David B

Harry, The picture was taken on our 4 acre block of land which borders a timber reserve ,which you can see in the background. Most trees are eucalyptus (gum trees) and some low scrub. We live approx 140 kms SE of Perth ,Western Australia, in a small town called Brookton. Our house is on the edge of town , and also overlooks farming paddocks as well as the bush. Very nice spot. David.

AAA.................. Looks like, Keiser31 has your car's identity pegged. The headlamps and the tail light are not standard equipment on U.S. delivered cars. Looks like your car was originaly supplied with Depress Beam headlights as the lower stanchion bracket is still on your hood shelves. Very solid looking car you have. P.S.......thanx for the picture of the Fedco plate.

Mike..........Travis (LaVine Restorations/Pulfer & Williams) hasn't gotten back to me yet. I hope to hear from him in the next week or so. In our last conversation, he said he was having the Sparton tags made and would call me when the batch was in his hands. Quick update on the progress on my restoration. I have not sat on my hands since I got the car back from the body folks. I have done alot of study and observation to plan the next steps. My plan is to perform some small detail/repair work on the body now; such as sanding the wood base frame and painting/preserving it and then setting it aside and restoring the chassis. I look foward to the day I start on the chassis; as I am (in my opinion) better at chassis work than body work. At the minute, I am trying to find a sand blast booth and some kind of a way that I can paint small #'s of parts ie......paint booth. The first step in the chassis restoration will be to remove and store the body and related parts until I need them.

Set back in the restoration,,,,,,,,,After spending quite a few hours and a few $'s to fabricate the tongue&groove flooring from scratch; "Mr. Badwrench" here made two mistakes in cutting out the floorboard. Back to square one!!!!! I am going to have to fabricate another tongue&groove slab from scatch. I could cuss at this point; however, I'm sure this won't be the last time in this restoration a set back will occur. Here are some pictures of the present state of the front floorboard project.

post-34731-143138061936_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138061946_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138061956_thumb.jpg

Look what I found in my Junk pile. (I have bought out several autoparts dealers of their old stock parts and bought a few select parts at flea markets in the past.) A 18B Klaxon! Here's a picture of my find and the junk horde.

post-34731-143138063013_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138063023_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138063034_thumb.jpg

Quick update, progress is somewhat slow due to the fact I had to backtrack. In the last week; I have acquired several white oak boards, cut them to length, planed them to thickness,cut tougues and matching grooves, and "dry" fitted, and am ready to glue and clamp (see pics). The next step will be to cut the floorboard out of the blanks, and hopefully this time "Mr.Badwrench" won't mess it up! Concurrent with performing the remake of the floorboard I have been studying for the next step and beyond.

post-34731-143138064362_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138064372_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138064381_thumb.jpg

Dave.................regretfully Detroit didn't see the need for possum fur soon enough. Yes, due to this catastrophic failure, we are in the mess we are in today! Hupp36, yes, to replicate the look of the floor boards I must paint these. Anyway,,, here are some pictures of progress. I have glued and clamped the floor board pieces I produced last week.

post-34731-143138065667_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138065676_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138065685_thumb.jpg

So far.........so good....I cut out the basic floor board. It fits great. Now, I have to cut out the rectangular battery access hole. I plan to have this operation performed by a CNC router set up; although, a friend of mine offered to produce a router template.

post-34731-143138066983_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138066992_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138067001_thumb.jpg

post-34731-14313806701_thumb.jpg

post-34731-14313806987_thumb.jpg

Progress report....................At present the following steps in the restoration are taking place; the guage cluster is in John Wolf's hands; the horn restoration project is stalled as when I made the original post I thought I had access to a sand/media blast booth (at present I don't); even with this delay Pulfer and Williams are reproducing the manufacturer's tags. I am working on the floorboards. I am very close to saying " Good Bye " to wood working. As of late I have been following Steve Braverman's post relative to casting rubber parts as I am trying to replicate the two rubber floor grommets that sealed the body arround the brake/ clutch/ steering column area and the shifter/emergency brake area.( I will include some pictures in the near future) I have been working with a friend of mine to replicate some roll forming dies to produce reproductions of the running board molding. He has made a set of dies.....I hope we have a match.....more anon. I am still studying re-casting the interior door handles,cranks, escutheons etc. A major question remains...........What did the original front floor covering look like??????? I am studying the chassis prior to re-restoration (the original effort was expended in the mid-sevendies).