Something different

Yes indeed the 49 Plymouth Suburban, given credit as the first all steel station wagon (although Jeep beat them by 2 years). It started the fifties trend to station wagons by showing a wagon could be as practical as a sedan.

The guy says he is anxious to sell but I don't see how he can get that much for a not very desirable car in that condition.

Definitely a bit of an ugly Duckling, but you have got to love the lack of serious rust. I wish I could buy all my project cars in Arizona! Probably not that bad a deal with a $2000.00 and flexable asking price. Station wagons have a definite appeal , especially two doors.

Greg in Canada

Yes indeed the 49 Plymouth Suburban, given credit as the first all steel station wagon (although Jeep beat them by 2 years). It started the fifties trend to station wagons by showing a wagon could be as practical as a sedan.

Many folks credit Crosley with bringing out the first all steel station wagon in November, 1947; however, Jeep came out with their wagon (based on a truck model) in 1946. I guess it depends on how one defines the term "station wagon", on whether or not Crosley was the first to come out with an all steel station wagon. Is a true "station wagon" based on a truck model, or on an automobile (sedan) model? Back in the day, certain municipalities recognized legal differences between the automobile-based sedan delivery and the truck-based panel delivery. As I recall, most early (1930s and 1940s) wood-bodied "station wagons" were based on automobile (sedan) models and not truck models, but, then again, many of the even earlier "station wagons", or hacks, were based on truck models.

I guess it is all in one's point of view, but it appears that Crosley was the first to offer an all steel "station wagon" based on an automobile (sedan) model.

In 1948 Crosley produced more station wagons than any other manufacturer in the United States (possibly the World), but unfortunately, it was all down hill from there, with Crosley going out of business in 1952.

By the way, the Plymouth "station wagon" that is the subject of this thread looks like it could be a really great project for someone!

Cheers,

Grog[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Guest bkazmer
How about the all metal Chevy "suburban" station wagon type vehicles of the '30's....

They are truck-based, so maybe the first SUV.

I credit the Jeep for being a passenger car since the only models they made were the Jeepster convertible and the station wagon. The off road type Jeep was a different animal although related. But then, the 3d road model was a panel truck so we are back to the commercials.

Chev Suburban was based on a panel truck with windows, not quite the same thing as a passenger car based station wagon.

So maybe Crosley was first with Plymouth the first from a major.