1926 Buick Starter Motor back in service

AzBob

Completed inspection, cleaning, reassembly and painting of the '26 starter. Actually found a good write up on the starter in the Shop Manual. It was listed in the index under "Motor and generator."

Upon disassembly, found the brushes to be in good condition with plenty of material left. The commutator slots were filled with copper in places. All slots were cleaned out and undercut. The manual specifically says to undercut the slots 1/32" . Didn't use any solvents on the windings, did not want to inadvertently remove any insulating lacquer. Only cleaned with soapy water damp rag.

Next attention was directed at cleaning the pinion splines, and shifting yoke. The over running clutch is not serviceable as the cover was rolled on at the factory. All appeared to be in good shape after cleaning. Some residual oil was found in the bottom of the field housing, this was allowed to drain off. Placed a very light dab of SuperLube grease on the bearing surfaces, as well as lubing the spline, yoke and clutch assembly. Reassembled, then did a functional test with jumper cables connected to a 6 volt battery. Spun up to speed fine with no sparks or arcing at the commutator. Finally, masked off and painted exterior with satin black.

post-101134-143142940765_thumb.jpg

post-101134-143142940768_thumb.jpg

post-101134-143142940774_thumb.jpg

post-101134-14314294078_thumb.jpg

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Great job Bob! I just did all the same type of job but on a smaller scale. I had to rebuild the heater and defogger motors on my 1937-41.

post-79073-143142943972_thumb.jpgBut you have given me incentive to start servicing my spare starter generator for my 1925-25.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Larry

post-79073-143142943966_thumb.jpg

Larry, nice job on the heater / defogger motor renovation! A great way to prep for the larger scale starter/generator.

Thanks all for the comments. Sharing our experience gleaned from these projects will no doubt help others restoring and maintaining their Pre War Buicks.

• 2 years later...

hi it is a tool you use while the motor is running to clean the com and help the brush's bed in as some of the stone wears away and goes under the brush  it shapes the brush into shape of the com we have used these at work it looks like the same one I would think its to big to fit into the starter its more for electric motors which can be kept running for longer to give you time to do the job  

• Like 1

Hello Bob,  read your starter article and have done most of the same to my 28 starter.  Works good most of the time but once in a while it will not disengage and continues to run, until I tap the starter pedal again. In your rebuild you mention an over-run clutch, which part is that in your pics and could this be my culprit.  Thanks BV

Bigvic, here is a picture of the over running clutch. The only thing I did was clean it with solvent, let air dry and then packed a little lube in through the cover plate gap. The over running clutch should be free to rotate in one direction.  If memory serves me correctly, there should be a spring in the housing behind the pinion. This was retained by a  cover and snap ring. 

Hope this helps. 

Bob

over running clutch.jpg

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)