Caddy Tail Fins on A Chevy

Hudsy Wudsy

Helfen, In case you misunderstood, the fake Caddy lights were NEVER on any car I owned. What I meant was it's sort of embarasing owning them!

Dave, in case you misunderstood my comment I was referring to what you said;

" I don't consider a car with these to be customized, just "dressed up" if you will, by attaching them with 3 sheet metal screws through their provided holes."

Dave, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. Or maybe in your case, admitting that you have Caddy tail fins. I'm sure that there is probably a twelve step program for you somewhere. Larry W, I agree with you. If I came across a '50 Chevy at a show with this fins, it would likely bring a smile to my face. Heck, the story of a Chicago Hudson dealer having enough clout to get away with rebadging new cars and selling them with these Caddy tail fins makes me split a gut every time I think of it. I mean really, what an anarchist! It's a little interesting to ponder just what in the way of aftermarket goodies are acceptable, though. Would a well restored '50 Bel Air loose points for having fog lights which weren't "Unity"? If it had back-up lights, would it be wrong if there were "Unity" and not "Guide?" I see a lot of Fulton sun visors on cars. Are they inappropriate? I suppose that my point here, is there are a lot of little aftermarket things that aren't anywhere near as outrageous as Caddy tail fins. What, if any, is acceptable?

In this month's Hemmings it was reported that the VCCA is going to accept modified cars (and GMC trucks).

Yes Dave, they are trying to. There is a provision in the VCCA by-laws that allows the membership to overturn a motion set forth by the Board of Directors. A coalition of have been formed of concerned past President's and Vice President's, (which I am part of) to organize this effort. Members who did not like this change were contacting us, and asked us if we could do something, so here we are. We have just started with the petition and have had overwhelming response. The way it looks now the club will be going back to the way it was very shortly.

I was planning on starting a thread tomorrow with more information on this. Nothing against modifed cars or the owners, it's just not what we were about for the past 53 years. I don't want to hi-jack this thread

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

For one example of how accessories are handled in judging, Model A Ford judging imposes a limit of 5 Ford-authorized accessories. They are considered correct only on vehicles manufactured after the date determined that the accessory became available and the item must be appropriate for the body type.

Non-Ford accessories are limited to two, that were offered during the Model A years. To further refine what is and is not acceptable there is a list for each category. The presence of an excessive number, or those on the unacceptable list, results in points being deducted.

Hurrah for the VCCA!

Thanks, because we are pretty sure we are going to stop this change and revert back to the club it was and for the reason the current membership joined. If people like modified cars thats fine there are many other clubs for them, but there was only one club for those who prefer historically preserved Chevrolets.

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

Dave@Moon, well, YOU would know, so I will give up my arty creations, MAYBE.......

Dale in Indy

None of my comments had anything to do with arty cosmetics. You asked for an explanation of the aesthetic of preferring an original ride to a modified one, and (from a purely driving perspective) I provided one.

=======================

Thanks to all who expressed sympathy with my accident. Now if i could only get the guy's (State Farm) insurance adjuster to have something like sympathy....:rolleyes:

For one example of how accessories are handled in judging, Model A Ford judging imposes a limit of 5 Ford-authorized accessories. They are considered correct only on vehicles manufactured after the date determined that the accessory became available and the item must be appropriate for the body type.

Non-Ford accessories are limited to two, that were offered during the Model A years. To further refine what is and is not acceptable there is a list for each category. The presence of an excessive number, or those on the unacceptable list, results in points being deducted.

Just to avoid confusion. This is NOT how accessories are handled in AACA judging.

Heflin,

I would not get to excited looks like the VCCA will remain the VCCA and in the control of the membership from the amount of signatures on the petitions, if the Board Members wanted to belong to a club that embraces modified vehicles then they should have belonged to one. Not have taken an oath to the membership when they became Board Members that they were going to uphold the mission restoration and preservation, and then destroy it after 53 years of success. If modifieds cars are your thing fine, but no need to step on anyone else's values. If you join a club and find out it is not for you then fine, move on until you find the right one.

Guest AlCapone
Heflin,

I would not get to excited looks like the VCCA will remain the VCCA and in the control of the membership from the amount of signatures on the petitions, if the Board Members wanted to belong to a club that embraces modified vehicles then they should have belonged to one. Not have taken an oath to the membership when they became Board Members that they were going to uphold the mission restoration and preservation, and then destroy it after 53 years of success. If modifieds cars are your thing fine, but no need to step on anyone else's values. If you join a club and find out it is not for you then fine, move on until you find the right one.

Every board member that voted for the change should have the integrity to resign. They are an embarrassment to the organization !

Wayne

I have two pairs of these fins, one that looks to fit the A-body GM cars, and the other maybe '49-'51 Fords.

Found the ad in my 1957 Warshawsky's catalog. The fins came from the stock of a long-closed auto parts

store on Main St, acquired about 20 years ago from the store's owner. Both versions use the same lens.

caddy_fins_bolt_on.jpg

caddy_fins_bolt_on_ad_original.jpg

I thought they might make a tacky pair of illuminated bookends. ;)

TG

Heflin,

Exactly! I once belonged to a club that was set up for as they say purest. There were plenty of clubs for that brand specific make that had modified cars. Why these people joined is beyond me. Our club was sort of infiltrated by a large enough of new numbers.. Once they voted themselves in leadership rolls it was all over for this pure stock club. It is a joke today with about 85+ % modified cars. Once you get into leadership position, all you need to do is start changing all the clubs laws. VCCA beware!

Dave, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. Or maybe in your case, admitting that you have Caddy tail fins. I'm sure that there is probably a twelve step program for you somewhere. Larry W, I agree with you. If I came across a '50 Chevy at a show with this fins, it would likely bring a smile to my face. Heck, the story of a Chicago Hudson dealer having enough clout to get away with rebadging new cars and selling them with these Caddy tail fins makes me split a gut every time I think of it. I mean really, what an anarchist! It's a little interesting to ponder just what in the way of aftermarket goodies are acceptable, though. Would a well restored '50 Bel Air loose points for having fog lights which weren't "Unity"? If it had back-up lights, would it be wrong if there were "Unity" and not "Guide?" I see a lot of Fulton sun visors on cars. Are they inappropriate? I suppose that my point here, is there are a lot of little aftermarket things that aren't anywhere near as outrageous as Caddy tail fins. What, if any, is acceptable?

Hudsy, Perhaps a line may need to be drawn between the cars that are to be judged, and cars that are merely being shown. Not all show car owners care to have their vehicles judged. In that case, aftermarket accessories would be acceptable for "show" purposes, only to demonstrate what was available as automotive "chic" back in the day. However, if a vehicle is to be judged for points, I would adhere to the strictest standard of authenticity that I could attain.

TG57, thank you so much for sharing that page with us. It's such a hoot. Tail fins weren't the only things enjoying their heyday - the "Chrome Center Trunk Fin" is just a riot. It was an understandably interesting and optimistic time. Shortages caused the economy to stall and stumble for a few years, but in time there was money to spend and companies pitched an endless list of new things on which guys could spend their money. It's sort of interesting to see the array of war influenced products that were trotted out. Studebaker front ends looked like the front of Jet airplanes, Hudson named their cars (Hornet and Wasp) for aircraft carriers. (And you guys thought Hudsons were named for bees!) Nash, Hudson, Crosley and Willys all thought that the market would want small cars, when what they really wanted was Buicks. I hesitate to suggest that the front of a '50 Buick looks like a tank, but in a pinch it would do until a real tank came along. Back to the tailfins in the catalog page above, they reminded me right away of a car you don't see all that often. Namely, a Willys Aero. All in all, I think their little tail fins are kind of tasteful:

willys-aero-10.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF0mTHcoXj5A7XyuvhgeJR2gQvFBg7oaD-5PXPH38GG0z-ugZz

Hudsy, It didn't work that way. Too shameful. When Antiquities Anonimous found out I had those fake Caddy lights they nullified all my progress and I'm back to the first step again.

Interesting how some threads go big time and others quickly fizzle. .

Dave, this thread could go on indefinitely because I think that everyone has a little well concealed "Tail Fin Envy".

Larry W, I see your point entirely. I can see where competing in a show where a car was being judged by factory new standards, the presence of inappropriate accessories would be glaring. I've been to mostly informal shows over the years and I have to admit that I enjoy the cars so much that I often don't pay a lot of attention to the finer points of authenticity and correctness. Still, while tail fins on a Hudson or a Chevy may amuse me a little, that shark fin, above, bolted to the trunk of '55 Corvette or T-Bird would give me a heart attack.

Dave, this thread could go on indefinitely because I think that everyone has a little well concealed "Tail Fin Envy".

Well yes, when they came factory stock on the cars. If money and space would allow I would love a 59 Pontiac Catalina or a 57 Coupe de Ville.