Painted Beauty Rings, What do These Fit??

Rowdy

I picked these up at a local auction last Saturday. Does anyone know what they fit? There were several hubcaps with the pile of stuff, but have not been able to match them up to any of them looking at pic's on the web. It was suggested on the HAMB that they are likely Mopar. Thanks Rod

post-43599-143142305538_thumb.jpg

post-43599-143142305549_thumb.jpg

post-43599-14314230556_thumb.jpg

post-43599-14314230557_thumb.jpg

Here are the only 4 styles of Mopar hubcaps that fit inside the rings that were with the pile of stuff. The other Mopar hubcaps were 1950's Dosoto and are nearly as big as the rings and have their won valve stem holes. Thanks Rod

post-43599-143142305619_thumb.jpg

post-43599-143142305629_thumb.jpg

post-43599-143142305639_thumb.jpg

post-43599-14314230565_thumb.jpg

Were the Dodge and DeSoto hub caps larger than the the Plymouth hub caps in those years? As you can see in the pic's above the 46-48 Plymouth hubcaps that were with the same pile of stuff are too small to help hold these things on. Also if hidden by the hub caps, why would they pin stripe the inside edge as you would never see the stripes? Thanks Rod

Edited by Rowdy (see edit history)

Thanks guys, I am guessing they came with the 46-48 Plymouth hub caps then. Now to figure out the SS beauty rings that were in the pile also. Likely they are for the 38 Plymouth hub caps. I think the Dodge hub caps are pickup, so likely did not have them. Rod

Guest markrush

I would love to know of a source for technical data on postwar Chrysler wheels and trim. I know there were 15" wheels that had bead widths of 6 1/2" and about 5 1/2" and there were wheels that take a 10" hubcap and others that take an 11". Almost nobody that sells the rare stainless trim rings knows exactly which their rings fit. I'm not sure if there are any identifying marks on them. Anyone know of an authoritative source for information on Chrysler wheels and trim?

Not an expert but I have dealt with this issue before.

Chrysler Corp made it very confusing

They used the smaller rims and hubcaps/trim rings for the 7.00/7.20 X 15 tires.

Then they went to "balloon" tires in late 47 (8.20 X 15) and that is where the larger rims and hubcap/trim rings came in. Also, they switched rear fenders. The larger tires needed more room so the rear fender doglegs were reduced from approx 6" wide to 2 1/2" wide. I have seen cars with the incorrect fenders.

The bolt patterns between the rims are different, too.

So if you have a smaller rim you cannot use the wide trim rings.

Chrysler did not, to the best of my knowledge, use 16" rims during these years - 46-49

There are no identifying marks that I have ever seen on trim rings for Chryslers.

You need to be very careful when buying trim rings for Chrysler cars of this era. They all look alike but they truly are not.

Guest markrush

Thank you, Joe, that is helpful. However, I did once put the narrower rim on my wheel hub and the bolts lined up fine. My car came with the narrow rim as the spare. (If I recall correctly I think it had an old H78-15 tire). I had a flat and was able to mount the spare on to get home. I have since acquired a wide spare wheel and have 7.60 x 15 all around. Their specs said they could go up to a 6 1/2" bead width which just fits the wider rim.

What I would love to know is the exact dimensions of the stainless rings that fit the 15" wheel with an 11" hubcap (i.e. what is their exact outside diameter and the exact diameter of the inner opening?)

I am pretty sure these are for 16" wheels. There is another set on e-bay identical to the three I have. One of his has been cut down alittle. Since I do not have any Mopar wheels of this vintage I could not see how well they fit. I did try them on a Ford wheel and they stuck out about 1/4". Maybe on a different style they would fit. I may try that tomorrow. Rod

Here are a couple pictures of the "Real" correct MoPar 1947-8 Chrysler 6" wide wheel trim rings and what they look like. These fit the heavy chassis cars C38 and C39 Chryslers- the Large bolt pattern. Factory Mopar stainless trim rings use jagged tangs around the outside that partially hold the trim ring to the wheels, then the hub cap covers the center raised portion of the ring.

I found these locally after looking for 30 plus years!

I'm not sure what the above trim rings are for. There are so many possibilities!

post-62228-143142322424_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142322428_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the "Real" correct MoPar 1947-8 Chrysler 6" wide wheel trim rings and what they look like. These fit the heavy chassis cars C38 and C39 Chryslers- the Large bolt pattern. Factory Mopar stainless trim rings use jagged tangs around the outside that partially hold the trim ring to the wheels, then the hub cap covers the center raised portion of the ring.

I found these locally after looking for 30 plus years!

I'm not sure what the above trim rings are for. There are so many possibilities!

Do you want to sell these??????

Guest markrush

Thank you c49er. Outer diameter and inner opening diameter would help. The 15" wheel was a measurement at the seat of the bead, and the rim is larger, so when people put these on eBay, I think sometimes they call them a 16" ring. Knowing the actual trim ring diameter and inner opening measurements would be nice because you can always ask them to measure their product.

• 1 month later...
Guest olduscars

c49er Since you found NOS beauty rings, do you have any extra used beauty rings. I am looking for 2 or 3. I can have them refurbished if they are not too badly dented.

bill