1934 Pierce-Arrow 1240A Enclosed Drive Limo.

Guest Asset Management Solution

1934 Pierce-Arrow 1240A Enclosed Drive Limo. RARE 144 inch wheelbase. Owned since October 9th 1958. 2 owner car, est. one of 114 Built in this wheelbase. Rare color. Everything works like new, starts right up, smooth as silk.

175hp, 462 cu. in. V12 engine, single downdraft carburetor, three-speed manual transmission with free-wheeling, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 144" Car is loacated in the North East.

Please email offers to ibuyoldtoys@hotmail.com

post-92979-143141870841_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870861_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870876_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870893_thumb.jpg

post-92979-14314187092_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870934_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870948_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870964_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870978_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141870995_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141871013_thumb.jpg

post-92979-143141871027_thumb.jpg

Very nice car, you really need to come up with an asking price though....

Also, in 1934 Pierce didn't use hydraulic brakes, there was a Stewart Warner braking system, mechanical with a power assist from the back end of the transmission. Driven with the driveshaft was basically a clutch mechanism, and when the brake pedal was pushed, it engaged the clutch on the spinning driveshaft, using the momentum of the car to slow it down. Worked great, except at about half a mile an hour when car was barely moving, then it gets scary....

Also, usually an "enclosed drive limo" would have a divider window.

Driving a Pierce 12 is a fantastic experience. As it sits, it'll do 70 all day long, and comfortably.....I miss my production Silver Arrow V-12, and in fact talked to the now-owner just today, he got it from me over 25 years ago....

Good luck with sale, beautiful car...

Asset Management Solution,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I agree with David. That is a beautiful car. I would love to own it, but am relatively sure that I can't afford it.

Please do add a price and a little bit more information as required by the AACA Discussion Forum Buy/Sell Forum rules:

Buy/Sell Forums

IMPORTANT: Put either FS for "For Sale" or WTB for "Want to Buy" in the subject line along with the year, make and model.

EXAMPLE: FS - 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe

Please include the following information in the body of your post:

Year

Make

Model

Price

Description

Location (City, State, Country)

Contact Information (Name, Email and Phone)

EBAY URL if also listed on EBAY

Incomplete, overly commercial, or non-automotive related postings may be deleted without notice!

Want to place a commercial ad? Great! Use our http://forums.aaca.org/f158/.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hello, Car has dual Stromberg carbs, not a single. Can't tell from the photos if it has jump seats, but with no devider is is not a limo. All 34 PA V-12s are rare cars, reguardless of body style. Post some engine photos and a shot of the back side of the front seat. Car looks nice. Ed

The purple antique car plate with white letters on the running board appears to be a Pennsylvania license plate, so first guess is the car is in that state....I agree that no one is going to throw out an email offer, they'll want to come see the car and hear it run, a lot of the value is in the V-12 and if it has problems they're expensive problems....

You must have some dollar figure in mind that you'd accept, please post that per the forum rules as mentioned....

The purple antique car plate with white letters on the running board appears to be a Pennsylvania license plate, so first guess is the car is in that state....I agree that no one is going to throw out an email offer, they'll want to come see the car and hear it run, a lot of the value is in the V-12 and if it has problems they're expensive problems....

You must have some dollar figure in mind that you'd accept, please post that per the forum rules as mentioned....

It is in NJ now, was in PA. The car's owners were members of the Pierce Arrow Society for MANY years. We are a Liquidation company and the info supplied was given to us by the Family. My specialty is 1962-73 Muscle cars so I know nothing about this car except it is a V12, starts right up, runs smooth and amazingly QUIET, everything works. The car is 95+% original. The Estate holders want to get as close to 50k as possible.

Hello, Car has dual Stromberg carbs, not a single. Can't tell from the photos if it has jump seats, but with no devider is is not a limo. All 34 PA V-12s are rare cars, reguardless of body style. Post some engine photos and a shot of the back side of the front seat. Car looks nice. Ed

I don't know why that would be? I just got an email offer through the ad we have on Classic Car Nation for 42k. Thats not bad, not what the owners want but not bad for an email offer.

There's a class of online ad prowlers who get their jollies making offers on cars when they have no intention of buying. I wasted a month with one of those clowns before I sold my '38 Buick. You'll do best for your clients by fully describing the car, offering photos from every angle, and settle on an asking price. Withholding information doesn't add mystery, it just turns off potential buyers.

I don't know why that would be? I just got an email offer through the ad we have on Classic Car Nation for 42k. Thats not bad, not what the owners want but not bad for an email offer.

Im not trying to "Add Mystery" at all Im trying to drum up interest. They Guy that made an offer is legit Ive been in contact with Him and saw His car collection too. Not everything on the web is a sham.

Let me try this again. Please edit your post to comply with the forum rules. This is a Buy/Sell Forum. It is not intended to "drum up interest". We have managed to get most of the required information but your ad is still not in compliance with the forum rules.

Please include the following information in the body of your post:

Year

Make

Model

Price

Description

Location (City, State, Country)

Contact Information (Name, Email and Phone)

Year 1934

Make Pierce Arrow

Model 1240A

Price 55,000

Description 1934 Pierce-Arrow 1240A. RARE 144 inch wheelbase. Owned since October 9th 1958. 2 owner car, est. one of 114 Built in this wheelbase. Rare color. Everything works like new, starts right up, smooth as silk.

Location (Sicklerville, NJ)

Contact Information (Geno 856 383 4869 or email ibuyoldtoys@hotmail.com )

I think we're all after an accurate description here, which the family may not have given you. The primary issue is of wheelbase and body style.

It's a "rare color" because Pierce-Arrow did not offer that color in 1934, at least not in a metallic. That color could have been a special order, as metallics were available on U.S. cars from about 1928 forward.

Model 1240A was available in two wheelbases: 139 and 144. Three body styles were offered on the 144 wb: (1) 7-passenger sedan (jump seats in rear compartment), (2) Enclosed Drive Limousine-EDL (division glass + jump seats), and (3) Silver Arrow coupe. Serial (chassis) numbers were seven numbers beginning 311nnnn for the 139" wb and 353nnnn for the 144" wb. That number was applied ONLY on a rectangular aluminum plate riveted to the outside of the frame behind one of the front wheels. Five-passenger sedans (no jump seats) were built on the 139" wb, although conceivably one could have ordered the 7-passenger with jump seats deleted to obtain additional legroom.

Another way to determine which body is to raise the right side of the hood and look for an oblong tag on the outside of the forward-facing cowl panel. A 7-p sedan on the 144" wb will have a tag reading 344-M-nnn (nnn=sequential number of that body style), and EDL 344-L-nnn. A FIVE-passenger sedan on the 139" wb will have a tag reading 338-S-nnn.

Please provide the numbers from the serial number tag and the body number tag to help us know what we're seeing.

OK wow you Guys know your PA's. Ill have to get the VIN and other info when I get back to the house for more photos.

Hi, the car's chassis number is 3530099 which makes it a late 1934 series 1240a on the 144 inch WB. Car was listed as a 7 passenger, but I still can't see any jump seats. Looks like a nice original car that was repainted and re upholstered. I like the color. Ed

Guest Rob McDonald

I am merely lurking here but gotta say how much I'm enjoying the images of this achingly beautiful behemoth. The rear compartment is the designer's and a retrimmer's joint triumph but, oh dear, why did the owners not send it back to get the headliner done right? It's jarringly out of harmony with the rest of the interior. I flatly love the paint colour and its originality, or not, doesn't matter a whit to me, 'cause I'm not a buyer, just a drooler.

Thank you Rob for the info. Thanks to all in this thread who are helping me portray this car as accurately as possible. I have been getting quite a few nice offers from the Hemmings ad I have. Ill be back up to the house possibly this Thursday May 2nd if anyone is in the Eastern PA area of the Pocconos let me know if you want to see it and the other 10 cars for sale, Model A, 77 Thunderbird with 10k on it, 55 Caddilac Fleetwood ONE owner,etc.

If you have other antique cars for sale, please either post an ad for the other cars or at a minimum post a link in this discussion to your ads for the other cars. That will increase your chance of finding a buyer for the other cars.

Sure thing Sir, thanks for the advice. There are some nice pieces in this collection too.

• 1 month later...
Guest mcnewse

Well folks, apparently the Pierce Arrow and none of other cars in the collection are for sale at this time. I've contacted the poster regularly since April about plans to fly out from the West coast to inspect this vehicle and make a serious offer at pretty much the asking price. I called and confirmed a date, bought an airline ticket, called before leaving to confirm, got told that my original date wouldn't work, but the next day would, arrived on the East cost, called again to confirm on the day and meeting time, told I would be contacted back, called again. I was finally informed the evening prior that the car is now tied up in legal issues and the car was not available to be shown as agreed. I've wasted time, money, and even vacation days pursuing this deal. Fair warning to anyone who proceeds.

I've been following this post. It appears something is not quite right. I agree with mcnewse, proceed with caution.

I am the poster, and there is nothing "Not quite right" going on at all? What could possibly not be quite right? I am curious. I was hired by the owners to sell all the contents of the Estate and was told when I told the Buyer that the cars were held up because of a relative who is now persuing the estate and they are just figuring out the title issues as far as who owns what cars, nothing "Fishy" at all.

Edited by Asset Management Solution (see edit history)