Duesenberg Model J crashed into a light pole - VERY old photo....

Hi all, I came across this interesting photo today while looking through a friend's personal collection of rare photos. He has a ton of old police photos and insurance company wrecks, and by golly I flipped the page in his binder only to find this magnificent J with a huge light pole in the seat. There's actually a caption that says "Woman driver fell asleep at the wheel"...But, that's all it says!... Has anyone ever heard of this car, or does anyone recognize it? I'm assuming this photo has never been seen before... Then again, who knows, maybe another copy is out there floating around, but either way I felt it was important to share this photo of a photo with you just to see what is known about this car, or the story behind it.... Personally, I doubt this has ever been published before.... Enjoy! Kevin post-34551-143141833373_thumb.jpg

Just found this-very sad!

August 1, 2005, 1:32 AM

SUPERIOR TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- A driver apparently ran a stop sign at an intersection near Ann Arbor and collided with a classic car carrying a family of five, killing two parents and a child, authorities say.

The other two children in the 1929 Duesenberg convertible were injured in crash, which happened about 8:10 p.m. EDT Saturday in Superior Township, the Washtenaw County sheriff's office said in a statement Sunday.

The driver of the Duesenberg recently had finished three years of work, along with father, restoring it for its owner, a Bloomfield Hills resident, the Detroit Free Press said. The car was worth an estimated $1.5 million.

All five from the Superior Township family were thrown from the vehicle, which did not have seat belts. The two children who survived were taken to the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital at the University of Michigan.

"The accident probably wouldn't have turned out like this (if they) wore seat belts," sheriff's Cmdr. David Egeler told The Detroit News.

Dead at the scene of the crash were driver Bradley M. Patton, 35; his wife, Kristin Patton, 35; and their son, Nathan, 8, the sheriff's department said; injured were Emily, 7; and Taylor, 9.

Emily and Taylor originally were listed in serious condition. Later Sunday, Emily was upgraded to fair condition and Taylor to good condition.

A 2001 Volvo was turning southbound when it collided with the Duesenberg, which was headed eastbound. The Duesenberg rolled several times. Video of the crash scene showed the car resting upright, with debris strewn along the roadway.

A 25-year-old Ann Arbor man who was driving the Volvo was unhurt in the crash. He was arrested and taken to the Washtenaw County jail, where he was released pending possible charges from prosecutors.

Egeler said the man could face negligent homicide charges, but that determination would be made by the Washtenaw County prosecutor's office after the sheriff's department completes its investigation. 4794819.jpg

4794860.jpg

Yes, that 2005 tragedy was awful. A family torn apart. I doubt the statement about seat belts, however, as the Duesenberg was rolled, and seat belts wouldn't have saved you. In that case being thrown from the car was probably better, awful as it would be.

I believe the car's been re-restored.

Yes, that 2005 tragedy was awful. A family torn apart. I doubt the statement about seat belts, however, as the Duesenberg was rolled, and seat belts wouldn't have saved you. In that case being thrown from the car was probably better, awful as it would be.

I believe the car's been re-restored.

Yes, it has been re-restored to 100-point status. I've seen it.

In regards to the OP's photo, Chris Summers believe it is the Bohman & Schwartz car that spent many years in the Harrah museum. It is completely restored.

Duesenberg

The car in the newer photo looks like a different car. It has a different front bumper than the one in the b/w photos. The bumper could have been changed during restoration.

I wonder if the buyer got full disclosure of a previous accident?;)

The car in the newer photo looks like a different car. It has a different front bumper than the one in the b/w photos. The bumper could have been changed during restoration.

I wonder if the buyer got full disclosure of a previous accident?;)

Probably because they are different cars. Don't believe it was inferred that they were the same.

The one involved in the accident in 2005 has been owned by the same person (and AFAIK still is) since the early 1950s.

Very VERY sad story about the family - they were better than GOOD people.

Subsequent stories indicated the Volvo driver had a history of running stop signs and other misdemeanor traffic violations.