1939 Rollston Packard 1701

Guest Van

Looking for any info on a 1939 Rollson Packard Town Car, Model 1701, that was purchased new by Dan Topping (Yankees Owner). Six wheels, deluxe equipment.

Does the car still exist?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Van

Edited by Van
Spelling (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an update to my request for information on a 1939 Packard Rollson Town Car, Model 1701, purchased new by Dan Topping (Yankees Owner):

Body Number - 664

Design Number - 1665

Motor Number - 302664

Six Wheels

Deluxe Equipment

Expanded Trunk Compartment

Does the car still exist?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Guest BillP

Are you a Packard Club member? There would be a roster keeper there for this model who may have it listed or know more about it.

And I always get confused without looking it up, but is it Rollson or Rollston?

Thanks BillP.

I have spoken to the roster keeper for this model, however, she could not provide info on this Packard. Clipper 47's link is the best source of info on Rollston/Rollson.

Van

• 3 months later...

West Peterson: See Packard Forum for response!

Owen_Dyneto: Thanks for the lead. Pfau's book is great. Clipper 47 above has the best link for the story on Rollston/Rollson.

Flackmaster: Car was built with an 8" extended rear body with a built-in compartment. Do not have a photo of car. Thanks!

Re: Owen_Dyneto

The article you refer to, may be the Oct. 1973 edition of "Car Collector Magazine. Their site shows a story on a 1939 Packard Rollson Limo. Out of print, no copy of written article or photos available.

Do you know of anyone who might have a copy. Long shot!

Thanks, Van

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Van</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re: Owen_Dyneto

The article you refer to, may be the Oct. 1973 edition of "Car Collector Magazine. Their site shows a story on a 1939 Packard Rollson Limo. Out of print, no copy of written article or photos available.

Do you know of anyone who might have a copy. Long shot!

Thanks, Van </div></div>

I have a copy at home. That would be the October 1973 issue of Car CLASSICS, though, as Car Collector's first issue was January 1978.

Re: West Peterson

Thanks for the correction. If you have the time, let me know if the article in question mentions Dan Topping or matches the body number of 664.

Much appreciated. Thanks Van

• 2 weeks later...

1939 Packard Rollson 1701:

Additional info has been uncovered:

1. Painting: Scheme "X" - Black.

2. Radio in rear compartment.

3. Artillery Steel Wheels.

No photos or knowledge if car still exists.

Thanks for any help, Van

• 6 months later...

To All:

New Info:

In addition to all other custom deluxe features, the car was delivered with a rare "chromium windshield". See previous postings for complete details on car.

No photos or knowledge if car still exists.

Thanks for any help, Van

Van

I was just in the Dayton Packard Museum. Until now, I was confused by a statement made in the PackardInfo site that said there was a '39 Rollson town car in Dayton's museum. Today I went into the basement and found it. The front is torn apart for what appears to be engine repair. I took a look at the delivery tag and it said February 1939, New York City. It was a razor-edge panel brougham Junior model. That is all I know about it at this time, but I can get further information for you if you like.

West Peterson

Thanks so much for your efforts in tracking this car in the Dayton Packard Museum. I spoke to the owner who sold the car to the museum last year, and he told me that the car belonged to the late great Lily Pons, famous opera star. He did not give me any other info, or photos of the car. Now that you have verified it's existence, (my e-mail to the DPM last year went unanswered), perhaps you could get further info to settle the question of my search. Did you notice if the car had six wheels, that would be a quick check, since my car inquiry had six wheels. My body is #664.

Thanks again, looking forward to your search!

Van

West Peterson

The plate showing the body number would be under the front seat, attached to the wooden battery box, mostly under the driver's side or sometimes under the front seat passenger side. It is sometimes attached to the wooden frame of the seat itself.

Thanks again for your help!

Van

Van

I was in the Packard Museum today... again, I forgot my camera (!@#$%!). But, I took down this information:

Black, single rear-mounted spare tire, jump seats, division window.

Numbers from under-hood data tag:

1701 2037

New York 2-8-39

Numbers on plate under driver's seat:

Style No. 1668

Body No. 657

I'm planning on going back this weekend, so I'll try and remember my camera.

West Peterson

Many thanks for your very generous time spent on identification of this Rollson Packard at the DPM today. Sadly, it is not the car I am looking for. Perhaps this info will help another person trying to id a Rollson. The info on my search vehicle is repeated:

1939 Rollson Packard 1701 Razor Edge Town Car purchased new by Dan R. Topping (Yankees Owner).

Style No. 1665

Body No. 664

Motor No. 302664

After more than 1 year of searching, I am thinking about what a Packard expert told me when I started, that many of these large Packards were scrapped after World War II.

It would be a great loss to collectors if this statement proves to be true.

Thanks again,

Van

• 5 months later...

To All:

Does anyone have a copy of the Packard Cormorant #41. I have been told that there is an article on a 1939 Rollson Packard Towncar in this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Still looking, no photo of car.

Thanks

Van

Have you contacted the current owners of Rollson? They were able to supply us with copies of the original drawings for the '39 Rollson Coupe we had listed on e-bay several months ago. I forget the owner's name but he was very helpful. This was several years ago. I can try to come up with contact info if that would help.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

To All:

Does anyone have a copy of the Packard Cormorant #41. I have seen references that a 1939 Packard Rollson Town Car is in this issue.

Can someone check to see if it may be the car I have been searching for.

Any info would be very much appreciated!

Thank You

Van

• 8 months later...

To All:

Recently had the pleasure of talking with a close member of the Topping family. Sadly, they were not able to tell me any information about the status of this missing classic.

Will keep looking.

Van