65 Riv hide away headlights

Desmc14

Look in the Riview for parts vendors. The first thing you need is a Service Manual. Do some research and contact the Tech. Advisors for specific info. Check and see if there is a ROA member in your area with a 65 and contact him/her - ask questions. There is a lot to learn - I have been restoring 63-65 Rivs for 25 years plus and still learning. There are a few sellers on Ebay that sell parts you will need and are less then honorable - be carefull ! If I can answer specific questions please email me at rivsrus1@cox.net Have fun !

Yes, I believe I've seen the value already. My Dad has had this car since 1976. But as he aged, he couldn't do much with it and as much as I would have liked to, distance and time prevented me from doing much. Other than needing new paint, a tune up and some minor repairs, (such as the headlight covers, gas tank rotting from inside, exhaust system rusted through from lack of use) this car is in fabulous shape. Dad only put about 1,500 miles per year on it when he did drive it.

Thanks again!

Hi Bob,

One of the benefits of joining the ROA is access to the technical advisors which serve the members. In regard to your clamshell headlights, you will not find much in the Service Manual regarding this system and what is in there is misleading. Buick, after many short Service Bulletins, eventually published a comprehensive 28 page Service Bulletin which covers every aspect of the hideaway headlight system. It is critical to understand how the different parts of the system interact, mechanical/electrical, to do a thorough job. This Bulletin is available to you, for the cost of postage, as a member of the ROA, as is my expertise. I can tell you anything you would like to know regarding the system short of whether to wear boxers or briefs while servicing it. Hope to hear from you soon!

Tom Mooney ROA #56

• 2 weeks later...

Okay thanks Tom. Right now the Riv is in getting 'tuned up'. So I asked the mechanic to have a look at the headlight motor, relays etc. to determine what works & what doesn't. He said that everything is there, but we haven't determined what is good etc. He also said if the headlight motor did not work, he knows of a shop nearby which rebuilds motors like this one. He thought that might be a better option than buying one which has been rebuilt. What are your thoughts on that? I have sent my membership application in (week of May 24) so I am hoping to receive confirmation soon. This car is amazingly clean for its age and lack of use for the past 12 years. The engine and wiring have never been touched ..... the a/c compressor is still holding the freon charge! Dad was too ill to do much with it. I will likely need that publication you referred to regarding the headlights. How can I get a copy?

The other pieces I would like to find are the Riv wheels. Dad's car had the standard hub caps. Do you know of anyone looking to sell their wheels.

Thanks much!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 questions:

1st: is the headlight visor system complete and working. to test, pop the arms off the motor and manually operate.

2nd: does motor work? with the arms off the motor, apply 12v to both sides of the plug and see if the motor turns each way.

You have to realize there are 2 parts of this system and attack each.

After you get those working then you can work on the switches/relays that operate them when you turn the lights off/on

Justin

Guest musclecarfan65

i am working as an engineer at the largest automotive supplier (which is now in chapter 11) and having free access to all development resources i will go for a totally different clamshell moving mechanism than the original. it will feature 2 electrical independent step motors. although i am a devoted fan of cars restored to their original condition (NO "pimpin" or "overhaulin" or "customizin") there are better solutions from todays engineering standpoint. have to figure out with our harness prototype workshop how to handle the headlight cover movement.

• 1 year later...