Enclosed Trailer

GrayCav56

Does anyone know of a company or individual in the mid state of PA (Hershey, Harrisburg, York etc) who rents enclosed trailers?

My 66 Vette is almost out of the paint shop in Johnstown and I'd like to bring her back home to reassemble her. I always drive the car, but this just isn't possible this time. I rented open trailers from U-Haul a number of times, but I don't want to use one on this trip (trying to keep her pristine until Hershey, then she is back on the highway!)

Tony Gray

York PA

717-586-6335

Guest Debby Soucia

Have you tryed Gale trailers out of Elizabeth, PA

1-800-586-6697

I am not sure but it's a free call.

Deby

Thanks for the tip. I gave them a call but no joy...they don't rent. I suppose I could still go with the U-Haul if I have to and just cover the car in heavy blankets that I strap down. I suppose the other option is to reassemble the car back in Johnstown and put her on the road earlier than I expect and hope for the best!

Tony

Do not use blankets (even if 100% cotton) on a open trailer as you will ruin the paint job guaranteed. Doesn't matter if it is fresh or seasoned paint you will have rub marks from the air no matter how well you try to keep them from moving.

I am from your area and called around several years ago trying to rent a enclosed trailer and no one would do it. I just called a friend who sells trailers and he does not rent them out or knows of anyone who does. I believe it might be a liability issue?

You may be better off hiring someone with a set up to go pick it up for you. My truck and trailer are tied up for the next month unfortunately or I might have been able to help you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Ron said is true. Do not wrap the car if its on an open trailer. </div></div>

It's not even a good idea to wrap a car in an enclosed trailer. I was told by Passport NOT to cover the car during transport, and they would not be liable for any paint damage if I did.

I can attest from first hand experience. Years ago going to Winchester Nationals, I covered the car with a blanket. What I got was very fine hairline scratches from the fibres moving around. They could be rubbed out, but... Same with an enclosed trailer, you will get vibration that could cause the car cover to move around.

Regards,

Peter J.

Thanks for all the replies gang. I never thought about the paint damage from the wind hitting the blankets. Man would I have been irked if I pulled that stunt. Steve: I'll give you a call at HQ when I find out the earliest date the car can be moved and Stan: I'd still appreciate that number in case Steve and I can't line up our times.

To all of you, many thanks. You again prove why this is the best hobby in the world.

Tony Gray

York PA

66 Corvette