Reatta off the road for the winter.... storage tips?

luftweg

Hi:

I took my 89 red/tan off the road for the winter (driving a 97 Dodge Ram 4x4 now -- talk about a difference in road-handling!).

Anyway, what are specific tips for those of you who take these cars off the road in winter months?

K

(btw, I have found out that the mileage WAS correct (a different person working at the seller's place listed it without having the car present to check mileage -- hence listing error); all CarFax and service documents have checked out with mileage -- and condition is also more than commensurate with it).)

Blocks, or stands which keep the car's weight on it's own suspension, yet keep the tires off the ground.

Battery maintainer charging system, or remove the battery to a place protected from freezing.

MOTH BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the trunk, in the cockpit, under the hood, on the engine, etc., etc., etc.

STA-BIL fuel stabilizer in the tank.

THE KEYS - locked in the safe!!

Most important: Contact your insurance agent and tell him/her that the car is in storage. Collect a refund, and buy a New Years dinner.

I do not put mine on jacks, but rather move it weekly by a few feet. After conversations with others on the forum, I have decided this year to move it by pushing or pulling, as opposed to starting for the move on warmer days. If stored this way, I suggest increasing tire pressure to 5# over recommended pressure for driving.

If you do decide to start it during the winter, do it on a nice day, and let it run long enough to get heat out of the heater.

When using Stabil, run for awhile to get it into the lines as well as the tank.

A charger maintainer is a great thing as mentioned, as I think the Reatta has too many electronic parts that are not helped by taking the battery out.

Manik: I forgot about the moth balls, but it's just too cold to catch the little winged things now.

Guest imported_barra

I ran mine for about 25 minutes the other day until the temperature got to 195 degrees then put the heater on. It lost 30 degrees fairly quickly. I shut it down and wonder what would be a reasonable interval between start ups. I have an in/outdoor cat that likes to hang out in the garage. He has been known to catch things. Will he replace traps and moth crystals?

Isn't it better to run it periodically rather than remove battery (letting it sit for several months) and let the upper engine and gaskets risk drying, as well as not allowing precipitates to form in the fluids?

I do realize the need for warming it to a fair operating temp, if it IS started.

But, wha? Every 2 weeks, every week, monthly?

Guest F14CRAZY

My dad always said it's better to NOT run a vehicle for short periods (like starting it in storage to maintain the battery). He made the point that moisture builds up in the exhaust system, and it isn't "blown out" because it's not being driven

My personal experience has been it is better to leave it sit rather than start it once in a while. I do pull the battery, no harm to the electronics that I have found. The battery is washed with baking soda and trickle charged once a month. I have stored it for six months every year since 1993, with no ill effects I can detect. It does get a fresh oil change, tires pumped to their maximum rating, Stabil in fuel, wipers propped off the windshield, leather conditioner on the seats and such. Generally just a good wash and detail before going to sleep. Mine is stored in a storage facility, unheated, but the floor is insulated below the concrete so it doesn't sweat when the weather warms. The storage is fifteen miles away (less $$$) so it is put away with everything hot and dry and the Stabil is circulated. Just a cotton dust cover over the car. Never fails to start immediately in the spring, ready to drive.

I put my Stored Reattas in a zipped car bag, tires on foam, take battery out, put stablizer in tank. When I open the bag in the spring the car is completey dry, no rusted brakes, no stale gasoline and no flat spots on the tires. Battery always has a full charge. Have been doing this for about 10 years and like the results.

Chuck Parry

I should add the car must be completely dry before enclosing it in its bag. I also recommend a complete wax job before storage. I do not "hard" close the doors or trunk. This keeps the rubber relaxed all winter. I roll windows down a couple of inches. On the convert. I relax the top some to keep the rubber from flattening down all winter. The cars get a soft cover first then the nylon car bag zips around it. I keep the wheels on the ground (not on stands) in case there is a fire I can then roll the car out of the garage to safety right before I go back and get my wife.

Chuck Parry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> in case there is a fire I can then roll the car out of the garage to safety right before I go back and get my wife.

Chuck Parry </div></div>

CHUCK! you've got 3 Reattas in your garage...RIGHT...I would think your wife would be a great help in pushing them out of harm's way? Just my 2cts.