Turkey Rod Run

Guest Skyking

Guest Skyking

Will anyone be going to Daytona's Turkey Run? I will be leaving saturday for 2 weeks...............I haven't been to the Rod Run since 2000, sure looking forward to it.

Yes, I'm going. This is one of my favorite events, not so much the activities at the speedway but just the gatherings all over town. The cruise-in every day at the Bel-Air plaza, the Gaslight Parade on Friday night in Ormond Beach and the AACA type (I'm not sure if it's a AACA show or not) on Saturday in Ormond Beach and the reinactment of the speed trials on the beach on Saturday. It's just a fun week. I'll be taking my 63 Impala SS, maroon 409/4 speed, if you see me, say hello.

Guest Art Griffin

The Friday night Gaslight Parade and the Saturday Antique Auto Show are both sponsored by the Volusia Region of AACA. Whereas the Turkey Rod Run at the Daytona Speedway has become the major event in the Daytona area over Thanksgiving, and it is mainly for modified (street rods) vehicles, the parade and show in next-door Ormond Beach are for original vehicles. So, there's something for everybody. Visit Volusia Region's website for a registration form for their events. I plan to help them with judging on Saturday.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Skyking,YOU LUCKY dog.diz laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif </div></div>

Actually Diz, I will be working down there most of the time. frown.gif I bought some land in Port Orange with a single wide trailer on it. I have to do some cosmetic repairs in it. Hopefully when I retire I will use it in the winter months. I have family all around that area. The Rod Run will give me some time to slip away. It's only a short distance from there.

As Tommy above stated, the Bel-Air plaza is the place I enjoy! There will be cruise's going on in most places.

We've been going to the Daytona Turkey Run for over 25 years. (It started at the High School in Daytona Beach because the antiquer's wouldn't let the modifieds in their show)

It's not just for streetrods. We've taken at least 5 different cars over the years. We do the flea market at the Speedway on Thanksgiving day and dine out in the late PM, then crusie Daytona and Ormond Beach. Friday we do the Lfea Market again in the daytime and drive in the Night Parade in Ormond Beach with the antiques.

Saturday we see the antique racers on the beach and visit the

Antique Car Show under the Bridge in Ormond. Saturday is the big day for the 5000 cars in the Show at the Speedway (the other days have only 3500)

Then Saturday night we cruise the Beaches and the activities at the Speedway.

The whole area is full of car people. The Kaiser Fraizer Club meets there along with many other marque's. The Flywheelers have a major showing inside the Speedway. We are antiquer's but always have a Resto-Rod too and it makes no difference what we bring, we're treated well. Beside, the antique flea maket died in Ormond and the few survivors all set up at the Speedway. It's not Hershey, but it's a lot of fun if you are really car crazy. Give it a try,

life can be fun if you let it.