Hershey/Carlisle - Bring Me Up To Speed

Hello all,

Obviously Hershey and Carlisle are institutions now but I am in Iowa and even if I wanted to "go to Hershey" I would have no idea. Practically what does that mean?

This is a huge swap meet right? With car corral? Where does a person stay or has it gotten so big that some people actually stay away? I'd love to go to a big swap meet that offers older stuff. Most of the swap meets around here have only Chevy and Ford stuff, mostly to accomodate the muscle car/street rod crowd.

I have heard there are club hospitality tents or booths. I have heard of nightmare muddy fields. I have heard posters mention that they "can deliver to Hershey" or "see you at Hershey".

Would I need tomake reservations at a motel a year in advance?

Is there a huge fee to walk the fields?

Is it just so much that a person gets sick walking around looking at unmarked old stuff?

Please help this newbie out?

Bryan Moran

BCA 28571

Hershey is an "experience" like no other. It is HUGE. The first time you go you are looking at pretty much every booth, some you skip because the make they sell you don't have. The more times you go the better you get at remembering which ones not to bother with from year to year.

Some vendors items are still boxed and well marked laugh.gif, some are rusted and unmarked crazy.gif and everything in between smirk.gif.

You will hear pretty much every variety of ethnic languages and that is very cool. It is fun to watch people who have no grasp of English try to talk prices and the vendors doing the same. Somehow they get each other to understand.

There is a very nice car corral. Even though we are not in the market for a car it is worth the time to just wander through.

There are club booths and many have places to sit to welcome members or people thinking of joining.

The nightmare muddy fields are for the most part gone. Last year there was just the White Field and Yellow Field (and maybe one that was the Blue Annex?) that were not paved.

Most people do make their reservations at least a year in advance, but some don't. Some people stay farther out and get better prices on motels and just factor in extra fuel to get there. There are lots of good places to eat in that area. And interesting places to visit if it is pouring the rain and the vendors don't open up.

There is no fee to walk the fields but there is a fee to park in some places. To get free parking you have to get there very early or walk quite a way. The Hershey School parks folks up on the hill above the White Field and the money helps the school. From there you can look out over the flea market area and it it quite a sight.

Bring comfortable shoes that are good for all weather if possible. I have found that clean dry sock changes through the day help to ward off tired feet and blisters.

The weather can be anything. One year it was bitter cold and snowing. Other years in the eighties and sunny. And again, everything in between so you have to be prepared for whatever comes. With the internet it is easier to predict what the weather is going to be so you have a better idea of what clothes and outerwear to bring.

A comfortable backpack is helpful. A wagon/cart is great.

There are plenty of Port-a-Johns and they have attendants to keep them stocked and clean. And they have the toweletts or alcohol gel. Most people tip a quarter or so per visit. Usually it is church groups that take care of them.

You should come see it at least once. cool.gif

Guest Debby Soucia

I love it!! We have been going for about 7 years now and I won't miss it. Yes it has lots of old parts, it has great cars for sale and lots of walking. I love hunting for parts. We looked all over for parts for our 1938 Chrysler last year. We walked the for sale cars twice as I had to check that out just incase some thing else came in.. Both of us love hunting!

Muddy, yes some times but I think it makes it fun. We camp down there and a couple of years ago we were pulling a wagon(with flat tires don't ask smile.gif:):)) and my husband fell in the mud got covered and laughed all the way back to the camper, one year it rained so hard we felt like ducks, one year it was really hot and the one year it was cold. But every year it was fun.:):):)

If you have to choose between the two it would be Hershey hands down every time for me. We used to go to both every year but have stopped going to Carlisle and really don't miss it. Hershey is where the "big money" shows their cars.

Since you mention you like the older stuff Hershey has your name all over it. They have tons of the older stuff. You might as well make your reservations for 2006 cause you will be back.

Don't even think you can walk it in one day tongue.gif and it would be wise to get a program which has a map and index to the vendors and what they sell.

On Saturday the car show is beyond belief. Be there before sunrise to get a seat for the "Grand Entrance" as the show cars take to the show field.

So many million dollar vehicles it makes your head spin.

One other thing if your lucky enough to get your hands on a "wooden nickle" take it. You'll have to atttend if you don't understand. grin.gif

I'm lucky enough to live close to both Carlisle and Hershey. I don't bother with Carlisle anymore, it seems more street roddy and aftermarket. I never miss Hershey though, both at least one day for the fleas and a car in the show on Saturday. Hershey cannot be described only experianced........Bob.

OK. I've been reading these and I have a better idea about the spectacle of Hershey. I would like to go in 2006. It's my understanding from trying an Internet search that it is ALWAYS held the 2nd week of October, correct?

1. Is it a four day swap meet starting Thursday and ending Sunday?

(I'm not too interested in the car show aspect of it because by October I am usually car showed out BUT if there is a great selection of 20-40's cars then I might be interested)

Still not too sure about the mechanics of attending. How the heck do I find a motel room close enough to drive but not booked until 2011?

Also, if my wife and daughter come (probably won't) can they go to other events such as a Hershey chocolate factory tour, etc.?

If I get close to Hershey (from the west-I live in Iowa) will I know where to go, are there signs and directions.

I am looking at my Rand McNally and it has greater Hrrisburg/Hershey on it. It notes "Hersheypark" is that it?

Can I find a motel room in Harrisburg? (i.e. Make reservations a year in advance)

So, no entrance fees, maybe a parking fee (for convenience) and access to dozens of vendors selling everything I need for my 25 Buick, 27 Peerless, and my 49 Buick, right?

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bryan Moran

Flea market runs Wed through Sat. About 9000+ venders. Use the internet to find rooms, Harrisburg is close. Show is right next to Hershey Park which is located in..................HERSHEY, PA. Admission is free, parking is cheap. Whether you find what you are looking for or not is debateable, unless you are looking for the greatest automotive spectacle on Earth. In which case you have found it.......Bob.

Guest Debby Soucia

Across from the White feild there is a big mall that has a bunch of discount stores. Lots of wifes go there all a day. It's a big place.

Last year they had about 100 cars in the 20-40 years may be more.. You won't be disapointed if you make the trip as long as you like cars.

It the best swap meet in the world, I went to my first Hershey shortly after purchasing my packard in 1989, I made the next 5 Hershey out of 6 until I took an overseas assignment, and then missed a year and went again in 1997. This year I will be back.

I am traveling from Saudi arabia. I can't wait. I leave Monday night. grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote; "I don't bother with Carlisle anymore"

Me neither and I only live 18 minutes to Carlisle or Hershey. This is the first year I have never attended a Carlisle event. In my opinion most of their events have went downhill unless you are interested in junk tools, craft items or mostly chopped up cars and used pick-ups. Save your energy for Hershey.

I used to faithfully go to 3-4 Carlisle shows each year, but not any more. The shows have changed and there is too much street rod/modified cars and parts. I have no interest in modern street rods with 350 Chev engines and automatic transmissions, painted purple with orange flames. Hershey is a different story. It is the best car show and flea market spectacular! I have missed only 2 or 3 shows since 1976.

Woody Michel

My favorite food at Hershey (not counting the one ice cream sundae lunch we have) is the crab cake sandwiches. Absolutely a top-notch sandwich. Lots of crab meat with almost no filler and fried to a golden brown. Yummy!!!! laugh.gif Steaming hot perogies is another all time favorite snack.

Bryan glad you have decided to attend, you'll never forget your first time.

Hershey aka Chocolate Town aka Hershey Park is what your final destination is. Yes the girls can take the chocolate tour, it's right there, or do the outlet mall which has in the past been a parking yard for the car corral so you can take one of the shuttle busses to and from if you don't want to walk to it.

You will see some of the best cars from the 20's & 30's there.

Where to stay? If money is no object go to the Hershey Hotel and you probably won't see your wife and daughter for the rest of the time. These is "The" classy place. Probably booked till 2011 and very $$$$$

We stayed about 8 miles North of Hershey off Exit 77 of I-81. Country Inns & Suites. Close enough but not too far away and a very easy commute back and forth.

See you next year, Doug BCA 33850

I used to buy 2 spaces at Carlise... this year at $95 per space I just got one this year. In contrast I have 4 spaces at Hershey and as you can see that's where I put my interest and time. Next year I won't bother with buying a space, they charge my buyers (attendees) $9 a head to enter the place, chage $3 for a soda and when they finnally find me they are near broke.... go figure.

Saw all my old pals and that was good.

I used to have 2 spaces at Summer Carlisle for about 10 years. I usually didn't make much money, in fact I was lucky to break even after expenses. I was there for fun mostly and and to walk around the show. Then things started to change. Summer Carlisle became mostly a motorcyle and hot rod show. Then I decided to give it up. I think it is outrageous to charge $9.00 admission and that is why I don't even attend Carlisle shows any more. Hershey is the show to attend, much better than the Carlisle Hot Rod/modified/craft and Beaney Baby show.

Woody Michel

Bryan,

I am 37, and have been doing Hershey on and off since the time that I was 5. In the last five years, my father and I have finally gotten the time and money to concentrate on restoring our cars, so my dad has been going every year since 2000. I have been going religously with my father, but was forced to miss 2002 because I was deployed (my army reserve unit) to the middle east in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, and it looks like I may be leaving again in February for another tour that may last for two years. Not knowing what my future is going to hold, and never knowing what my father's health could bring, this year might be the last trip that my dad and I make to Hershey, so we're going to make the most of it. Some fathers and sons spend their quality time going hunting, but my dad and I restore cars, go to shows, and hunt for car parts instead of animals. We make this trip an annual outing, we make the most of it, and we cherish the memories.

I highly doubt you'll find another show like Hershey. You'll have most of the major parts vendors there, a lot of mom and pop parts vendors, a ton of cars, a huge car corral, and the list goes on. On Friday you'll have the high-wheeler competition where they race the old high wheeler cars around the track inside the stadium. At night you'll have talent shows, vintage car movies, judging schools, and you'll be able to tour the AACA museum. If you're into motorcycles, Harley Davidson does tours of their assembly plant Monday through Friday in nearby York, PA, and AACA has other tours and events planned through the week as well. We'll be on the field tomorrow at noon, we won't leave until Sunday morning, and we'll leave the show with empty pockets, sore feet, and great memories AND STILL WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE IT ALL.

For anyone who has any interest in the automotive hobby that has never been to Hershey, you've got to try it at least once. It might not be for everyone, but for the most part there is something there for almost everyone. If a person had the money and wasn't in the hobby, they could literally get into the hobby by buying a car, many of the parts to restore it, most of the tools needed to do the restoration, a majority of the materials to restore the car, the literature and reference material need to assist the restoration to be authentic, the collectible automobilia relative to the car you've purchased, and the trailer to haul all it home, and everything in between. You can even find someone to do the restoration if you don't want to do it yourself. If you can't find the resources needed to restore or buy a car, you'll definatelty be able to join AACA, or another club related to your vehicle and leave with references to direct you to finding the stuff that you couldn't find. You will see some serious money in cars, parts, etc. being bought, sold and driven by people from several corners of the world and all walks of life. THE PLACE IS JUST INCREDIBLE!!

As for the Lodging, I'm still active Army Reserve, my father is retired Army, and we stay at Fort Indiantown Gap for $20 a night. If you're not currently involved in the military, or a military retiree, you will either have to pay big money for rooms, or be willing to do some driving.

We bring a car to the show, and get better parking, and the money we pay for the entry fee is cheaper than what we used to pay for parking as a spectator. With our enclosed trailer, we have a convenient, secure and dry place to store our purchases. We get around the field with a two wheeled cart with a tote strapped to the bottom of it, and a military duffel bag strapped to the upright portion of it. We keep the fragile parts and reference literature in the tote so it stays dry and doesn't get destroyed, we put our non fragile parts in the duffle bag, and we both carry a set of walkie talkies in case we get separated. When the cart and our hands get full, we go back to our trailer, unload, grab a drink and hit the fields again. After the last 30+ years of walking through the mud, sun, heat, snow, rain, gravel, pavement, etc. that is the best system that we have found that has worked for us.

Even if you don't have the money to buy a lot of parts, or if you don't own a car or are looking to restore one, Hershey is still good just to see what the hobby is about, and to be able to put the names and faces of AACA and the automotive hobby together. As a matter of fact, Peter Gariepy (the one responsible for this website) met my father and I as we had a cart load of parts as we were trying to wheel a set of six fire truck tires back to our truck.