HPOF vehicle recognition

The AACA says...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Since our founding, AACA has been dedicated to the preservation, restoration and maintenance of vehicles. In the furtherance of the ?preservation? mission, the AACA Board of Directors in 1987 established a program to encourage the saving and display of collector vehicles in their original, as manufactured condition."

</div></div>

Seems to me that they don't get the reconition the "survivors" deserve. Am I mistaken here? For a car that has survived in good original condition to get beat in competition by a restored (or over restored) car is odd to me. They should not be in the same class or be judged in the same light because they are not the same cars. Most anyone can restore a car (or fund a restoration), but it takes many people (lots who never survive as long as the car) and lots of luck to keep it in good condition for 30, 40 or 50+ years.

The rules the have in the .pdf are ambiguous and need proper formatting to make it an easier read. Is there a place that has the complete list of classes and thier requirements and point deductions? I am dissapointed at the members section and the lack of information there. I hope I am just not looking in the right place? confused.gif

I may enter my 100% original '63 Amphicar in the Denver show to see how it plays out.

John, the judges manual explains the HPOF class (for original cars) and these cars are NOT judged against any other cars. This class is for display only and certified HPOF cars earn a great car badge and walnut plaque. All the HPOF cars are certified by special teams. The HPOF cars are displayed in a separate area. Our judging manual is online and explains the class and shows the sheet used to certify these cars. It probably does not translate easy to a first timer. The class is designed to recognize cars that have completely unmolested features such as interior, exterior, engine compartment, etc. If you have an all orginal car that has been only maintained you should have no problem in earning a certification plaque.

John,

HPOF would be an option for you along with the driver participation class of which some meets means parking in no mans land, in my opinion.

My Amphicar is fairly decent clear down to a eat off the engine compartment restoration. I now have over 1200 hours in restoring it with the interior and paint scheduled for next year as they are still presentable. There are minor things with it that add up to many point deductions when showing in the AACA. It would probably not even get a 3rd.

The AACA national meets bring out the absolute best vehicles, barr none with many not driven (or swam in our case). I have taken a car to the senior grand national level twice (and won) and believe me its hard work and rarely driven. The only advantage we may have is we can clean our undercarriage quick. cool.gif

Note I am not trying to discourage you, by all means bring it out to a meet. I put mine in class 27g (production 66 to 67) as a do not judge. I am thinking of filling the paperwork out to make the Amphicar accepted in class 35B (limited production) but that takes time.

Next weekend it will be at the AACA Roanoke national meet and to tell you the truth, I have more fun talking with and meeting people then worrying about winning an award, less stress. Have a good weekend and hopefully swim. Next year I hope to make it to Dave's, sounds like it will be a blast

Ron

Ron, you might be surprized at what your car could do. How many judges do you think know ALL the details to an Amphicar? Most likley be able to count them on one hand, I'm guessing. And the only reasaon they know the stuff would be they own one too. All the small stuff most people would never know was wrong.

novaman, You are right correct however I would not feel comfortable presenting a vehicle knowing there are certain things incorrect then possibly winning an award. It just isn?t right especially since mine the interior is close but not quite correct and the exterior blue is the wrong color plus I use this car and am just not into sterilizing it for a show.

John, from another thread it sounds like you have the opportunity to have you car featured by the largest car club in the world in one of the best magazines with one of thee best editors (West) who knows his stuff. The Amphicar community as you know is small with many special friends. Make us proud! Besides the hand controls that you fabricated are truly a work of art that many of the AACA members would appreciate learning about, I know I was impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, from another thread it sounds like you have the opportunity to have you car featured by the largest car club in the world in one of the best magazines with one of thee best editors (West) who knows his stuff. The Amphicar community as you know is small with many special friends. Make us proud! Besides the hand controls that you fabricated are truly a work of art that many of the AACA members would appreciate learning about, I know I was impressed. </div></div>

Ron - Thank you for the kind words! In light of Mr. West's offer (and other reccomendations for Mr. West), I joined the AACA. I see it as a chance to help inform the world about our our poor little amphibious orphans and a oppoptunity to show a very nice survivor car. I am going to try to fabricate another set of hand controls for the new Amphi before the July show in Denver. They will be even better and much simpler,

Ron, I understand where you're coming from. I'd consider the paint and the interior some rather serious flaws to be trying to pass off. I was figuring you were refering to rather minor things like a hose not being exactly right or some other small part that is next to impossable to find thats wrong. The things that would amount to a point here or there.

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have another question of what something would "fall into." Disclaimer- I mention a car like my Packard with absolutely no interest or intent on anyone judging it at any event of any type, anywhere. It was re-painted a few years ago with a "driver" quality paint job. All the steel chromed parts were re-chromed but the pot metal is in good original shape. The interior is original and stock save for the seating area of the fron seat. I quess it was a work in progress going toward a resto, at least in the previous owner's mind. I see cars like mine out there and just have a morbid curiousity as the driver quality cars seem to be bastards...

Dunno.gif

Dear Twitch,I have a 62 Corvette that i would say is in the same boat as your Packard.Real nice car but a driver and something i am ALWAYS improving.Drive it,enjoy it, life and Summer are TOOOOOO short to be chained up in the garage.Gotta get back,i got a Zephyr waitin on me.diz smile.giflaugh.gif

Twitch, I'm not sure for your post. I'm taking it that you're asking if your Packard would qualify for HPOF. With the repaint and rechrome, I'd be iffy on it making it. But as I was told once, if you're not sure if it would make into HPOF, give it a try. If it doesn't get certified go for DPC or a judged class next time. I haven't figured out where the HPOF judges draw the line as to which make it and which don't. HPOF is designed for cars that are basicly orginal and has basic maintaince over the years.

Guest my3buicks

Nothing against the judges, but I think there is very little judging going on - you fill out a form (being honest while doing it) the judges walk around and that's it - I saw MANY cars at Hershey this year that HPOF'd that had been completely repainted, had major work done on them and really should have been in the Driver class or class judging. There are so manby cars and so little time, it's a tough one for the judges. My 69 that HPOF'd pic is attached - it is original except for the top.

Hershey is one of the toughest to judge just due to the number of cars and the crowd of people don't help. Interior judges have to be extreme careful not to hit another car with the door and the chassis judge tries not to get stepped on.

Remember with the HPOF it gets recertified each time it is shown. So hopefully, if the car really shouldn't be in HPOF, the next time it won't get recertified.

Ooow! Beauty of a Buick! wink.gif

Yeah, I'm simply curious as to what class a car like my Packard is. I have no interest in entering it in any sort of contest. I don't know AACA classes and was wondering.

Reason being for the question is that most "drivers" in my neck of the woods are like my car. They are simply nice older cars that have had some work done cosmetically. Any car that sat outside for any amount of time receives 2 things if an owner or buyer is going to keep it- new paint and new interior. Both deteriorate substantially. This is why people improve those areas perhaps leaving engine and chassis alone. Simple eye candy. Nobody wants to drive a 40-60 year old car with ruined old original paint, sit on raggedy seat stuffings with a broken spring up their butt and a disolving headliner hanging over their heads.

Out here beside the ultra-large quantity of really fine restored or original cars there are zillions with some work having been done in a cosmetic sense. Just wondered... tongue.gif