which insurance company ??

Guest wildcat65401

Guest wildcat65401

Hi all,

So , I just got my 63' riv painted and it has a new engine & transmission . I need to get some reasonable insurance . Any ideas anyone?

Thanks .

Paul.

Ditto, on the Hagerty. They insure my ride, and at a very low cost.

While this doesn't apply to you, they're also good with "modern classics" like my 81 Skylark convertible, and they actually have an underwritter review the car (pictures, specs at least) before agreeing on a value. It saves you from from insuring your car for $20,000, only to get an accident and then they "value" the car at $5000. (I've heard of it happening)

Guest sixpack2639

Here is the main reason I didn't go with Hagarty and also why I won't use Antique tags on my cars: "Usage. Hagerty covers vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving."

I prefer to be able to drive my cars whenever I want to. I don't need the State or the insurance company telling me when I can drive my cars. I've said it before and I'll say it again, What's the sense of having it if you can't drive it. I don't use my antique cars for daily drivers but i don't want to have to be going to a club function or something like that to have an excuse to drive them. AON Collector Car Ins. uses agreed value just like Hagerty but doesn't have the restrictions that Hagerty has and the rates are just as good. Just my opinion. Carl

VERY good points to consider.

Keep in mind that whatever company you consider (brochure, Web site, or sales rep) they all say in one way or the other, "we are the biggest" or "we are the best."

The important thing to remember is that THEIR coverage fits with how YOU intend to use the car.

One company actually wrote a policy that said the car could never be unattended when out of my garage. I called and explained that sometimes we do an all-day driving tour through one of the local clubs, and we often stop for lunch at some scenic or historic locations as part of the driving tour. I then asked if the car was covered while it was sitting in the parking lot and I was in the resteraunt. They said NO. They were not my insurance company for much longer.

READ THE FINE PRINT WHEN YOU GET THE POLICY!!!! This is important because they will say things on the phone that don't match what the policy says. And, in ALL cases in ALL courts in EVERY state, the written policy overrides whatever they told you.

Joe

Guest my3buicks

Hagerty all the way - I have been with JC Taylor adn Condon & Skelly for about 17 years prior to Hagerty, JC Taylor was OK, Condon & Skelly the pits. I have been a Hagerty customer about 10 years and have been VERY PLEASED with all aspects of the firm. I have had 2 claims in that time. One was a brand new convertible top on my 69 was sliced open at the radiator shop while it sat there overnight, this happened only a couple weeks before the Flint Nationals, I called Hagerty and exxplained the situation, the time restraint as the National was almost upon us - they had a check to me in 36 hours and the top was done well in time. Unless things would change drastically with this company, I am a lifetime client.

After looking around at the whole "antique insurance" thing for a good while, there are some ins-and-outs of that whole affair. One of the main issues is the "locked and secure" parking location, which usually means a building or garage rather than a carport. Plus the public parking lot issue, as ReattaMan mentioned.

The driving mileage limits can be negotiated somewhat, as one of our chapter members found out. He put down something like 4000 miles/year on his form to JCTaylor many years ago. He got the form back "declined". He called to see why. He was told it was the mileage, to which he replied that he only took the car to weekend cruises, which typically were not "around the corner" down here in Texas. So they went ahead and approved his policy. Key point is that it's not going to be daily transportation, but still used in the orientation of car club events and such.

In another situation I read about in a car club newsletter (from the Houston, TX area), the group was getting together a "tour" to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn (driving from Houston in their vintage Fords). A call was made to JCTaylor regarding coverage. As it was a "club event", the coverage would be intact. "What about if we exceed the 3000 mile limit while on the trip?", they asked. They were instructed to send a letter to the company stating their club event, noting the starting mileage on the vehicle when they departed. When they returned, they were to also send a letter to the company with the ending mileage on the vehicle. Thereby making the trip mileage not part of the basic mileage limit of the policy.

Seems like the NSRA (street rod association) has insurance they sell to their members, which has coverage for spare parts and "under restoration" vehicles. In other words, vehicles that are not yet road ready.

Basically, ask lots of questions and probably ask to see a copy of a policy, so you can read the fine print and make an informed purchase decision. Of course, the agreed value (which is better than the previous "stated value" situation) orientation seems to be the current "best" situation. Also inquire about how a claim would be handled and processed. As mentioned, look at how you desire to use the vehicle and buy insurance that fits that criteria, even if it's a normal policy.

Hagerty has some really neat commercials on Speed Channel. You also need to research their Roadside Assistance Policy (which they advertise). It has some good points, but it can still cost money to use.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Skyking

There are aways ways of getting around a claim. For an example, you take your classic to work one day and something unordinary happens, you tell them you were taking it to your mechanic. Not that I would do this........ tongue.gif

I've been with J.C. Tayor for 20 years. I had a vandalism claim in 1990 that they handled like angels, and their policy restrictions were never anything that I couldn't live with.

They help sponsor this site, so you can click on the link the the right for their web site.

for the last 30 years. Right now I have my '05 Towncar with $300,000,$300,000, ($1,000,000 umbrella),ACV,$250 Deductible and my '55-76R with same Liability and Deductible---but instead of ACV have $25,000 agreed value. My total premium for both cars is $1024 per annum. ('55-76R is $154). Of course I have my Homeowners with them and have had only 1 claim in last 30 years (my wife backed my '99 Towncar ino a column in our parking deck to the total of $2300 damage). Can drive my '55-76R to shows ,club events, the shop and short jaunts on weekends--maximum of 2000 miless per annum. The total mileage on the car(which I have owned for 34 years) is 72,500.

Guest imported_TheColossusofRoads

I've been with JC Taylor for a number of years now and although I've never had to file a claim they're always been very easy to access and were pleasant to work with if a question or problem with my policy came up. They fought hard to be able to write insurance in Massachusetts, (real tough on letting companies in to write insurance, for instance GEICO can't even write insurance here although they advertise in the state 24/7, for what I don't know) and before they came along antique insurance was real hard to get here, and local agencies required antique plates and tons of other unreasonable restrictions on vehicle use, etc. Hopefully, I won't need to make any claims, but if I do I think Taylor will be OK to work with.

Just my .02

Quote: "One of the main issues is the "locked and secure" parking location, which usually means a building or garage rather than a carport."

Or a enclosed trailer (locked) is acceptable when traveling long distances and not driving the vehicle. This is acceptable with all the insurance companies including storage overnight.

I have JC Taylor for years and they paid a couple of claims without question. On one claim a board fell on the car from the rafters of my "locked and secure garage"; on another the car was sprayed with tar from a broken hose at a road construction site on my way back from the Nationals.

The statements about the locked and secured locationscared me to death since I spend at least 2 weeks charging around the country and the car is outside. I contacted JC Taylor and here is their reply:

"The underwriting guideline regarding garaging is deliberately written stringently. That being said, there is, of course, no problem leaving it "ungaraged" at a car show, tour, etc. Ideally, we want the vehicles we insure to be used for hobby shows and the like. In the scenario you presented, your vehicle is most certainly being "used" - just not driven. We certainly understand that the vehicles will not ALWAYS be stored. The statement is not about "ungaraged at a show" vs. "ungaraged at home", but rather entirely about the latter: home. We don't want the vehicles being kept in the driveway, or a carport, or just under a cover. I hope this clarifies things. Please let me know if I can help in any other way."

So it appears that is a non-issue and if you are honest and use good common sense about the use and storage of the cars you will be OK.

Willie

Then they should change their language in the insurance contract to clear it up as right now you will have to take them on their word, meaning even though the insurance states or implies one thing they really mean another.

Some shows turn into a weeks trip depending on location and length of trip. I just got back from Florida on a 2 week adventure that I did trailer down since the vehicle is to slow and fragile to drive wide open on I-95 for 17 hours. I wonder how Taylor would react if I did drive it there and it was stolen, as their policy like most others are fairly clear on the secure policy.

I used J.C. Taylor for many years without having a claim. When they started hassling me about insuring my 72 Corvette that I have owned 31 years and my Amphicar I made the switch. They were always nice however when insuring my antique vehicles. I just don't feel warm and fuzzy with the theory they really meant this or that in the insurance policy and not what is written.

Ron,

You raised a good point about the policy.

Attitudes change within companies whenever management changes, or the bottom line doesn't look as rosey as it did in years past. What that means for us is that language in a policy COULD become a way for the company to not pay a large claim.

It is ALWAYS better to have a policy written in such a way that allows you to know what will ALWAYS will or will not be covered; not the things that will be covered if they are in a generous mood at the time.

Joe

I am not defending insurance companies, in fact I HATE insurance companies of all kinds. But they are a necessary evil that makes us "creative" or downright dishonest in dealing with a claim.

Back to antique auto insurance companies: Has anyone had a claim denied, large or small, for any reason. Please share the name of the company and the reason.

Thanks

Willie

Another important thing to consider. What happens if the insurance person tells you they really mean this, or in this case they would do that, quits and moves to another job? His statements could have been his interruption and not the companies unless this scenario was discussed with management. Flip of a coin it was discussed.

This might be a little too "logical" in nature, considering some underwritters' policy language, but one reason the "antique" policies are written with much less expensive rates is that the vehicles are not supposed to be exposed to "perils" to the extent a normal vehicle would be. Hence, the "locked and secure garage" situation and mileage/year limits. I suspect that if you read the fine print, any "competition of speed" activities are not covered, if that's important.

As mentioned, some items that might be open for interpretation should be clarified by the empowered representative. Documenting such "riders" or interpretations can be important, but these operatives typically can't change the wording of the policy or related coverage.

Two thoughts . . . read the policy and see if you can comply with their requirements . . . "use" the vehicle within the stated guidelines of the policy. If you need to make a claim and can verify that your INTENT was to completely comply with the policy's provisions, that should count for something (even if you might be fudgin' a little).

In some cases, your regular insurance provider might now be offering antique vehicle coverage. If you've already got a good working relationship with that agent (and their employees), that might count for something if you have a claim that might need a little additional "interpretation". At least then, if they try to deny coverage or whatever, you are right across the desk instead of at the end of a phone cord.

Be an informed shopper . . .

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Agreed. That is why I switched insurance companies to one that seems (to me anyway) much more clear in their language. No worries about mileage and I do trailer when traveling far away. Not just for the locked and secure reason, I don't want my vehicles stolen, plus some of the vehicles won't keep up on the interstates.

You are right be informed, that is why I switched from Taylor to Hagerty.