Ugliest Car?

kuhner

I thought this was going to be a thread about restoring Pontiac Azteks (the "Official Car of Wal-Mart Shoppers"--unofficial title based upon my amateur observations, anyway...).

Great photo-compilation at that site--especially like the Mechanix Illustrated cover image.

Is the guy who restored it a priest?! That must say something (though I'm not sure what...)

Guest Dave Mills

The ugliest car has to be a member of the Aztek family. I would question the lineage and sanity of the designers of the Aztek....

Guest De Soto Frank

Funny how many people mentioned the Pontiac "Aztek"...that was the very first vehicle that came to mind when I read the thread title on the Forum index ! laugh.gif

No wonder Pontiac Motor Division is in trouble...

I have similar feelings about the Buick Rendezvous (?)...

Guest greg72monte

How is it that Honda sells the "Uglement" er... Element, that is even uglier than the Aztek, but no one calls it ugly because it is a Honda???

I think they forgot to finish painting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Dave,The lineage of the designer of the Aztek was recently traced to the same family of the kid strummin the banjo in the movie blush.gifDELIVERANCE blush.gif.diz smile.gif </div></div>

Hey Diz!

Look at him now - he's all grown up! ... grin.gifjoes2.jpg

Reminds me of what grandmother used to say: "YOU CAN PUT A GORILLA IN A SUIT, BUT HE'S STILL A GORILLA" {Rough, politically correct translation! tongue.gif}

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is it that Honda sells the "Uglement" er... Element, that is even uglier than the Aztek, but no one calls it ugly because it is a Honda???

I think they forgot to finish painting it. </div></div>

I think the same with all Nissan trucks. They look like they were built with Erector Set parts, just thrown on....What's with that? grin.gifgrin.gif

I think that just about everything sold today is really ugly....that asian look on the SUV wannabees. Many of the cars look like legless cockroaches. The ugliness is even spreading to some of the full size pickups. It makes one appreciate the older vehicles that much more. I guess my tastes just haven't matured with the rest of me.

Jim Showers

1921 Stanley 735B Touring

1953 Packard Series 2672

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "YOU CAN PUT A GORILLA IN A SUIT, BUT HE'S STILL A GORILLA" </div></div>

....it's funny that you mention that. I try to tell my father in-law the same thing every time he tries to take my mother in-law out in public smirk.gifblush.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

And yet it's surprising how many Azteks, and Elements, and Scions have been sold, isn't it ?

Barnum wuz right !

I'll add some more of my "ugly candidates":

Any/all GM truck/car combo things (ie: the "Avalanche")

Hummer H-2

Isuzu steroid SUV thingy with the two chrome "fangs" in the "grille"...

(Aw, gee-whizz...I'm pickin' on General Motors again !)

On ugliness- I recall seeing many, many cars' design concept artwork and photos in magazines over the years. You know what has ticked me off the most on nearly every car? Wheel/tire size. In artist concepts they fill the wheel well nicely with fantasy wheels and tires in the drawings. The concept is balanced with all things in proportion. Then the prototype photos are released and they're usually at an angle that enhances the shot of the car, so it is still OK. But when you later see the actual car on the street it looks like a pregnant roller skate with standard-size-looking tires and a humongous, empty wheel well.

Thank the Lord for the new larger diameter wheels. If I was forced to own one of those dinky-wheeled cars I'd go nuts with out them. At least these days there is a better ratio even on the standard built list.

Skating.gif

Well Frank, illegal drugs have had a presence in our society for a good 40+ years. Now we're starting to see their destructive results of prolonged use of drugs on the highways today. With some of the stuff that is rolling down the road, those designers have got to be on drugs to design something like that, and the owners must be on drugs to want to buy them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uncle Remus, if that ugly '57 is yours and you need it removed from your property, let me know and I'll come down and get it. </div></div>

I do; maybe we can arrange a swap for the mother in law - and her daughter! blush.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifblush.giftongue.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

"Re: Ugliest Car? [Re: ex98thdrill]

57 convertibles are going for $35-50,000 on the west coast so..... "

Last I heard, so is a gallon of gasoline... laugh.gif

I know it. The guy who runs the local towing service here has one identical to it that is all original, and he turned down $25,000 for it over 20 years ago.

....If I could swap my mother in law for that car it might be a heck of a deal!!

....and my mother in-law is small enough to fit in our car trailer too. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

• 7 years later...