71-73 LeSabre Police cars

72Buickguy

72BuickGuy, thank you for posting this great literature.

I know that many of you have seen this photo of a '72 LeSabre police car, finished in the scheme of the Peekskill, New York Police Department. Bob Alberini has contacted the Police Department in the hopes of learning more about this vehicle that evidently still exists, but no additional information has been obtained.

buz083.jpg

Gary Klecka ("AK Buickman") has given me a photo of some 1971 LeSabres in service with the Genessee County (Flint area) Sheriff's Department. Gary shot the photo while attending the very first BCA National Meet in Flint in 1971. I will get the photo scanned and post it here.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for posting that information! Also thanks to Brian for posting that photo. I have heard of the 71-73 LeSabre police cars, but have never actually saw one. Any other photos of these cars?

I had questioned the 73 Chevrolet Impala police car on E-Bay- for one reason - it has rear carpeting. Seems as if the LeSabre had rear carpeting as well, so maybe that 73 Chevrolet is an original patrol car. Some of the newer police cars I have seen on E-Bay have only front carpeting.

The Riviera GS 455 was an option on the 72 Police cars too, it's shown as option WE3. It looks like technically, you could get the B07 Police package on a 73 Centurion. The price sheet says the option is available on the 4BP series, except for 67) -- So the package was available on the coupe and sedan, not the convertible. If anyone has the daily production reports for the 71-72 LeSabre sedans, we could see how many police cars were built.

Flint, being the home of Buick,had them for police cars a few times several years back.However,I managed to avoid them for the most part but I remember them as having vinal seats & rubber floor covering.

I would expect that genuine police-spec vehicles would have a rubber floor mat to replace the more normal carpet floor covering. The carpeting could have been substituted if the rubber floor mats were not available on the line when the police cars were built. OR if the car was a carefully-optioned civilian vehicle that was used for police purposes (by authorized law enforcement agencies). OR maybe it was a "supervisor" car that did not see regular partrol duties. A couple of different scenarios that could only be solved with the Build Sheet, I suspect.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

In Texas the Dept of Public Safety (DPS) (highway patrol) orders its patrol units with carpets and other high level interior trim. I know they have had carpeting and fabric seats since the '70's. I've owned various ex-DPS cars including 79 Dodge StRegis, 80 Chrysler Newport, 81 Plymouth Grand Fury, all had carpets and divided front seats with fabric and fold down armrest. 84 and 87 Ford Crown Victoria with carpets and divided cloth seats/fold down armrests, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89 Mustangs carpets and fabric seats. Dodge Diplomats 84-89 all had plush interiors, carpets/divided front seat with armrest and fabric. 89 Chev Caprice also with carpets,fabric divided seats with armrests.

I own a 67 California Highway Patrol unit(CHP)Olds Delmont 88 425 that has rubber floor covering as part of its specs and an unique fabric covered HD seat package.

Most municipal/county units are as a rule equipped with rubber floor covering and vinyl seats

Henry

Guest Shaffer

That is why I was questioning this 1973 Chevrolet Impala police car. It also has carpeting, so I was unsure if it was an original car or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...ssPageName=WDVW

Stangely- it looks like some of the chrome was removed from this car. Even the Impala had more chrome than this car has. Perhaps the police models had a "chrome delete"? I did not notice the Buick police cars chrome- I will have to go back and look.

Most of the Chevrolet police cars of that era were either the Biscayne (1971-1972- since 1972 was last year for Biscayne), or the Bel-Air (1973-1976). I would not think many Impalas were available as police cars. I remember reading somewhere that most of the Biscaynes 71-72 and Bel-Airs 73-76 were fleet cars- offered as taxi, rental or police cars. I do remember many years seeing a local 73' Bel-Air sedan, with A/C, vinyl top and power windows. I was actually considering to buy it. You could basically add any options you wanted on either, as on any GM early 70s cars. There is also a 71' Biscayne sedan at a old salvage yard near me. I actually got a headlight switch knob out of it when I had my old 71' Caprice. So some were offered sold to the public, especially the Bel-Air.

I also remember a 1973 Impala police car on the movie "Dying Room Only" (1973 film) starring Chloris Leachman and Dabney Coleman. You can tell that Chevrolet supplied the cars, because there car was a 1973 Caprice Estate 3-seat wagon.

I am guessing that most of the Buick police cars were LeSabres. Wouldn't it neat to see an Electra police car? grin.gif

My gut feeling on this car is that its not a police package car. It does not have a police certified speedometer! The restorer of this car could had removed the side molding to make it look more like a cop car. His hupcaps are not correct for a '73.

This is info from "Chevrolet Police Cars" a 222 page book by Edwin J Sanow.

In the '73 section it states that "The full size '73 Chevrolet police cars were based on the BelAir and the Impala. The B07 police chassis equipment and BY2 police body equipment packages were available on the four-door sedans, two-door coupe and the two-seat and three-seat station wagons in both trim levels."

Lots of small towns used ordinary sedans purchased from a favored small town dealership.

As far as trim deletes go I know that the California Highway Patrol(CHP)67 Olds Delmonts did not have the front door moldings due to interferance with the California shield. Civilian Delmonts had 5 holes pierced in the door skin for attaching the door molding. The door upper frame moldings were also devoid of bright trim which was standard on the civilian version. Many other years of CHP cars had front door molding deletes also.

Chrysler offered the 62 Newport as a police package and it deleted all the side trim that the civilian Newports had as standard equipment(a double row of horizontal stainless moldings the full length of the car.

There's another copcar book that has pics of a county in N.J. that had 4dr Buick Specials in '67 and '68.

And don't forget Buick built a special Special(2dr post Special body with Century front and mechanicals). That was a fleet order for the California Highway Patrol.

Henry

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for posting that additional information. A few posts up, you will also notice I was also questioning the 120 MPH speedometer, as well as the carpeting. I do not recall who, but someone mentioned that a 120 MPH on a police version could be possible. I think they were referring to "city" patrol cars. I had noticed a 74 Plymouth police car on E-Bay a while back that had a 160 MPH speedometer, as well as vinyl floor covering- which is why I was confused on the Chevrolet.

The info you posted also explained why I saw that 73' Impala patrol car- they were available, but I am guessing that most were Bel Airs.

I do remember seeing a 1971 Chevrolet Biscayne 4dr taxi car a while back in a photo. PLAIN, PLAIN! Not sure if anyone has even seen a 1971-1972 Chevrolet Biscayne, but the chrome trim is extremely minimal. I think the only chrome is the bumper and around the front/rear windshields. Even the 65-70 Biscaynes had more chrome on them.

Another interesting car I remember seeing on a old movie is a 1971 Chevrolet Bel Air 4dr sedan in the 1971 movie "Duel" starring Dennis Weaver. If you have seen the movie, you may recall what is a "exterminators" car, which initially appeared to have been a police car. It had the different colored fenders, the sign on the door and a light on top. In fact, in the movie- the car is supposed to be initially mistaken for a patrol car.

Does anyone have any photos of the interior of that Buick LeSabre patrol car?

My '67 Delmont speedo goes reads 120 MPH and has Certified Police Speedometer on the face, 120 is the max reading for Olds police speedos in the 60's and 70's as far as I know. All 67 Oldsmobile "Apprehender" packages came as Highway Patrol series and a City Crusier package. Both included certified speedometers.

I have brochures on 77, 82, 83 and 85 Chevrolet police cars and they all list the certified speedo reading 120 MPH.

Fords and Chrysler products generally used higher reading speedometers.

I also have a 80 Buick LeSabre Lawman brochure.

The BT1 package included a 350 engine/turbo400 trans, (1)Heavy Duty Cooling, (2)Heavy Duty Energizer, (3)80 AMP Delcotron, (4)Heavy Duty Frame, Springs, wheels. (5)Notch back front seat w/arm rest, (6)Common key system, (7)Semi-Metallic pads disc brake, (8)2:73 Axle, (9)Police pursuit tires, (10) police calibrated speedometer, (11)full size spare tire.

(1) L-77 350 4-barrel V-8, (2)Automatic Transmission, (3)Fast ratio steering, (4)Rear stabillizer bar, (5)Heavy duty stabilizer bushing. List price was $491.00.

Additional options are as follows,

(1)heavy duty seat buns (frt) $17.00, (2)BG9 heavy duty rubber floor mats (replaces carpets-must specify BT1) $20.00, (3)C95 Dome reading light (only available with BT1) 20.00.

Henry

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for that information. I went back and looked at the Chevrolet and it seems like it does not state "certified" speedometer. confused.gif

I was just watching James Bond Live and Let Die, because my dad told me a lot of 1973 GM cars was in the movie. Seems like every car on the road is a brand new (1973) Chevrolet or Cadillac. Ironically, as I type this, they are showing 1973 Chevrolet Nova police cars. I have never seen one of these as a police car. In the beginning, they show a 1973 Bel Air taxi. It appears to even have more chrome than the 73 Impala police car on E-Bay. It had a strip of chrome on the lower rocker panel. It is showing another 73 Bel Air taxi and it has lower rocker panel chrome, as well as side protective trim. Seems like these could also be equipped in any way as well.

Here's the great photo that Gary Klecka ("AK Buickman") snapped in 1971. The photo was taken in downtown Flint, Michigan during the very first BCA National Meet. The photo shows a lineup of new 1971 LeSabre sedans used by the Genesee County Sheriff's Department. You can see that the car in the foreground is equipped with the 455 engine and the full wheelcovers.

20371_LeSabre_Police_Cars-med.JPG

Over the years, our TX DPS has usually ordered some reasonably nice cars, trim wise. Usually cloth interiors over vinyl in many cases. The cloth brocade interiors in the Fury IIs or similar might have looked a little fancy for a law enforcement vehicle, but they were also buying cars (at the state level) for other departments other than just the Highway Partol units. These also included the various under cover, Texas Rangers, and detective cars too. A trained eye could spot them (wide base wheels with wide radials and rear sway bars, for example and when available, factory dual exhaust). So buying all of these cars in "one spec" but varying the colors and such was the way they seemed to do it--at least when they were buying Dodges/Plymouths and Fords.

The "real" police units would usually have a Certified Speedometer as part of the police package. That could be a determining factor as to whether or not the car is "real", without seeing a build sheet.

In the Chrysler realm of things, several of the items in the police package (which had its own option code on the data plate) were the same as what was in the HD Trailer Tow package. There were also several "levels" of police units too, depending on the engine option desired. Ford did similar, typically. Each level of police unit had it's own "sales name" and engine choice attached to it.

During the 85 mph speedometer era, the certified police speedometers would typically go up to about 130mph. I happened to catch the certified speedometer heads on "closeout" at Chryler and bought two for my '80 Newport (the hash marks stop at 127mph). Each one came with a card stating that they were guaranteed accurate +/- 1mph in a specified temperature range. I inquired to a friend that was in a speedometer shop about how they certified them. He replied that they had a special temperature compensation spring in them (a temp range was listed on the card) so they could have that higher degree of accuracy. I knew that normal speedometers could be pretty accurate in their calibration, but I suspect the "certified" nomenclature would make the readings admissible evidence in court in the absence of an accurate radar clocking. Of course, for any speedometer to be accurate, the tire size/rolling diameter had to be the same as "production".

Sometimes, it seems the police brochures had some of the same advertising people working in them as regular cars. The police package names and also the other things they described their cars with. I had the opportunity to test drive a circa '86 Caprice 9C1 Police Car before it was "made ready". In that time frame, that was the only way you could get a 350 V-8 in a Caprice (regular civilian cars were limited to 305 4bbls) and you had to be a "qualified law enforcement buyer" to even get the car (but there was also a 6 months of ownership stipulation before it could be resold, as I recall). I'd read about the various HD items and was impressed with how tight the whole car felt, compared to other Caprices I'd driven. It was solid, quiet, and white. Then I came back in and started looking for 9C1-specific items. Main upgrades were suspension, brakes, electricals, and those "green" high-silicone content rubber hoses for coolant, with other items including fan clutches and such in the mix too. Seems that most of the Chevys I saw back then were vinyl bucket seat cars with rubber floor mats, but some also had vinyl split benches too (as split benches were standard anyway), but with a thicker grade of coated fabric than normal.

Back in the '60s and '70s, there were lots of "mix and match" option capabilities at GM, not to mention "fleet options". A knowledgeable dealership operative that knew what options did what could probably have basically duplicated a police-spec car where it mattered (engine, brakes, suspension) without actually getting a police-spec car. Then, if they had enough "room" in the price, they could spend another $100.00 (parts & labor) to put a certified speedometer in one of these cars too. LOTS of possibilities. Another place where finding a build sheet for the car would be helpful. And who's to say that GM Fleet operatives might not have used some excess production capacity to build some "near-police-spec" vehicles (at a special price) just for that situation. Whether or not the lower level spec cars had the certified speedometers might be open for discussion.

In '77, Pontiac put out a big push for their LeMans police package cars. The division was obviously heavily price-supporting the final bid prices as they seemed to undercut everybody else's bid. Put lots of those cars on the streets in the DFW area too--but that was the only time many of the local departments ever considered and bought Pontiacs. After that buy cycle, they went back to their normal Fords and Plymouths, it seemed, and the dealership that was making all of the sales changed owners. And then came the AMC Matadors a few years later . . .

There is a national police car owner's club. Reckon their members might have any more information on Buick police cars?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Shaffer

This thread really has me interested in the police cars now. I think there is a book out that shows old police cars from the 30s to current, that I would like to get.

To update- tonight- I finished watching that James Bond movie that had all of the "new" 1973 Chevrolet cars/trucks- most being police and taxi cars. I am not sure if they were actual police cars, or just standard (civilian) cars, made up a bit to look like police units. Most of them were Bel Airs, some equipped differently than others. Some had the side protective trim, others did not have any trim, except for the small chrome on the rocker panel. The most interesting cars was one of the Louisiana Sherriffs car- which was a 73' Impala 4dr sedan, with side protective strip, full wheel covers and even a vinyl top. It looked like a real police car, but like NTX mentioned- they all could be ordered up about anyway I guess. Sadly, this car was destroyed when a boat ran through it. He had just pulled up to a beautiful 73 Impala Custom coupe. Many of the other cars were crashed too. It was painful to watch those brand new, 100% rust free cars crashed. lol. When they would flip onto their tops, you could see the shiny bottoms and you could definitely tell that the cars were absolutely brand new. You would think they would have crashed slightly older cars to save money. They were not rare by any means back then, because over 300,000 4dr sedan Impalas were built in 1973- not including the other models in 1973. It did ironically show a couple of 1972 Ford Custom (entry level full-size) police cars, as one of the badly damaged "new" Chevrolet Bel-Air police cars drove up. Even at the end, it states that cars were furnished by Chevrolet Motor division.

Sorry- rambling again. grin.gif

It's not suprising that the '77 LeMans Enforcer was a 1 year wonder. Pontiac had a big push for police car sales that year, the next year GM downsized all of the "A" body cars which the Lemans was based on. In '77 the 400 and 350 engines were available, in '78 a 301 was the V8 engine.

What was suprising is that Pontiac even make the effort to widely market a police car. The Austin, Tx police dept ran a fleet of 77 Lemans as did many other agencies.

Henry

Guest Shaffer

I just did a search and ran across this site- may be of some interest.

http://www.tocmp.com/makes/police/

Speaking of 77 Pontiac police cars:

http://www.tocmp.com/makes/police/77Pontiac/1977PontiacPolicecars/Page%2055.html

73 Ford police cars:

http://www.tocmp.com/makes/police/73Ford/1973FordPolicecars/Page%2001.html

1977 Chevrolet police cars:

http://www.tocmp.com/makes/police/78Chev.../Page%2038.html

Many others on that site as well.

This reminds me the Kojak TV series. In the first episodes, most of the police cars were Fords but Telly Savalas was driving a brown 74 Century 455 with police caps. Later, there was also a metallic blue 74 Century in the fleet with flashers on it's top and full wheelcovers. In the newer episodes, Kojak was driving a copper color 75 Century (or Regal, I'm not sure). This car was reproduced in diecast models by Corgy and is often offered for sale on Ebay.

74 LeSabres were also available with the police option, they had the same frames as the convertible model.

• 3 weeks later...

I will try to post this order form,it might be a 1971.It wont show up good but I can tell you a part of it. Hi-performance 455 eng, perf. axle, heavy duty supension,springs & wheels, heavy duty eng & trans cooling,h.d. air cleaner, heavy duty front seat,& energizer,rear stab. bar and police calibrated speedo.

• 9 years later...
Guest tommyu

I ordered-out my OWN '80 BT1 LeSabre. I have the brochure(s) & the window sticker. It was order KQU094, delivered to Sommers Buick/Pontiac in Mequon, Wisc. on my 33rd birthday, Feb. 28th, 1980. There were no restrictions whatsoever on civilian purchases of BT1-equipped LeSabres, I even spoke w/Buick's local zone manager in his office to verify.

Edited by tommyu (see edit history)

IF the main differences in the BT1 car and "civilian" versions was in the chassis area and not in the engine specifications, then there would be no real reason for "restrictions". As I recall, there were some possible exemptions from EPA regulations if the vehicle was a verified "law enforcement vehicle" purchased by a "law enforcement agency", back then. It was acknowledged that emissions controls had diminished horsepower somewhat, which might relate to law enforcement operatives not being able to effectively do their job . . . CAN'T interfere with that , no matter what. CHP had already had issues with their Chrysler products in this area, but the engines still had to be emissions legal (although what happened "post-cat" could be altered (which is one area that CHP modified on their '79-'80s Chrysler products).

It's NEAT that you took the time and effort to research your purchase and then made it happen!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 1 year later...
Guest tommyu

I know this was an 11-years-ago posting but can anyone of you share the brochure images which no longer exist here?

Thank you....

I'm the former owner of the '80 BT1 Lawman referred to here.

Tom

414 - 448 - 0130

A67Man@aol.com

What engine/trans/axle ratio combination was in your car?  Reason I inquire is that relating to the Caprice/Impala cars, the 9C1 police cars could have the 5.7L Chevy V-8, but the civilian models were limited to the 5.0L 4bbl V-8.  I inquired about a civilian purchase of the 5.7L car and was told that ONLY law enforcement-type entities could order those cars, but that after 6 months, they could be sold to individuals.  I believe the 5.7L cars used Corvette-spec engines with full emissions hardware.  From the way the engine exhaust sounded, there might have been some  different tuning in the ECM chip, other than the top speed limit being 127mph or so.

NTX5467

"Tommyu", if you have any photos of that 1980 LeSabre police-equipped car, I would like to do an article about your purchase of it in the Buick Bugle magazine.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

P.S.: Just to add to this thread, in 1982, I worked as a city planner for the City of Midland, Texas. The City Manager's name was Jim Brown, and I was told that he had previously worked for Buick in Flint, Michigan. He was a very good city manager, well respected by the employees, and he had a bit of a Michigan accent. I remember that his official city car was a green 1979 LeSabre 4-door sedan, and parked right next to it at the city hall was the Assistant City Manager's official city car, a blue 1979 LeSabre 4-door sedan! I don't recall what the city's police cars were then, but they were not Buicks.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

• 4 years later...