Selden Patent Plate

JBMonteray

11 hours ago, Betty Jean said:

Very interesting thread indeed.  I currently am digging in my back yard with a metal detector and I have found some parts of a vehicle that I am having a difficult time to pinpoint exactly what it is that I am looking at.  I have the Seldon brass plate #43512 (Nov.5,1895) and an ER Thomas Motor Co., Pat. Nov. 8th 1904, Buffalo, N.Y.  I believe that I spoke with a gentleman, by the name of Bill Green from this club and he stated that because I also have a “door handle” that it was probably around 1906-1907.  It was confusing to me with the different dates on the 2 different plates.  I have found many small brass pieces and a large white porcelain license plate dated 1910 with the numbers 2286 VT.  The sign was manufactured by the “Baltimore Enamal & Novelty, enameled iron signs company.  I am just loving the history and hope to be further enlightened!

The different dates are just patent dates, not when the plate or vehicle was manufactured.

Thats neat that you are finding stuff literally in your back yard!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

It is every kids dream to dig up treasure, please post some photos to go with your story.  I once bought a 30HP Stanley Steamer rear axle that someone snagged with a backhoe up in Vermont. Bob 

I am so excited about my treasures, I would love to post pictures, but I do not know how to do so.  I do currently have someone who is interested in viewing them by e-mail, possibly he would be willing to share them.

16 hours ago, gwells said:

Betty Jean, posting pics here is almost trivial. If you need help doing that, I am willing to assist. Please let me know.

I would love help.  Currently, I have e-mailed them to a gentleman who may be interested in them, so they may or may not be for sale.  However, I would love to continue to share my treasures and my story.......I have a sense about me when I am digging, that I am living in the era........having so much fun!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Betty Jean said:

I would love help.  Currently, I have e-mailed them to a gentleman who may be interested in them, so they may or may not be for sale.  However, I would love to continue to share my treasures and my story.......I have a sense about me when I am digging, that I am living in the era........having so much fun!

I hope we can see all these bits before the get scattered to the winds after being together for so long. Bob 

3 hours ago, Betty Jean said:

I would love help.

It is pretty easy. When you make a post, go to the bottom of it and you will see a grey bar with a paperclip in it, like this:

image.thumb.png.589ce091b127aea55fb02599e2bd1b49.png

To get to the bottom of your post you might have to push the page up a bit (from outside your post) or scroll down with your mouse.

You can select Choose files... and select the image files, or you can drag them with your file viewing software and drop them there. Each file must be less than 9.77 MB in size, about 2000 pixels in each direction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

It is pretty easy. When you make a post, go to the bottom of it and you will see a grey bar with a paperclip in it, like this:

image.thumb.png.589ce091b127aea55fb02599e2bd1b49.png

To get to the bottom of your post you might have to push the page up a bit (from outside your post) or scroll down with your mouse.

You can select Choose files... and select the image files, or you can drag them with your file viewing software and drop them there. Each file must be less than 9.77 MB in size, about 2000 pixels in each direction.

Let me give it a try......not sure if I do have the correct size picture/pixels.

3B8D6523-D08E-41F0-831A-CE2605833D20.jpeg

EE7D41E3-A9DB-4097-95F4-AEAFB9222650.jpeg

DA2332CB-0511-49E1-921E-629E2E5C4A36.jpeg

58 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I hope we can see all these bits before the get scattered to the winds after being together for so long. Bob 

I have learned to post!  Stay tuned, I just have to place things in their proper forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I have learned to post!.......thank you to all.......now if I can only learn the process of staying on tract in the forums.  Please forgive me if I get lost a bit and I miss some posts.

I think that the best place for me to post all of my pictures would be to post them in the section where they could be sold.  My intend is to keep the history alive and to take the money to re-invest in my metal detecting hobby......and who knows......maybe find the rest of the vehicle that I am digging up.  I have to separate my piles of Trolley, Railroad, and Vehicle relics where 8 am digging.......just wish that  I could find that darn VT copper penny! 🤗

I think that the best place for me to post all of my pictures would be to post them in the section where they could be sold.  My intend is to keep the history alive and to take the money to re-invest in my metal detecting hobby......and who knows......maybe find the rest of the vehicle that I am digging up.  I have to separate my piles of Trolley, Railroad, and Vehicle relics where I am digging.......just wish that  I could find that darn VT copper penny! 🤗   I think the following forums will be where you might find pictures and possible options to buy........”parts for sale” and “photo and video”.  Again, thank you so much to everyone!

• 3 years later...

Hello All Seldon Fans and Collectors!

I recently found a Selden patent plate. This particular one was found in a very historic location, fairly deep in the ground, (likely in/near the original loss spot) and may be tied to a very noteworthy owner. It was found in northwestern Arizona (more detail available for the buyer/interested party). The serial number is 113,027 in excellent/near perfect condition, uncleaned/unrestored. quite a ways from where it was made, in an environment which would have been very tough on such an early vehicle. Oddly enough, there it was! Must have been someone with some scratch back in that day. :) A neat find, may need to go to the museum, but I thought I would reach out to collector's for a chance at it first. :)