Some jerk hit and ran from my '47 Dodge! (pic & question)

Chris Bamford

Last Friday at 3:25 PM some jerk in a stolen '89 Buick Park Avenue roared around the corner and clobbered my dear old Dodge. Of course, because the Buick was stolen, their insurance doesn't cover my damages.

I'm the third owner of this 68,000 mile car, which is a regular driver and usually lives ourdoors. The car is entirely original except for a 30-year old repaint, and I've owned it for 12 years.

And it's the paint that's the problem -- the next to last thing I want is a freshly painted fender that sticks out like a sore thumb on a car that is otherwise ageing evenly and gracefully, inside and out. (The last thing I want is to paint the whole car, and be then be unhappy with the chrome, the stainless, the interior, under the hood, etc. etc.)

Can anyone suggest a "fast ageing" treatment for fresh paint? The ideal result will be faded, hazed with fine scratches, low gloss, and a little chalky in spots.

If only the British made a "Patina In A Can"!

Chris, a Colt 1911 in 45 cal. would help you with feeling better about this, but I see you live in Canada. Check out some hotrod sites for the fast aging process on the paint. Those guys have perfected this, they sand and buff the high spots letting the primer show through to imitate patina. They also deaden the paint with flatners when they spray it.

I'm feeling very sorry for you and your Dodge.

Well, atleast the jerk didn't hit the body, only the fender.

Can you tell us how did this happen?Was he speeding fast or drunk or what??

Atleast you can be happy, that if you had owned a japanese-european car I guess the body had been so worn after a hit that it could not have been fixed.

So , I guess we all have to thank those late great american engineers who did great job with the cars! laugh.gif

Hey, I know a guy from Texas who was parting out '47-'48 Dodge . If you are interested I could ask him if he has a fender.

Guest De Soto Frank

Chris,

I'm very sorry to see/hear about your Dodge. frown.gif

My '41 De Soto also lives outside, and is a frequent driver. I see a fair number of cars around town that are victims of similar H & R incidents...

Perhaps this thought might ease your pain a bit: at the least the rear fenders are a bolt-on deal with our 1940's MoPars...you could've had something like a Packard Clipper, where the rear fender is a welded part of the body !

Good Luck with your repairs !

Chris ~ Your picture reminded me of something long forgotten. A Canadian Dodge is basically an American Plymouth body. What I now wonder is will an American Dodge fender fit a Canadian Plymouth or will you be limited to Plymouth parts if you find them from an American car? From the looks of the fender you might as well look for a replacement, which shouldn't be too hard to find. Then there is the paint problem. frown.gif

Also, in the early post war years, Canadian Pontiacs were essentially American Chevrolets with Pontiac grilles, interior and tail lights.

hvs

PS: These Canadian/American combination cars might make for an interesting discussion, if we can get knowledgable input from both sides of the border.

I remember the Ford-Mercury/Meteor-Monarch combinations ----- the Plymouth/Dodge combos and the Chevrolet/Pontiac. Were ther others???

hvs

Guest De Soto Frank

Chris -

Another resource, in case you weren't aware of it:

www.P15-D24.com

This site is dedicated to 1946-'48 Plymouth & Dodge, but other years and makes of MoPar are welcome.

We have a couple of forum participants from Canada, and generally a wealth of good MoPar info.

cool.gif

Oh damn chris that's to bad. I live on a corner where one street ends and turns at a sharp right angle into another street. A couple of years ago two 14 year olds found the keys to a neighboors Honda Civic and came down the street at 50mph and locked up the brakes and went over a 2ft. concrete wall across the street from us. This happened at 2:00AM. The car hit the wall so hard it activated the air bags in the Honda. By the time I got my house coat on to run out side to see what the hell was going on the kids were gone.

Ditto the reference to a Colt M.1911 in .45 Cal. Personally if I wanted to shoot holes in a car I'd use my Winchester M.97 Riot gun. As for the jerk a good old Canadian ass kicking with a frozen Sorel mukluk would be sufficient. smile.gif

I am also very sorry to hear about your car. Problem is, because the courts are so full and the jails stuffed to the rafters with pot heads, those miserable little jerks won't get much in either time or cost. I'm all for rigging cars with booby traps ... anyway, I have a suggestion : could your local shop possibly use their paint scanning system to match the paint as it is now on the car? Then use the closest hue for the new fender? Museum restoration departments do this for aged artifacts and it could work for you. It will not be easy so I doubt the local MAACO will want the job but surely someone can be found to attempt it.

My friend opines that due to todays lazy individuals this is not a viable answer....humph.

Just a thought. Good luck, Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

Who holds the insurance policy?? I would be interested on how the insurance company addresses it. Wether it be Taylor, Grundy, Progressive, etc., it would be nice to know how or if the insurance companies are going to take care of something that old. Based on your experience, it could prove to be a valuable experience with all of who own old cars, that have been fortunate not to be faced with the hand that you've been dealt. I am sorry for your mishap, but please let us know what kind of snags that you run into so that all of us can take measures in having adequate coverage to protect our cars.

My insurance coverage is with a Canadian firm, through their vintage auto division. While I could likely get compensation under my Collision coverage, I did not pursue it.

I think it's prudent to pass on the small claimables and save my coverage for a catastrophe -- I insure 10 vehicles old and newer, and don't want to attract any attention from my insurers!

whew real close to the door also..

I think that I have a left rear fender..some where

in my old stash of Mopar parts..also may have a park

lens, and bezel..plus a rocker panel ss trim.(long

and a radio..plus a speaker grille..(might be truck )

also stashed..

give me a reply at :

oldwagonman@yahoo.com...

and I will look and send e-pics..

JIM KEENAN in easley s carolina

10 mopars...most are wagons..