Cleaning Whitewalls

hilgretasmom1

I am having difficulty keeping the whitewalls on the tires I purchased from Coker looking crisp and bright. They have yellowed and nothing seems to make them look like the spare which has never been on the ground. Even the product that Coker sells won't make the other four match the unused spare. I do stay on top of this and don't let them get very dirty before cleaning them again. What are folks using that works?

Guest Skyking

Mine have a tendency to turn yellow. I use Coastal Power Clean from Auto Zone. $3.99 gal. & an SOS pad. They whiten right up!

Guest DeSoto Frank

I have not had experience w/ Coker's tires, but I have had the following wide-whites on my cars:

Goodyear All-Weather (diamond tread)

Universal's "Lester" WWW

Sears "Allstate Guardsman" (about 17 years ago)

I always used Westley's Bleche-White and a stiff scrub brush...seems to get 'em clean, but is also perhaps a little harsh on painted surfaces suchs as wheels, hubcap detail ,etc.

My cars have all been "drivers", not show cars, so I wasn't quite so concerned about wheel paint.

I have also used the SOS & Brillo pads...they work too, but require a little more elbow grease. If you use steel wool pads, make sure to thoroughly rinse things down, and perhaps follow-up with scrub brush & water; little bits of steel wool that get stuck in the tire or left on the wheel surface will rust, and perhaps leave rust stains...

One thing is certain...wide whites require frequent attention !

That is for certain, Frank. My Dad told me that when spring rolled around, the first thing they did in Minnesota was wash, and wax the car. Then it was time to clean and repaint the white walls!!! It took all day, usually on a Saturday. That was in 1940. I clean mine once a week...I just do not like a dirty car. Its something of a thing with me...like wearing clean undies. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine have a tendency to turn yellow. I use Coastal Power Clean from Auto Zone. $3.99 gal. & an SOS pad. They whiten right up! </div></div>

SOS pads were invented for wide whites. When I had the 58 Edsel years ago I used SOS pads around the white walls then I would brush the SOS soap in with a bores hair brush and they would look great. Don't have to worry about that nowadays with the Model T and the 36 Ford standard, no white walls. wink.gif

Guest my3buicks

Have been using Westleys Bleach White for 30 years with great results on everything from ganster whites to redlines.

I have tried all of the products listed on this thread and for the most part they seem to work. The Coker / Universal (same company by the way) tire seems to yellow quickly after cleaning. And it also seems that after 4 years they are all but impossible to get that like new look.

For those of you who are switching their WWW's to radials consider buying the Diamond Back Classic's. I don't know what they make the whitewall out of but it doesn't yellow and is the easiest WW I have ever cleaned. Even grease wipes right off with no stain.

Actually guys, staying away from any form of bleech products is the best way to go. It might clean the tires once, but continued use would make them appear to be cracked and weather checked. If you've got something on them (assuming these are radial tires) I would reccomend some soap and water with some 600-1000 grit sandpaper. If you have any problems or questions, you may always call me directly at 1-800-251-6336 ext 254, or to patrickm@coker.com.

As far as the Coker Tire/Universal Tire comments. We are not the same company. They do distribute some of our tires, but they're a customer just like everyone else that buys from us.

Using steel wool on the whitewall probably isn't a great idea either. I have seen a few cases where some pieces of the steel wool were in the whitewall and rusted. SOS, and brillo pads are all fine as they should not hurt the tire.

It depends on the kind of rubber cleaner. The key thing is to stay away from harsh cleaners like bleech, Comet, Acetone, Paint Thinners, and the like, and keep away from dressings like tire wet and armor all as they have a very high silicon content.

What kind of rubber cleaner do you mean?

Guest imported_SKYSTHELIMIT

I've used all of the above and found nothing to be better than a combination of Westleys bleche white and Brillo pads. Also no one has mentioned to not forget to do the black of the tire as well. After all the black gets dirty to and can make the tire look a whole lot cleaner than just the white being clean. Use your cleaners on the entire tire.

My cabriolet came with yellowed whitewalls. The best thing I've found to whiten them (and I've tried bleach, SOS, etc.) has been the Pink Stuff, Cut it to about 75% strength and use a scrub brush. My came back pretty well. (not sure of the brand of tire)

Wesley's is the leading killer of whitewalls guys. You can use it, but think about it this way. If you washed your car towels with straight bleech like that every time you cleaned them - they'd weaken and fray. Well, the same thing happens to your whitewalls. The more bleach, the more of the natural oils and moisture it will remove from the tire. I would reccomend using Gojo or Fast Orange before I would use bleech white. At least those are citrus based and won't hurt the white or the black of the tire.

Guest Randy Berger

And that is the brand name - the Pink Stuff?? I'm not being a smart__s, but I don't have a clue what you recommended and I don't like Westleys either.

YFAM, Randy Berger

I've always been super-fussy about having clean tires and wheels on my cars because crummy tires and wheels spoil a car's looks faster than anything. Wesley's has been undoubtedly the best I have found in the 20+ years I've been in the antique hobby. Use it with Brillo/SOS pad for really white whites. HOWEVER, cleaning often WILL take a toll on the whitewall. I suggest using it only when nothing else will work, or use it only once or twice a month. In between, use one of these new orange/citrus oil-based products along with SOS pad (with light pressure). I have not found any tire dressing that works on a whitewall (like Armor-all, etc.) These products make a mess on whitewalls. DO NOT get Wesley's on your wheels, as it will ruin the painted finish...especially if you use it in the sun.