1988 REATTA RADIO

reatta4kris

I just aquired my Dad's 1988 Buick Reatta. He was the original owner and finally decided to depart with it. One of the things I have found that is wrong

with it is that the tape player is stuck closed. I would like to put in a CD player and would like to know if this would be possible and still keep the features on the computer screen? What have other Reatta owners done to upgrade radios in the 1988. Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at bears4kris@msn.com. Thank you.

At least it is supposed to open that way, if it just clicks a lot then it needs new belts. The door will not pry open, it just breaks. The unit must be removed from the car and disassembled to get the tape out. (unless you are really lucky and it unpredictably pops open).

Think Jim Finn's son was replacing the belts and at one point instructions on how-to were posted here (in 2001 ?).

like 10 posts before this there is a thread to the effect "radio in 91 reatta".

i took a picture of what i did and attached it. btw, reatta's hold sound great. of all the people i know with systems i think my car sounds the best, (inside at least)

I have a 98 that the prev owner installed a changer in the center council. If I could do it over I would have put it in the trunk. I still have the touch screen for the radio but a remote for the cd's. I like this method. but now I'm interested in replacing the speakers.any suggestions from any one.

Just for information, I did follow this repair procedure. I was able to take the cassette unit out and replace the belts. The best advise I can offer is to take it slow. The unit is layered, that's the only way I can describe it. One part opens into another. If you are in a hurry, you will miss a step. That little manual really helped me do the job. My repair has lasted for two years so far and counting. As for the CD, there as been much discussion in recent months. I would do a "search" of the this forum to see what you can find that might help you. I may be incorrect, but I don't think any of the solutions so far have worked with the CRT.

I have installed infinity Kappas all around on my '89 and am pleased with the sound, though they were a little pricey. A good upgrade while you are changing out the speakers is to install later model (90-91) speaker brackets in the rear, allowing you to install 6X9s in the rear, which will afford you much more capacity for bass.

you can spend as much as you want on speakers. and generally you get what you pay for. i have a pair of sony 3 way explodes in my doors and a pair of pioneer 6 and 1/2s in the back

you could go and buy a pair of speakers that are incredible and will cost you 400$ a pair

i am very happy with how mine sound and i only spent 40$ on the sonys and not too much on the pioneers. reatta's have real potential to sound nice, i currently am running the four normal speakers and 4 tweeters (on by each normal) running off of a small amp and a pair of 10s off of a slightly bigger amp. but even without the subs it sounds pretty good, i know because i blew that amp in about a week. it kinda sucked that there was 0 bass but you can over come it. good luck

btw, you mean an 89 right?

I honestly think the stock speakers sound better then Sony and Pioneer. Infinity kappas are real nice, anything else Infinity makes like amps or the reference are junk. Polk is about the nicest I've ever heard. Might want to check out www.crutchfield.com and test some out, if you are not happy send them back within 30days and try another set, it's all about what you like. cool.gif

fyi, at least in my experiance, crutchfield has everything but generally over charges you, you can usually find anything else for cheeper somewheres else.

also, the sonys and pioneers are more than decent enough when theyre wired to an amp and not just the headunit. but again, you get what you pay for usually. if you spend 120$ on a pair of speakers they will probably sound better than something for 40$ a pair

you may be right about the "you get what you pay for" adage, but do not overlook the accoustics of the car itself. My off-brand 6 X 9s and the low end door speaker replacements sound extremely realistic with the low-end Pioneer in-dash CD, better than many custom systems costing $700 or more. I attribute that almost entirely to the excellent accoustics in this particular model. I am really not sure paying another $300 for speakers would make a very noticeable difference. One thing often overlooked is speaker wire. A while back we flirted with CAT, which does carry far better.