Positive Cable

Richard S

I have been fighting corrosion at the cable end from a leaking battery for some time, and perhaps it is time to change both. The AC Delco cable for the 90 [sOX60-2SA] is about $95. I don't see anything terribly unusual about the cable, though. It looks like a standard 2 wire 60" side post cable, maybe 6 gauge (?), except that the lug at the solenoid end is 90 degrees. Have others replaced the OEM with aftermarket, perhaps going to 4 or 2 guage?

I haven't done it yet, but I am going to do so. I haven't yet decided whether

to get rid of the side terminal connection and go to top terminals.

Aftermarket should be easy to adapt, and I see no reason to make the dealership owner any more affluent.

No disrespect intended but I am confused. Why buy a battery cable from the dealership for $95 when you can go to a cars parts store and buy just about the same thing for probably 7 or 8 bucks? Like I said, no disrespect intended but am just curious about the decision making process to spend 1000% more for basically the confused.gifsame part....thanks!

If you decide to clean up the old cable and it looks to be in useful shape, buy new side post attaching bolts from you local parts store. If the cable end lug had any corrosion at all, you'll see that the bolt threads had started to disappear. These bolts are just pushed down into the insulating rubber that covers the terminal end. You can knock the old one out by tapping on the threaded end with a hammer. Install the new by lubricating the hole in the rubber cover and pressing it into the hole.

Just a few comments in reply. First, the $95 price tag is for the AC Delco OEM cable from autopartsgiant.com. I wouldn't even speculate as to what the dealer charges for this part. Second, I decided to replace the cable because I have been fighting corrosion on the original for a couple of years now and think it may have worked its way beyond the copper lug down through the cable itself. I have cleaned the cable end at the battery numerous times, and replaced the threaded lug at least 3 times over this period. Third, it is likely that once I had the cable out and examined it and found it was nothing more than a standard 2 wire side mount, I would simply have gone to the local parts store and bought a generic replacement for $15 or gone with Jim's offer of a good used OEM. Fourth, I was wondering about upgrading when replacing if anyone thinks there is some advantage to increasing the cable gauge. Stock looks to be 6 gauge or so, and I am thinking of going with 2. More carrying capacity I suppose, but less flexible, and I am not sure yet how many sharp turns it has to make.

Bigger is generally a good thing when it comes to battery cables, so I do believe it would be a useful improvement. I do not know if it is really required, as most of these cars now come with lower currecnt draw mini-starters, and this certainly isn't a high compression engine. Good, clean and large ground cables also may help if cranking is a problem.

I fought a corrosion problem in the two-piece-with-lead-spacer positive battery terminal on our Bonneville for several months before taking the time to completely clean. Since than I have not had a problem.

One of the elements was liberal use of NOCO H2SO4 Battery Cleaner I found at WalMart. After disassembling the elements and wire brushing, I dipped each in the cleaner which bubbled happily. Has been about six months now.

As I learned from a post a year or more ago, the corrosion likely arises from a pinhold leak in the battery, so until I replace the battery, cleaning will become a perpetual task. One of the rituals is a baking soda/water bath to neutralize the acid. I am just not sure how far, if at all, into the cable the corrosion has penetrated. I have just about convinced myself to replace the cable with a generic 60" 2 guage 2 wire side mount. I will miss that wonderful red rubber insulator, though.