More One-of-a-Kind Buicks

Centurion

During recent months, we've had a number of topics covering some of the very special one-off Buicks made over the years, and have wondered where they are now.

Among the post WWII Buicks we've discussed here within the last year are the following:

1950 El Kinenos -- displayed in the King Ranch Museum in Texas.

1953 Wildcat I -- in the Joe Bortz dream car collection.

1953 Skylark 2-door Riviera -- formerly (?) owned by Jim Ashworth in California, but offered on Ebay in 2002. Current ownership unknown.

1954 Wildcat II -- displayed in the Sloan Museum, Flint.

1954 Roadmaster Landau -- this ex-Motorama dream car was offered on Ebay earlier this year, but did not sell.

1955 Wildcat III -- fate unknown.

1955 Century California Highway Patrol cars -- one or two still exist and have been fully restored by California collectors. (Not a one-off; 270 were built, but these cars were still very unique.)

1956 Century X -- owned by a Michigan BCA member, and currently undergoing restoration. This is apparently a William Mitchell creation, but I've never seen photos.

1958 Limited Wells Fargo -- custom built for actor Dale Robertson. Passed through the auto auctions in the late 1990's, current ownership and whereabouts unknown.

1958 Lido Coupe -- body by Pininfarina. Fate unknown.

1960 Electra 225 "GM Styling" convertible for Harlow Curtice -- car exists and was displayed at Hershey last fall. "My3Buicks" took photos, and I hope we can get these posted here. "70Electra" has been in contact with the owner of this unique car.

1963 (?) Riviera Silver Arrow -- in the GM historical collection.

1971 (?) Riviera Silver Arrow III -- fate unknown, but possibly in the GM historical collection.

1971 Centurion -- pearlescent white convertible with gold-plated trim for the auto show circuit, fate unknown.

The history and whereabouts of these vehicles is fascinating to me, and some of these cars have received far less attention than Buick's other "crown jewels" like the Y-Job, LeSabre, and XP-300.

Today, I received my August, 2004 issue of "Collectible Automobile" magazine. You all know by now that I hold this publication in high regard. I was immediately struck by one of the articles, which carried the following title:

"Where Are They Now? One-of-a-Kinds That Make Us Wonder"

The article begins as follows:

"Automaker archives are peppered with photos of specially built, but thoroughly functional, cars built to be seen in shows or used by company executives and other prominent people. The vehicles were out in the great, wide world once. Could they still be around somewhere?"

The article proceeds to show photos and information about various one-off vehicles produced in the 1950's and 1960's by General Motors and Chrysler. The list is by no means exhaustive, but the two featured Buicks are cars that I have never before read about in any of the books or automotive literature I've seen.

Harlow Curtice's 1950 Roadmaster convertible -- This car received very special treatment, in much the same way that Curtice's 1960 Buick convertible did. (For those who wonder who Harlow Curtice was, he was Buick's famed general manager, who served the division with great distinction from the mid-1930's to 1948 and was promoted to the presidency of General Motors in 1953.) If I have opportunity during the days ahead, I will try to scan the photos. Really, though, you should buy the magazine when it hits the newsstands.

William Mitchell's 1958 Caballero Roundup -- Another western-themed car, with a gun rack center console, wood trim throughout, bucket seats, and exterior wood trim done in the same manner as the Wells Fargo. This one is based on the Century Caballero Estate Wagon, which was a pillarless hardtop wagon.

Wow! Part of what makes Buick's history so fascinating is the number of special, one-of-a-kind cars built during the years.

This seems like a regular section of the Bugle for years to come. Should also include a "record" of sorts for those that are found. Also, what about the older Brewster (I think) special bodied cars. Incidentially, a posted a message about a Buick ('48 Sedan) converted to rail use (RR executive, I think)in MS. As we are gearing up for our Yankee car show in early June, I have somewhat let that slip, but intend to pursue more later. Anyone else interested in this use.

John

John, I've followed with interest the topic about the Buick railcar. This is certainly a unique automobile with an unusual history, and I hope that there is sufficient interest to ensure that this car is preserved. Please keep us posted about your efforts with the car.

You are absolutely correct that there are many unique, pre-WWII Buicks. Those cars are outside the scope of my above list, but, at some point, I'll try to identify the ones that I'm aware of. Others can add to the list and our knowledge about the status of those vehicles.

A few other cars have come to mind. Greg Cockerill ("70Electra") includes the 1958 XP-75 Skylark III in his excellent website covering the 1960 Buicks. This car, which was a possible answer to Ford's 4-seater Thunderbird, was clearly predictive of the 1960 Buicks:

xp75frt3.2.jpg (Photo from Greg's website.)

Does anyone know what happened to this one? Was it a functional vehicle? In the dim corners of my mind, I'm thinking that there was also a dark-colored Skylark II, which was substantially similar but having a 1959 appearance. Perhaps the Skylark III was simply a re-worked version of Skylark II. I'll see if I can dig up additional information.

Other cars that were lightly-modified versions of standard production models included:

1961 Flamingo -- a pink, one-off show car based on the '61 Electra 225 convertible. Whenever I think of this car, I think of the closing scenes of the movie "Animal House". Okay, it wasn't my favorite movie, and I saw it only once a long time ago. But I'm thinking that we saw John Belushi drive away in a pink '61 225 convertible. Could it have been the Flamingo?

1963 Wildcat -- I've seen a few photos of a one-off, white Wildcat convertible with horizontal, oval headlamp units. If I'm not mistaken, this special Wildcat wore the first set of Buick's chrome road wheels that first became available as a regular option on the '64 Wildcats. The fate of this one is also unknown, unless someone else has information to the contrary.

Guest my3buicks

How about the 1967 "show cars" for the 1967 International Auto show!

One was a Riviera finished in Burnished Pewter Pearl, matching interior featuring strato-bucket seats with a vertical piping design in nylon knit fabric and trimmed with madrid grain vinyl. The console was trimmed in stained poplar wood, the carpeting was high-pile nylon color coordinated.

A Wildcat Custom in Red Marano Pearl accented in Burgandy Mist, strato bucket seats covered in red Corfam with inserts of oversewn embroedered pattern usded also to accent upper door panels. The Console was finished in brushed chrome, matching panels on doors, carpeting was high-pile Masland

Guest imported_Thriller

I have a photo of another rail conversion - it seems to me it was from the late '30s. We saw it at the Western Development Museum in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. When I am able to get the wife to help me locate the photo, I'll scan it in (from the days before our digital camera) and post.

Some further info:

--- --- --- --- ---

There is an amazing hood-up shot of the '54 Wildcat II on the GMPhotoStore.com site. Go to 'Collections' and go to page 7- it's worth it.

--- --- --- --- ---

According to media.gm.com, the '55 Wildcat III "no longer exists". As a 20-year 'student' of concept cars, I can tell you I have not heard a whisper of it existing in that time span. There's a color pic of it on the GMphotostore site, too; looks pretty cool with the body-colored (fiberglas) wheelwells.

--- --- --- --- ---

1956 Century X: I haven't encountered this one before, but a Google search turned up this:

http://www.daytonaparts.com/gallery/8.html

--- --- --- --- ---

Here's what media.gm.com says regarding the '58 XP-75:

"XP-75, 1958 - This was a two-passenger coupe with twin white leather bucket seats. It was hand-built by Pininfarina in Turin, Italy. Its wing-like rear fins became a 1959 Buick styling feature and its sculptured metal side treatment a hallmark of the 1960 Buick line. Features included power windows, air conditioning, paddle-type door releases, floor-mounted transmission lever, vertically indicating radio and specially designed steering wheel. The engine was a 348-cubic-inch V-8. This car, featured in GM's Golden Milestone Parade in 1958, no longer exists."

Brian, the pic you posted is apparently the operational Skylark II. The other Skylark II you mention, the 'dark colored' one was shown in Collectible Auto June '92 (the '59-60 Buick article). That dark coupe features a more '59-ish front end and was a non-functional fiberglas unit (didn't even have real glass in it).

--- --- --- --- ---

Motor Trend's August '63 issue covers some interesting '63 concept cars, among them the '63 SR-200 Skylark convertible, which besides custom upholstery, wire wheels & a center nose-to-tail racing stripe, it had rear brake air intakes in front of the rear wheelwells. Also seen in one pic is the '63 Wildcat 445 convert, with the molded headlights & the Buick Road Wheels. It reportedly had a "very extensively chromed" interior.

Anyone want to post the links to the other concept car topics (I missed 'em)??

The 1956 Century X is owned by the man responsible for the restoration of the GM Futurliner. I saw it last week in his barn, and he is collecting the pieces necessary to finish it. I think it will be the next project when the "Futurliner" is finished.

WQ59 and Joe, your comments regarding all of these cars is very helpful.

I located the "Collectible Automobile" photo of the Skylark II, which apparently dated from summer, 1957.

203Skylark_II.JPG

As WQ59 pointed out, this car was simply a fiberglass styling model without real windows. The front-end styling of this car is more similar to the '59 Buicks, but carried some of the bodyside sculpturing of the 1960 Buicks. Interestingly, its rear bumper configuration was strongly considered for the 1959 production Buicks, but it was ultimately rejected because it would have been costly to manufacture.

It's helpful to know that the vehicle shown in the earlier post -- the XP-75 from 1958 -- was a real, functioning vehicle. It is unfortunate that this unique vehicle no longer exists.

Here are links to some of the great photos available at gmphotostore.com.

Here's Harley Earl with a styling model of the 1951 LeSabre:

http://www.gmphotostore.com/source/Detai...action=&ss=

Here's the 1953 Wildcat I:

Next is the open hood shot of the 1954 Wildcat II:

The next photo is the 1955 Wildcat III:

While we're at it, here is a photo of the 1954 Landau:

WQ59 mentioned the 1963 SR200 Skylark show car. I had forgotten this one:

Here is the 1961 Flamingo convertible:

Joe mentioned that the individual who owns the 1956 Century X is currently restoring a GM Futureliner:

Joe, you mention that you saw the 1956 Century X last week. Are there unique styling aspects to the car that you can tell us about?

Another car that I had forgotten was the 1970 GSX prototype owned by Brad Conley:

buick-gsx-1970p1.jpg

Here's another one to ponder. Does anyone know if the Buicks that actually paced the Indianapolis 500 in 1959, 1975, 1976, 1981 and 1983 still exist? I'm not thinking of replicas here, but of the actual pace cars themselves.

WQ59, when I have opportunity, I will try to furnish links to the previous threads about some of these unique Buicks.

Interesting question regarding the actual pace cars. I thought that usually (always?) they're given to the winning driver, but I cannot recall <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> seeing any actual pace cars (just replicas or 'official copies') for sale. Where are they all hiding???

Buick usually built two "real" pace cars. The Sloan Museum has three or four, but I am not sure which years. I know they have the turbo V6, maybe 1976, and the (I think ) 1982-3They are in the Archive building right now, so I will check next Tuesday when i go down to work.

My3buicks, I missed your photo attachments of those '67 show cars the first time around. I would love to see those cars.

Seeing that '67 Wildcat 2-door hardtop reminds me again that these were sleek, beautifully-sculptured cars. It is my opinion that the collector car marketplace has not yet adequately recognized these stunning Wildcats.

Thanks for adding to our list!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's another one to ponder. Does anyone know if the Buicks that actually paced the Indianapolis 500 in 1959, 1975, 1976, 1981 and 1983 still exist? I'm not thinking of replicas here, but of the actual pace cars themselves. </div></div>

According to the Buick Reps I was talking to at the time, I was told the 2 cars I saw in person were indeed actual pace cars. I don't know if the rep confused lapping Indy during ceremonies VS. actual pace car laps...but I was told the 81 and 83 cars I was looking at were the real deal. Still in the ownership of Buick. I photographed both. Even made a mural of sublimated ceramic tile 2' x 3' of the 81 Regal. The Riviera had just finished a complete ground up restoration by Buick. Apparently it was getting somewhat neglected and rough.

A friend also shot pics of a definite 81 Regal pace car. I'll not disclose it's location to not get somebody in trouble...but we know it was the real deal.

Unsure of the other pace cars.

Hey, with production numbers of 20, does my 82 Turbocharged Grand National count as a "One-of-a-Kind" Buick? Or is 20 too many?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you get to see Brad's GSX Proto up close, you'll be blown away. It is absolutely perfect. </div></div>

You forgot Brads other prototypes...awesome!

Dan (unsuccessful in getting Brad to adopt me)

Guest 70 Electra

Brian,

The XP75 photo on my website is dated October 1960, and represents the car's appearance in its later years.

I have acquired a 1" thick file documenting the construction and project history of the XP75. I hope to write a detailed account of this interesting car for possible submission to one of the hobby mags, but for now will offer this brief summary:

This was Bill Mitchell's project, and began around the spring of 1957. From the beginning, the car was intended to be built by Farina of Italy. A June 57 memo reveals that the car is tenatively planned as an interim 1959 model!

The car was originally going to use a 13" shorter frame, with the engine lowered 1" and setback 8". This was to achieve a very low (49.6") height. A non-functional (fiberglass) mockup was made, which was scheduled for review on Friday 8/16/57. This is the dark "car" pictured in Collectible automobile. Documents suggest it may have been dark green (not black), with a light beige interior. Notice the date on the Collectible Automobile photo is 8/19, which is the Monday following the Friday review.

Ragsdale is OK with the frame shortening, but refuses the engine lowering and setback; Harlow Curtice supports this and Bill Mitchell concedes. Eventually, TWO running versions of the car are built: the chassis's are built by Buick, then shipped to Italy for the bodies. One is ivory (with blue interior), the other is silver (silver interior). Notice the photos of the running cars (Skylark III) are not as low and laid back as the original mockup. This is due to the limitations of the production engine location.

Initially, the cars had 1959-like canted headlamps. However, both were modified SEVERAL times over the next few years, and at least one of them got the single Lucas headlamps seen in my website picture.

For some reason, the cars were kept around...even after the idea of a production version was nixed.

A July 1964 memo directs that the white car is to be scrapped. It specifically states the silver one is NOT being scrapped. Keep in mind that in 1964, these cars were 6 years old, and the GM Design Studios were probably working on 1967 and 1968 designs by then. The fact the XP75's were still around is a testimony to the fact that they were very special to Bill Mitchell.

A memo from late December 1965 indicates that the silver XP75 has NOT been scrapped, and is in storage. My final document is a June 67 memo to Bill Mitchell stating that the silver XP75 (now almost TEN years old!!) will be transferred to Buick and is to be picked up by them at the Styling warehouse.

So now the question is: What happened to this car that existed until at least June 1967????? I strongly suspect that Buick scrapped it...either immediately, or in the not too distant future. Perhaps an ex-Buick (Flint) employee will remember this silver car in the 1967-68 timeframe??

Greg, this is fantastic information. I hope that some former Buick employees will be able to shed light on the car's ultimate fate. Moreover, I look forward to seeing your information published in a future magazine article.

Thanks for your contribution here.

Greg,

Just wanted to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed your '60 Buick website. It's very interesting and well done. I especially like the "original French Connection" car section. This kind of history is priceless. I love that movie and now I have one more piece of inside information on it! I also enjoy your insider tips on styling cues. These are fascinating, especially from the fifties and early sixties when stylists were looking at aircraft for inspirations. The jet engine nacelle design cues for the '60 headlamp treatment is a great example of this. I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get to see Brad's GSX Proto up close, you'll be blown away. It is absolutely perfect. </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words, Adam. Here's a better picture (I hope). Sorry if it's a little big...

GSXPICTUREver3.jpg

Yes, Centurion, I seem to recall those. I went to the Internet Movie Database to check out other car trivia from French Connection (and posted a link to Greg's page on the 1960 Buick Invicta REAL French Connection car).

There was a post questioning what kind of car was used in the chase scene with the elevated train. All I could say was I remembered it as a Pontiac, probably a '70 or '71, and a mid-size model.

You know any more about it? I know your eyes are usually "tuned" for spotting Buicks, but thought I'd ask.

I guess you could't find much more of a one-of-a-kind buick than the French Connection car, so just go to page 7 of Greg's web site to see and read all about it.

http://hometown.aol.com/equipoise60/60buickhomepage7.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad, thanks for posting the excellent photo. It appears that you have some other prototypes or "one-offs", so we would be interesting in hearing (and seeing) more about those as well! </div></div>

Sure, Here's the black GSX. It was the only one produced in code 19 black with the gold stripes. Story is a guy wanted a black car with gold stripes or he was going down the street to buy a Chevy. Car was delivered to the dealer with all the GSX decals and such and the red pinstripes, but the dealer painted the gold. It has been documented as a true GSX via the buildsheet found in the car. Photo is from the book <span style="font-weight: bold">Buick Muscle Cars</span> by Bill Holder and Phillip Kunz. Photo is copyright 1996 by Phillip Kunz.

71gsx-bookcover.jpg

Here's the GNX Prototype. It was built on a 1986 Grand National chassis by Buick for display at car shows and other events and as such was treated to a high quality paint job by Buick. All of the special GNX parts are there, but they are pre-production prototype parts with engineering numbers hand etched onto each. I bought it several years ago from Byron Scott, a former Buick engineer who purchased the car from Buick upon his retirement. Scotty is a great guy who's passion runs deep for Buick.

Added in edit: I'm going to resize the photo of the GNX and post below. It was huge! Sorry!

Brad, thanks for contributing the excellent photos and additional information. Your collection of Buick muscle is incredible!

I've enjoyed the photos of some of your cars in the "Buick Muscle Cars" book for many years. I also have the ERTL 1/18-scale version of your black and gold '71 GSX.

Thanks Brian. I appreciate the complements. The Hunter Green 72 Centurion Convert in that book is mine also. It is a very nice original car. Never been monkey'd with. I have, in all, 17 Buicks. Everything from a 64 Electra that was my first car, to my 2004 Rainer. Could say I've got it bad...Buickitis that is. wink.gif

Brad, you're a man after my own heart . . . and there's probably a lot of guys on this forum who could say the same thing.

Am I correct in thinking that your '72 Centurion convertible was part of John Weber's collection of Centurion convertibles? If so, I remember seeing it in Indianapolis at the 1986 Buick Nationals. These are beautiful cars. Any photo of that one you would care to show all of us?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I correct in thinking that your '72 Centurion convertible was part of John Weber's collection of Centurion convertibles? If so, I remember seeing it in Indianapolis at the 1986 Buick Nationals. These are beautiful cars. Any photo of that one you would care to show all of us? </div></div>

Yes, I am sure it was one of his cars. I believe it was the one he "didn't get to" as it has not been restored. Photo is a scan from <span style="font-weight: bold">Buick Muscle Cars</span> again, as I don't have a good photo of it on this computer.

centurion1.jpg