Glove box door stuck closed- 1955 Buick

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

My grandfather 1955 Buick Specials' glove box door is stuck closed. It used to open/close, but would have to be slammed shut. He slammed it one too many times one day and now it will not open. The button will push in, but door still will not open. I tried holding in the button and prying it open, but no go. Any one else had this problem with their 55? Any advice on how to get it open? Nothing important in there but the owners manual, but we need it and still want to get the door fixed. Thanks.<P>Tony<P>1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4dr<BR>1989 Pontiac Safari wagon<BR>1991 Honda Accord LX 4dr

I experinced this on my 1952 Chevrolet pickup<BR>I was able to get it open using a thin piece of metal. like a hacksaw blade. by pushing the latch open. The pot metal latch had broken off so the button could not operate it.<BR>Hope this helps.

Try removing the three screws on the bottom...otherwise you will have to "gorilla it off". None of my three 55's have a easy opening glove box and believe me I've tried and tried to adjust those suckers (also the glove box lights don't work either...first time you slam it the filament breaks).<BR>When you pry spread the force so you don't mar the box or dash...you are trying to sraighten a 1/2" piece of looped sheet metal inside the box that the door latches to, If unsure any 54 or55 box is the same as a reference.<BR>Good Luck...........Willie

I don't know about the 55 Buick, but on our 57 Cadillac I was able to unscrew the trim piece that surrounds the button (the one that you push in to open it). This released the latch from the door and allowed me to open it. I used a thin-bladed screwriver and placed it in the thin (very thin) slot between the button and the surrounding trim piece. If that doesn't work, I would definately go with removing the screws at the bottom of the glove box door.<BR>Good luck!

The whole top of the dashboard on my '54 comes out remarkably easily: a couple of screws under the frond edge, remove the bottom inside windshield garnish moldings, and a couple of screws holding the back of the dash top on, and pull it out. A '55 might be the same. Then you'd have easy access to the mechanism from the top side. Real easy access.<BR>If you go from the bottom, do youself a favor and pull out the front seat. It only takes about 15 minutes, and you will easily make up that time by being able to work easily laying on your back on the floor. Your back will also thank you. <BR>And footprints on the headliner are no fun when they're put there working under the dash.<BR>-Brad

If removing the hinge screws doesn't get it, try Crins approach. The chrome trim ring around the latch button can be carefully pried off as it is crimped on the eustecheon (at least on the Super). When you remove this, the pushbutton and can be removed and the latch can be "sprung" with a small wire or screwdriver. To reinstall, flex the ring slightly with needle nose pliers and put 1 drop of super glue (CA) on the thin flange of the ring that catches the eustecheon with a toothpick and snap it back on. <P>A thin coat of "Door Ease" lubricant on the metal plate and some graphite on the latch will help stop the sticking. <P>Good luck<p>[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: KAD36 ]

Tony<BR>The safest way to open it without damaging the paint is to remove the top of the dash as Brad mentioned and unscrew the actual glove box and then unscrew the latch and make necessary repairs. On the specials the lock cylinder cover does not pry off. The cylinder is held in place from the rear of door.<BR>Good Luck

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

It may be easier to locate another cardboard for the glove box first.<P>Then operate with a utility knife. Cut a hole in the glove box big eought to get in there and work.<P>I do not think you can open this from the front . You may have to unscrew the strike plate, which is above the lock latch.<P>I think this is a lot easier than removing the dash and or the seats.<P>My glove door is unadjustable as well.<P>Scott Mich<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS88