Skyhawk 1975 - 1979 ?

steve90

Wondering if Buick ever put the 3.8 turbo in the 1975-1979 Skyhawk. I thought I saw a reference a while back to something called a "Road Hawk" or "Turbo Hawk". I think it was a 1978 or 1979. Also, how many 1970's Skyhawks are still on the road. Any cherry ones for sale out there? Thanks!<P>Steve<BR>Minneapolis

Guest Dans 77 Limited

It was called the "Road Hawk" I know it was available in 79 and yes it was a Turbo. As far as a "cherry " Skyhawk Im not sure on that one, I dont know if one ever existed or if it was the cars fault or the cars previous owners fault , but the 79 Skyhawk I had the misfortune of buying in 1984 was the WORST car I have ever owned ...bar none. It was a mechanical nightmare that left a bad taste in my mouth for years afterward, I HATED that car, it almost turned me against Buicks. Sorry if Im ranting but I just cant help trying to save someone from the torture my 79 Skyhawk put me through.<P>Dan

I had, ten years ago, a 1978 Buick Skyhawk with a 4 speed, and V6. It was terrible in the snow, but a fun car to drive otherwise. I very much liked the looks. I barely see anymore of them through. At one time, I started looking for one - but couldn't find one even when looking nationwide through Autotrader. I saw one for sale not too long ago, and was EXTREMELY tempted - but it was an automatic, and I very much feel that car and engine setup screams for a 4 speed (better yet, 5 speed if you could figure the swap) to get any performance out of it. I had the car for 6 years, and drove the heck out of it. Some of the engineering on it was terrible - you had to partially lift the engine in order to change the starter ! Also, per typical GM - the plugs (only 2 of the 6) were difficult to get to. Otherwise - fun car.

The "Roadhawk" was a 1979 exclusive version of the Skyhawk, had special cladding added to the sides was only in a light gray and dark gray color scheme, there were no turbos on the '75-'79 Skyhawks, like the BuickNut said they were a fun car,but I had a '79, 4-speed got stuck in the snow in Michigan 4 times, including once in the parking lot at work! It was also the worst new car I ever owned! Blew a rod bearing at 5K miles, and then the transmission went the day before I had it a year, the 1-2 shift fork fell off inside the trans.I traded it for a '79 Chevy 4x4 granny gear stick for payoff! Best thing I ever did!<BR>The Skyhawks of the '80s did have an optional 1.8L turbo available, they were plagued with head gasket leaks because of the aluminum head, they were built on the Cavalier/Sunbird platform. The '75-'79 Skyhawks were built in Norwood, OH, that plant was shuttered, in '80, and the Cavalier/Sunbird/Skyhawk in the '80s were built in Lordstown, OH, the convertible versions are built in Lansing, MI today. The Lordstown plant still builds the Cavalier and Sunfire, at one time they also built the G-van. They have a chance to build the next generation of little cars(replacement for Cavalier/Sunfire) in the next couple years.<p>[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: BUICK RACER ]

• Like 1

Is this the same car that looked like the Monza? I have just seen one of these (monza)fixed up recently and it brought back memories.A guy in school had the one with a V8. A friend of mine had the Buick in the late 80's after his wife had moved on to a newer car,he ran it right to its death and said it was a great car.

My Mom bought a Roadhawk brand new. I was with her went she went to the dealer. They did'nt have a turbo. As a teenager it was a fun car to drive. Although my 70 GS 455 had more power at the time. My GS had cruise and the speed warning buzzer. Has anyone ever heard of this?<P>Peter de Jong

Yes, the Skyhawk was like a Monza only with a Buick engine. Saw one on the dealer's lot with a Chevy emblem on the lock for the hatch, the salesman just shrugged when I pointed it out! There's a couple of guys using them for race cars recently with 455 Buick engines both run in the high 8s to low 9s, quite a site to see!<BR>And yes, you could get cruise and a speed alert in a GS, both were options. Roberta

I've been trying to remember, but what was the small V8 in the Monza? All I can remember is 260 but maybe confused with the 260 Ford that went into the Tigers.<P>Then what were the engines available in the Skyhawk? Did the Buick come with a standard? These were nice looking cars and would be nice to see someone saving a few of them.Was there also a Oldsmobile, Pontiac counterpart?

My '79 skyhawk had a 4-speed, I think that was the standard issue. The auto was an option in all the H-body cars, I would have to go did for info on the other brands, as I had no interest in them to see what was available. There is a H-body club, they have a link with an address on our BCA web site, I have seen their newsletter and it is pretty inclusive of all of the H-body cars,<BR>it's on <A HREF="http://www.buickclub.org/Clubs/clubsother.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.buickclub.org/Clubs/clubsother.html</A> <BR>I don't know if they have a web site but the rest of the address is:<BR>H-SPECIAL REGISTRY (1975-1980 Skyhawk)<BR>PO Box 2653<BR>Mission Viejo, CA 92691<P>Roberta

Pontiac version was the Firenza and the Olds version was the Starfire. The only difference between all 4 versions was the grill and the engines. Chevy was the only one available with the V8.<P>Yeah, smart lookng cars and fun to drive. It is a shame there aren't more around. Those that are, most are cobbled up, tubbed, Chev BB stuffed in, etc........

Guest elk93001

I thought the Pontiac version was called the Sunbird.<P>Anyways, the standard trans was a 4 spd manual. optional was an automatic (3spd) and a 5 spd manual.<P>I think they offered the 2.5 (151 cu in) "Iron Duke" from Pontiac as a standard engine. My Buick shop manual for 1979 has this engine listed as being available for the H bodies in '79.

In 1979 Olds offered tbree versions of the Starfire: Starfire, Starfire GT and Firenza.<BR>The Firenza was a Starfire with spoilers and trick-ed up paint and decals. In the 80's <BR>the Firenza name replaced Starfire as it went to front-wheel-drive.<P>I'm still interested if there are any nice rust-free 1975-1979 Skyhawks V6's out there for sale. Thanks! <P>Steve<BR>Minneapolis

• 2 years later...

G'Day All

OK, here is some basic clarification for anyone interested...

1975-1980 GM H-Body cars were Chevrolet Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Oldsmobile Starfire and Pontiac Sunbird - special editions included Monza Spyder, Monza Mirage, Monza Sport, Monza Towne Coupe, Starfire SX, Starfire GT, Starfire Firenza, Buick Nighthawk, Buick Roadhawk, Buick Designers Accent Edition Skyhawk, Sunbird Formula, among others. They were all rear wheel drive and no turbo was ever offered in an H-Body.

All Buick Skyhawk's and the Buick special edition cars came with only the Buick 231 3.8L V6 engine (odd-fire and later, the even-fire). V8 engines in the other H-Bodies included - Chevrolet offered the 262 (75-76), 305 (76-79) and 350 (75 Cali) engines in the Monza, in 77 or 78 to 79 Pontiac offered the 305 as did Oldsmobile. V8's were discontinued in all H-Bodies for the 1980 model year.

Transmissions - standard equipment was the 4-speed Saginaw, an automatic (TH200, TH250, TH350) was an option as was a 5-speed Borg Warner.

Unfortunately the H07 Registry no longer exists but it has been replaced ...

http://www.v8monza.com and http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html

Both websites are outstanding resources for anyone looking for pics and info on the GM H-Body and the GM H-Body Registry.

• 19 years later...