1954 Century, 3 on the tree, 4 on the fenders

palbuick

Just got my 54 Century 2 dr ht. A little rough around the edges. But it is a factory 3 speed. And most unusual 4 port holes on the front fenders. A bare bones optioned car, no power steering no power braakes. It dose have a radio and heater, and that is it.

Would appreciate any information on production of this car, especially on the 4 port holes. I know the factory 3 speed is rare for the Century.

The body # is 1566. The paint colors are not original.

Will be needing some parts, bumper guards, window frames, trunk lid ornament,

hood letters,

Any help appreciated.

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

Jim, you're not supposed to be playing with a new toy.....you have to devote every waking moment of your life to getting your '40 convert. done!!! My memories of a '54 Buick Century, with 3-speed go back to high school. I had a 1948 Mercury Coupe that I dropped a '54 Century nailhead into. That engine came from a 3-speed car, any I transplanted everything into the Merc. As you say....very rare. This car ran smoothly and really flew. Most guys expected to be up against a flathead....not a nailhead. I remember looking and looking for a standard transmission flywheel, after frying the original unit in one too many Main Street Dubuque, Iowa drag races.

Hi John

Funny how we parallel each other.

Back in the late fifty's , my brother and I had a 40 Merc convt. we put a 55 Nailhead of the 322 c.I. size with a 3 speed into this car, even used the tourque tube rear end.

Surprised everyone who ever tried to run against it.

JIm Schilf

Jim,

I'm green with envy. What a rare car, with the stick shift and hubcaps even! I don't think your 4 portholes are a factory installation, though. Like Keith, I think they are in backwards, and the 4th one must have been added by someone who liked the look of the Roadmasters or the '55 Centurys, which have 4.

I've been told that the 3-speed gearbox is in 1 to 2 percent of these cars, so it is very rare. I've also heard that they are not the most durable units ever made (and I experienced this first-hand with a 3-speed '50 Special recently), so don't try any speed-shifting or rough stuff, if you know what I mean, because it will be a long search to find a replacement.

You probably have one of the fastest, quickest, and most responsive 1954 automobiles ever to come off of the assembly line that year. To find this in a two-door hardtop just makes it all the more desirable. Congratulations. If you ever want to sell it.....!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Mind what they say about taking care of that trans! I've got one in a '54 Special (ARE THESE THE SAME AS THOSE BEHIND THE 322? ANYBODY KNOW?). My pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft died, and took out the mainshaft of the transmission. I don't know if the trans can be repaired or not, but I do have a spare, luckily. First time I've ever bought a back-up part that didn't just sit on the shelf until I threw it away! The backup cost $125, and I was glad to pay it. And now I'm feeling real happy about it! I'll install a solid bronze bushing in place of the roller bearing next time. Pretty hard for the bronze one to fail so completely.

-Brad

I had a 54 Special 2 dr. ht with the 3 speed back in the early 60's. It was my every day driver. Went through 5 - 6 Transmissions. I could change transmissions in several hours, so I know about the special trans. The Century has a bigger trans, similuar to the early roadmaster series. I have a 37 Century

floor shifter and a 39 cad trans sitting in the garage, and have located another floor shifter.

Thanks for all the imput about this car.

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

Jim,

It appears that the 4th "ventiport" has been added in front of the original three. In the detail photo it appears just slightly misaligned. If I put my finger over it, everything looks right again. As others have noted, the "ports" were re-installed in reverse orientation so they look like air inlets rather than vents. Someone may have thought it looked cooler that way. It's a very interesting car--especially the 2-door HT configuration and manual trans. It seems that someone may have ordered it specifically as a high-performance alternative.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Just going from memory (I know, scary thought coming from me ), I believe the grille and bar are the same but the ends at either end of the bar are different lengths. The 50/70 series are 1-2 inches longer than the 40/60 series.