Help with potential Buick purchase

Giftman

Hi all-

Looking for some knowledge/opinions on what I consider to be a sharp and affordable car, a 90's Buick Park Avenue Ultra. I have just started to look around and see what is available...the wife will be taking over the new SUV and I will be trading/selling her current vehicle, as I will not drive it. I would like to stay in the 8k range, and figure I am looking at a mid 90's model, preferably with mileage under 75k. I like the looks, performance, options and styling....anyone have any opinions or personal experiences they would like to share? Supercharged? Problems to watch for? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Bob Thegift23@yahoo.com

-Okay, please insert the following instead on "the wife"

A. My wife

B. My significant Other

C. My Spouse

D. My partner in marriage

..who of course is very lovely, and I am lucky to have. Now, I priced new Park Avenue Ultra's and was surprised to see a 41k dealer invoice...although a most gorgeous car, I doubt my lovely wife would agree to taking on another payment. Anyone own a mid 90's version that would like to share some info with a newbie? Thanks again!

Guest greg72monte

I currently drive a 95 Park Avenue which I purchased new. It now has 83,000 trouble free miles, with the only somewhat major repair being a power steering pump. This is my second Park Avenue, with the previous one being an 85.

I would highly recommend it. It is comfortable, roomy, rattle free, and I would take it any day over my wife's minivan. My father, who now drives a 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis, and who previously had a 2000 PA Ultra, says my 9 year old Buick is more rattle free than his "new" Mercury.

Good luck in your search!

One more 95 Riv, superchg'd. endorsement here. Have had it a couple of years, searched for over a year for the right one. thus far have taken a Vette, and a Mustang 5.0. Very firm ride, and continually impresses those who think it is much newer. Just yesterday, a consultant was in the office, we "battled" over Iowa versus Iowa State, but shook hands over his 97 and my 95, "Supercharged?", "Yes", "It's an awesome car" (He was preaching to the choir...)

Dale

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to endorse a 95-99 Riviera. My 95 is a great car, but beware of the repair costs. I bought this car with 48K, 5 years ago, and have put around 1K into it every year since. Anti-lock brake computer, timing chain cover gasket, water pump, brakes, tires, rear shocks and this year the main processor. So you're wondering why I would endorse it? It is surely the sweetest ride I have ever owned. This car is like driving a dream. It just goes, and goes fast when pressed. It rides like glass but hugs corners like a sports car. It glides with minimal road noise and you can cruise with the moon roof open at 65 mph and talk to your friends in a normal voice volume. It gets compliments almost everywhere, but the insurance is not much more than the 93 Regal.

Every time I drive this car, I feel like a million bucks, and that is priceless to me.

Oh, by the way, It's supercharged, and I wouldn't want one without it, although if the tranny ever goes, I plan to put in the one from the unsupercharged model. 3.06 final drive ration vs the 2.97. The regal has the 3.06 and it screams off the line. Meanwhile it pulls 31 MPH on the highway. I'd like to feel that tranny with the supercharger.

96 PA Ultra here - Luv it - 118,000 miles - currently experiencing a smoke condition, but hope to have it resolved quickly. (See my other post). My Father i/law bought it new, and dealer serviced it til he bought his 2001. (Sold it to me for $1.) He used mine once while his was in for service, and wished he kept the 96, it was much more comfortable than the new one. My mechanic says maybe down the road you may get some body rot, but you'll have a hard time killing one of these, his borther has one with 260K miles and still going strong!! laugh.gif