For Sale: 1951 Chevrolet Sport Coupe - Project - $9,500 - Billings, MT - Not Mine

For Sale: 1951 Chevrolet Sport Coupe - Project - $9,500 - Billings, MT

1951 Chevy Coupe for sale by owner - Billings, MT - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1951 Chevrolet Coupe. Very original good running with 6-cylinder, 3-speed on column. See detailed photos for description.
Copy and paste in your email: 99ac6ad0048e32a181534222fdee9dbc@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1951 Chevrolet Sport Coupe - Project.

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT a.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT b.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT c.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT d.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT e.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT f.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT g.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT h.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT i.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT k.jpg

'51 Chevrolet Spt Cpe MT l.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Looks like a 1950. Late sale perhaps?

Years ago, some states registered or titled a car not by what model year the manufacturer specified but by the calendar year in which the transaction took place when it was sold.  Perhaps the local Chevrolet dealership had a few leftover 1950 models on the lot after New Year's Day, a frugal rancher decided it was time to trade his tired old 1941 Chevrolet for a new coupe at a good price.

7 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Years ago, some states registered or titled a car not by what model year the manufacturer specified but by the calendar year in which the transaction took place when it was sold.  

I remember looking at Jaguars with my Dad in December, about 1962.  The salesman said "in three weeks, these will all be 1963 models". He didn't think much of them, but knew I liked them. 

8 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I remember looking at Jaguars with my Dad in December, about 1962.  The salesman said "in three weeks, these will all be 1963 models". He didn't think much of them, but knew I liked them. 

Dealers liked it better when their inventory sold at or before the next years models were introduced.  Suddenly, still brand new but one-year-old models had to be discounted to move them off the lots, sometimes at little or no profit.  Arkport Motors Lincoln-Mercury still had a 1964 Mercury Comet 202 four door sedan deeply discount-priced in 1966 on its lot!  That salesman tried his best to sell my dad that Comet but he wouldn't bite.

The “sport coupe” meaning back seat is the continuation of prewar nomenclature.  
The postless hardtop began without a body style name.  The early hardtops were their own models 

Belair, Victoria, Newport, Holiday, etc. 

Only when low priced hardtops were introduced (around 1956) was there a need to reassign the sport coupe term. 
And by then the 3 passenger business “coupe” (actually they were all 2 door sedan bodies by then) was an obsolete loss leader.  

• Like 1