ELECTRONIC IGNITION 6 VOLT

In my younger and dumber days I participated in two EI conversions.   One was 6 to 12 to EI and the other was 12 to EI.   Eventually regretted both.   Your best shot at keeping the car running is to leave it stock.  The EI you install today will be obsolete in 20 years and no parts or info will be available.  Cars that stayed with the cap/points will still be running.

Plus a bunch of other down sided not even mentioned.  I agree.....keep the points. Buy a spare distributor if you're that concerned. It can be installed in five minutes. 

• Like 3

Pertronix might have a kit. They make them for 6 volts cars like the Model A and 1926 back 12 volt Dodge Brothers. It's magnetic so could be 6 or 12 volts depending on the coil. Here is the contact info if you want to ask: Need to talk? | Technical Advice & Enthusiast Guidance – Pertronix (pertronixbrands.com)

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

I have fitted the Fast ignition to all my vintage cars. It’s simple,  easy to fit and I also have it in my old forklift. It’s been in there for 14 years. It’s never given a second of trouble and definitely makes the car start and run better. I know I’ll get smashed for saying all this but it works. 😉

IMG_7616.jpeg

IMG_7617.jpeg

IMG_7505.jpeg

IMG_7506.jpeg

54 minutes ago, gundog99 said:

What is the correct  gauge the HT leads need to be for a 6V system?

I think 7mm is the usual O.D.  Don't use resitor wire.  

Meyers has your kit for $21.50

myersearlydodge.com/image.php?ws_page=ignition.php&ws_image=DSCN0894.JPG

I haven't found that type of distibutor cap/coil terminals to stay on very well unless the conductor is poked through the end and soldered.

I like points, condenser and a coil just fine.

condenser troubles.jpg