1933 Essex Terraplane KT8 - $7,500

Might be good at a lower price if you had specific Terraplane knowledge.  (more pics in ad)  

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/discovery-bay-1933-essex-terraplane-kt8/7787155363.html

This is the fastest production car built in 1933. As a matter fact, it is the car that John Dillinger used to love to steal to ply his trade. This particular model has four suicide doors, flathead eight, running boards and dual spares with covers. This car is entirely intact with no missing pieces. Even the hand crank and the tool kit are present. This is a barn find out of Sutter County. We also have the top kit as these cars came with a soft top stock. It is in original condition. And save my starting the engine and driving it around the block the car hasn’t run since 1947. We have done the radiator, the carburetor, the brakes and the fuel tank. We have removed the engine, disassembled it and identified the areas in need of repair in order to rebuild it. My intention was to keep the car in its original condition and drive it like this. I have several cars and will not be getting to this one unless it doesn’t sell. The car is located in Discovery Bay. The engine is disassembled, wrapped, palletized and is at my shop in Isleton.

email:   d414b31b03703731b330b8a91b3ea407@sale.craigslist.org

1933 Essex Terraplane KT8 100p0p_6EFAQon7RM1_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00b0b_4G7s8c2QZvK_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00f0f_gVlQNwxByrM_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00e0e_hua8qH3o9oy_0t20CI_600x450.jpg01212_cOis172hKcM_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 7

"Fastest Production Car built in 1933"?    If I recall,  they were still building Model J Duesenbergs, which were probably as fast in 2nd gear.   Not to mention the Auburn V12 and Stutz DV32.   Those are just the American cars.

So forgetting about the hyperbole,  I think it is cool.

• Haha 3

The 1933 Essex-Terraplane 8 , Model KT, did have the highest horsepower to weight ratio of any American built car.  That makes it the fastest ACCELERATING car, bar none.    The front bumper on this car is wrong;  correct bumper being a center-dipped stamping, and very hard to find but it can be done.

I bought a near identical sedan as a parts car when I restored a convertible coupe.  Picture attached to show you the proper front bumper.   Photo credit (particularly for you long time So. Californians) by Bobbie'dine Rodda.  

BurbankLutheranBestofShow.jpg

• Like 2

My recollection may be faulty, here, but I believe that Dillinger actually bought a '33 Terraplane 8 at one point. I suppose that it's a possibility as they were certainly more scarce than a Ford V8. Also, I imagine that he was flush with cash from time to time.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, roysboystoys said:

Do they have the front and rear bumpers in the wrong place?

The rear one looks like it has the dip for the ceank.

The factory rear bumper has a minor dip and looks correct on the car on offer.

The factory front has a major dip like the one shown on my convertible coupe.

For the overly technically minded:  There were two front bumpers during the production year.  Both have the same dip.  One had vertically square wrap around mounting.  Second had the angle wrap arounds as shown on my car.   If a buyer finds either one, be very very happy.

• Like 1

Just a comment that the front bumper on the red "Dillinger" Terraplane (which is historically documented as true) appears to be from a 1934 Hudson.  Its a thicker (top to bottom), very deeply dipped bumper.  Usual problem:  whomever did the restoration on the car could not find a '33 Terraplane front bumper at the time.

The Dillinger car restoration is NOT highly authentic.  Nuff said.