Local car show, EV Cord.

We are all on the same page….

I was never a Dodge guy.

I now have had 3 Laramie Hemi full 4 door 1500 since my 2006 Lincoln LT .

V8 , Hemi, all leather and get almost 500 miles to a tank!!

All that for 534 dollars a month lease

Its a lot better than the 100 grand for the Lightning truck

It’s a novelty , we have along way to go.

You like electric God Bless you but once you try it, most dump it very very fast

Ive joined that club

Gtjoey1314

19 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I still think a truck should be setup like a locomotive. A small efficient diesel driving a genset with electric wheel motors. Pull anything and be efficient. 

That is how the Chevy Volt was setup, but with a gas engine.

Chevy killed it a few years ago.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I still think a truck should be setup like a locomotive. A small efficient diesel driving a genset with electric wheel motors. Pull anything and be efficient. 

Not really done for outright efficency. This arrangement lets the prime mover run at its optimum RPM, and the drive motors produce at a much lower RPM without the use of a reduction gear box. But there are lots of energy losses. Mechanical and thermal.  

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hmm, you guys need to look up Owen Magnetic! Now that is more of the engine driving a generator and then through controls drive an electric motor. 1915 technology too!👍

Extremely rare. Jay Leno has one and I know of two in Virginia, not on the road. I would love to have had one, but I could never get that family to part with them. 

• Like 1

A device with windings that makes motive power from an electric current is an electric motor. 😉

When I was an Engineering student the schematic of an Owen Magnetic was in one of the reference books in the library. Very interesting!👍

I shall quote Wikipedia, who quoted Harry B. Lent:

The drive mechanism had no direct connection between the engine and the rear wheels. Instead of a flywheel, a generator and a horseshoe shaped magnet were attached to the rear of the engine's crank shaft. On the forward end of the car's drive shaft, was an electric motor with an armature fitted into an air space inside the whirling magnet. Electric current, transmitted by the engine's generator and magnet attached to the armature of the electrical motor, providing the energy to turn the drive shaft and propel the engine's rear wheels. Speed for the car was controlled by a small lever adjacent to the steering wheel.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1