For Sale: 1925 Studebaker Standard Six Duplex Phaeton - $14,500 - Winlock, WA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1925 Studebaker Standard Six Duplex Phaeton - $14,500 - Winlock, WA

1925 Studebaker Phaeton Big 6 for sale by owner - Winlock, WA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1925 Studebaker Standard Six Duplex Phaeton. Beautiful car. odometer: 20,000.
Copy and paste in your email: 456906a9348b3e899adaa275c5d1655d@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1925 Studebaker Standard Six Duplex Phaeton.

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA a.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA b.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA c.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA d.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA e.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA f.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA g.jpg

'25 Studebaker Phaeton WA h.jpg

• Like 4

That looks like something that won’t last long. Some statements about how it runs and engine shots would be helpful, but the pictures make it attractive enough to have a serious buyer calling to learn more. Standard or big six?

44 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

"Standard or Big Six?"

John:

Studebaker thoughtfully gave each series a distinct radiator style for 1925-'26, this for the Standard Six Model ER.   At 3 3/8 X 4 1/2 Bore & Stroke its 241.6 ci, 50hp. considered an appropriate size for a medium-priced car.  The next step up was the Special Six Model EQ, 3 1/2 X 5 Bore & Stroke its 288.6 ci, 65hp., interestingly cu. in. parity with the concurrent Packard Single Six, outsized the Buick Master Six 255 ci.  The Big Six Model EP, 3 7/8 X 5 Bore & Stroke, its 353.8 ci, 75hp. which outsized such makes at the Cadillac V8 at 314 ci, nearly Lincoln V8 and Packard Single Eight at 357.8 ci.  Studebaker built a specially equipped Big Six Duplex Phaeton with four-wheel brakes for law enforcement known as "The Sheriff". Prohibition rumrunners didn't want to see a Big Six Sheriff phaeton looming in their rearview mirror.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

John:

Studebaker thoughtfully gave each series a distinct radiator style for 1925-'26, this for the Standard Six Model ER.   At 3 3/8 X 4 1/2 Bore & Stroke its 241.6 ci, 50hp. considered an appropriate size for a medium-priced car.  The next step up was the Special Six Model EQ, 3 1/2 X 5 Bore & Stroke its 288.6 ci, 65hp., interestingly cu. in. parity with the concurrent Packard Single Six, outsized the Buick Master Six 255 ci.  The Big Six Model EP, 3 7/8 X 5 Bore & Stroke, its 353.8 ci, 75hp. which outsized such makes at the Cadillac V8 at 314 ci, nearly Lincoln V8 and Packard Single Eight at 357.8 ci.  Studebaker built a specially equipped Big Six Duplex Phaeton with four-wheel brakes for law enforcement known as "The Sheriff". Prohibition rumrunners didn't want to see a Big Six Sheriff phaeton looming in their rearview mirror.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I knew the big six had a displacement that rivaled some of the high-end independent marque, large power plants of that era.  Let’s go Hoosiers!

Besides Studebaker, with this Duplex Phaeton, what are other cars with production bodies using California top?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRA said:

Besides Studebaker, with this Duplex Phaeton, what are other cars with production bodies using California top?

If the term 'California Top' can be used to describe an open touring body without framed enclosures for body sides and door openings but with a non-folding stationary top, a number of carmakers offered this type of body choice plus they were available from a number of aftermarket suppliers. One that comes to mind is Franklin Series 9 and 10 in their Demi-Sedan and Demi-Coupe.  The configuration was an interim step from fully open tourings to closed sedans while the latter was still significantly more expensive on the same chassis.  Short of fully framed doors and windows, no one loved dealing with the cumbersome side curtains when weather conditions demanded their use.   Only in a consistently milder climate could a 'California Top' find widespread acceptance, Even Studebaker abandoned the style after a few seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

, no one loved dealing with the cumbersome side curtains

Makes me think a competition at a friendly car meet of old cars (like the slow races and the teeter totter) should include "weatherproofing" as a category.

OK, come to a stop at this point, and put on all your side curtains, then hop in and drive to this point!

Years ago, caught in a sudden Louisiana afternoon rainstorm in the Pierce phaeton, we did just that, as she got her fingers caught in top mechanism and tried to sort out the side curtains for me to install.

Wonderful woman, she still married me, and has been my companion for over 35 years (I married well, but late!).

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Makes me think a competition at a friendly car meet of old cars (like the slow races and the teeter totter) should include "weatherproofing" as a category.

OK, come to a stop at this point, and put on all your side curtains, then hop in and drive to this point!

Years ago, caught in a sudden Louisiana afternoon rainstorm in the Pierce phaeton, we did just that, as she got her fingers caught in top mechanism and tried to sort out the side curtains for me to install.

Wonderful woman, she still married me, and has been my companion for over 35 years (I married well, but late!).

Indeed, you did marry well if late!  One suspects that those with open tourings who were caught in sudden downpours years ago got sick of fooling with those miserable side curtains very quickly after a few bouts getting soaking wet.   Rain and wind at the leisurely pace produced by horsedrawn transport lost its romantic appeal at 20-30 mph especially for those in the rear seat.  More than one fellow gladly traded in his open touring for an Essex sedan as soon as those reached price parity with a touring.  

• Like 1

Driving a touring or a roadster during rain storms is a nice way to experience the hobby.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JRA said:

Driving a touring or a roadster during rain storms is a nice way to experience the hobby.

Great comment. To expand upon it a little: Add British roadsters.

I had a 1959 MGA  (in 1968). It had side curtains that lifted in the wind and let the rain in. Most girls could handle that and passed the first test.

However,  the front end of the rear fenders had rusted through. This let water into the interior and allowed water into the seat cushions - which were red leather covered with foam rubber. This led to pink wet bottoms. This was an easy way to sort out the dabblers from the girls who would really last. I have to admit, I had to wait until the next car to find the one who would really last.

But I have raised the bar: I bought a Morgan. Those of you who know Morgans know that their idea or rain protection is to wear a raincoat - inside the car or out.

It's a little over a half a century and I am on my third Morgan but she is still with me. (And still thinks I'm nuts.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRA said:

Yes, it is, but only if you are close to the windshield, not in the tonneau or rumble seat and there is a crosswind.

• Like 1

I tell people that if caught in a rainstorm with the Pierce phaeton, top, but no side curtains, up, each person needs two towels.

Put the side curtains on, each person only needs one towel!

Yes, an open car in the rain, you’ll get wet, but think how wet you’d be on the back of a horse.

• Haha 5