1958 Rambler American Super - $6,500

No interior pics, which could make all the difference. Pretty optimistic anyway...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-1958-rambler-american/7770628961.html

Excellent body. Parked since 1989, motor is frozen. Car has factory continental kit.  (415) 286-6747

1958 Rambler American Super 100X0X_6pEp9F4FDcu_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00f0f_gSgiqwoReOA_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00N0N_b65jIbNieKK_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like this style Rambler, and the connie kit makes it look less stubby.

Agree, pretty steep for a non-runner, but I bet it could be made to run for not much. 

Dead cars: I make the assumption that everything mechanical is bad. It's a Pig-in-a-poke for the buyer, no matter what the seller claims. I tell the sellers that, in negotiations to bring them down to earth. Sometimes they listen. Often, they don't.

"But it ran good 4 years ago" one heir to a car in an estate claimed (a couple of year ago) and refused to bring down the price. We had driven several states away to see this car- and they were aware of this.

They had pushed it out of a garage, didn't even attempt to start it. Dead battery and 4 year old gas. Asked them if they could start it, they looked bewildered and said "No.

It was a small town with no services, no way to find a 6V battery.

The price was full book for a nicely running car.

Emotional baggage, and what "dad" said it was worth decades back had them locked into an imaginary worth. This was on a decent car, but a fairly cold piece with a 40 year old restoration.

A more than fair offer was presented;  I repeat, more than fair, not a lowball, which was met with derision. They knew the value of "dads" car! Gently reminded them that we had no way of knowing if and how it ran. Hidebound, they stuck to their high price.
We walked away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Which kind of "frozen"?

Does it freeze in SF?

Definitely not! And locals start to keel over when it hits 80, because they don't know how to remove their sweaters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the detailed pics of the motor and interior....not.

They must have run out of film with their 50-year-old Brownie camera.

Idiots...they are everywhere...living next to you, creeping about in the night, and selling cars that do not run.

Edited by marty14 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I like these cars. One of the very few cars that I would leave the cont. kit on. If the rest of the car is as nice as the exterior looks I might be tempted to take a chance on the engine. These flatheads seem to handle being stuck better than others. Easy and simple to work on. 

• Like 3