1932 KB Town Sedan

I’m starting this thread to help Roy (owner) out to research the history and info on his new purchase.  He will pop in when he gets a chance.  

The car.   Delivered Friday evening from California.  Overall, great running shape, needs the water pump tightened up a bit to stop the slight leak, needs a new fan belt, and clutch adjusted.  
IMG_3732.jpeg.0affb7b7aa35c8635fc5a5b794db70d6.jpeg

Info available from Hemings from the ad.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1932-lincoln-kb-gold-river-ca-317838/sold

What he’s looking to do is do a bit by bit restore on it but keep it a driver.  Many items need to be rechromed and paint redone.  This was the car I asked about in another thread today about the wheels as they’re red under the caps.  He was wondering if it may have been red originally and repainted.  Some of the wear through on the paint, you can see some red, but not sure what primer was used then, if any.  

Engine block number matches the body so that’s good.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AURktman said:

I’m starting this thread to help Roy (owner) out to research the history and info on his new purchase.  He will pop in when he gets a chance.  

The car.   Delivered Friday evening from California.  Overall, great running shape, needs the water pump tightened up a bit to stop the slight leak, needs a new fan belt, and clutch adjusted.  
IMG_3732.jpeg.0affb7b7aa35c8635fc5a5b794db70d6.jpeg

Info available from Hemings from the ad.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1932-lincoln-kb-gold-river-ca-317838/sold

What he’s looking to do is do a bit by bit restore on it but keep it a driver.  Many items need to be rechromed and paint redone.  This was the car I asked about in another thread today about the wheels as they’re red under the caps.  He was wondering if it may have been red originally and repainted.  Some of the wear through on the paint, you can see some red, but not sure what primer was used then, if any.  

Engine block number matches the body so that’s good.  

Wow; what a car!  I love the the 32 to 34 Lincolns and especially the KB.  What a time capsule!  I hope he doesn’t change it cosmetically except to shine it up a bit.

9 hours ago, kar3516 said:

Wow; what a car!  I love the the 32 to 34 Lincolns and especially the KB.  What a time capsule!  I hope he doesn’t change it cosmetically except to shine it up a bit.

He’s pretty convinced it was originally red with black fenders.  It’s been repainted in the early 60’s and I think he prefers the red.  We will do a polish on the faded paint for certain, but it’s starting to crack and peel in some spots.  It’s really thick paint under the windshield.   

It does have a slight miss when it first starts, but goes away when warmed up.   One thing it does need is new tires.  Those are easily 40 years old and time for a fresh set. 

The body/engine is KB907. Are there archives where we can find the original sales info?  

More photos. The water pump is a bit leaky but looks like a standard Ford design of the era. I will tighten up the nut, but is there a leakless kit made similar to the one for the Model A Ford?  I have one of those leakless A kits, I may see if one could be adapted if not. I know he’s more interested in it being a reliable driver that looks good than a 1000 point restoration. 

it does have a complete luggage kit.  It’s not original to the car, but it’s there.  Would love to find the history on the luggage.   Initials embossed are J. E. C. 

IMG_3728.jpeg.2fa3255836b75ee3808be1919b10f167.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg.238a5e158631de726b62a9c9f25eb407.jpeg

IMG_3735.jpeg.96366c9347cc6a96e2b49347d61c6757.jpeg

1 minute ago, AURktman said:

He’s pretty convinced it was originally red with black fenders.  It’s been repainted in the early 60’s and I think he prefers the red.  We will do a polish on the faded paint for certain, but it’s starting to crack and peel in some spots.  It’s really thick paint under the windshield.   

It does have a slight miss when it first starts, but goes away when warmed up.   One thing it does need is new tires.  Those are easily 40 years old and time for a fresh set. 

The body/engine is KB907. Are there archives where we can find the original sales info?  

My understanding is that the Henry Ford Museum archives at Dearborn can provide a “Lincoln Automobile Record” including limited original build information including body, trim and interior colors based on the body serial number.  I recommend that you contact them directly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AURktman said:

Thanks!  Will get that done ASAP!

If you get it please post the original body color.  I don’t have a 1932 Lincoln paint chip sample card but by 1934 the colors offered were extremely dark and/or muted as no one wanted to flaunt an expensive car during the depths of the depression.  Hopefully someone will reply with a 1932 paint chip sample card; I’m curious to know if a red color was offered.  The 1934 paint chip sample card is attached.

IMG_2965.jpeg.84afa0d74cbe9aa8b7514cdda5433f70.jpeg

Please don't let him paint it red. It wasn't red when it was new, I guarantee it. It might have been dark maroon, but that's as close to red as it would have been. A dark, subtle color would be correct. Bright colors were frowned upon given the circumstances of 1932.

• Like 3

If he does change the color, it would be to what the factory color.  I think the fenders were black and it does look like the respray has flaked off the original.  We will do an oxidation removal and light polish to see what hides beneath. 

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Please don't let him paint it red. It wasn't red when it was new, I guarantee it. It might have been dark maroon, but that's as close to red as it would have been. A dark, subtle color would be correct. Bright colors were frowned upon given the circumstances of 1932.

Thank you @Matt Harwood for chiming in.  The current paint scheme looks very typical for the time.  I’m interested to know if he sees red paint underneath or just primer.  With the rest of the car so original it would surprise me if he finds a bright red coat of paint underneath.  I’m betting on the deep maroon or something close if it is in the “red” color spectrum

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What color was the primer used from the factory?  If it was repainted in the early 60's, I'm pretty sure they used a red oxide primer.  From where I can see paint flaked off the body, I can't see anything red except for possibly red primer. 

image.jpeg.e81d6bb148b5da6c5ac9c0d907fce05e.jpegimage.jpeg.a92b0536b016b7604f198375b0576395.jpeg

Edited by AURktman (see edit history)

22 hours ago, AURktman said:

First,  painting that car is an incredibly bad idea.    Second, painting that car red would be a crime.    Focus on making it usable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AURktman said:

What color was the primer used from the factory?  If it was repainted in the early 60's, I'm pretty sure they used a red oxide primer.  From where I can see paint flaked off the body, I can't see anything red except for possibly red primer. 

image.jpeg.e81d6bb148b5da6c5ac9c0d907fce05e.jpegimage.jpeg.a92b0536b016b7604f198375b0576395.jpeg

I know someone who can tell me exactly what primer would have been original to a 1932 Lincoln.  I’ll find out and report back

It would have had red oxide lead primer, or white lead primer. Depends on the coach builder. I wouldn't paint that car, it's 50 times the work than most people realize. Clean it up and enjoy it. Don't over tighten the water pump packing. I would recommend going through the fuel, coolant, and ignition systems. Check and lubricate EVERYTHING. It's a lot of work sorting a car like that to reliable transportation. Lots of work, and money. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, kar3516 said:

I know someone who can tell me exactly what primer would have been original to a 1932 Lincoln.  I’ll find out and report back

I’m told that his 1934 Lincoln with factory original paint was definitely red oxide primer.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kar3516 said:

I’m told that his 1934 Lincoln with factory original paint was definitely red oxide primer.  

Depends on the coach builder. Brunn would have been white. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Depends on the coach builder. Brunn would have been white. 

What is the way to determine which coachbuilder did the body? 

On 7/23/2024 at 9:13 AM, edinmass said:

It would have had red oxide lead primer, or white lead primer. Depends on the coach builder. I wouldn't paint that car, it's 50 times the work than most people realize. Clean it up and enjoy it. Don't over tighten the water pump packing. I would recommend going through the fuel, coolant, and ignition systems. Check and lubricate EVERYTHING. It's a lot of work sorting a car like that to reliable transportation. Lots of work, and money. 

It’s actually a good driver at this point.  And suggestions on what would cause a slight miss on the ignition when cold but go away when warmed up?  I think the plan now might be to get a new set of tires, lube it at all the lube points, and go put 50 miles on it to get all the grease and lube moving. 

Thoughts?

Waldron made my 1937 Lincoln K muffler.  56.5" long plus 2.75" diameter inlet and 2.25" outlet pipes extending out 4".  5.75" diameter.  

IMG_3732.jpeg

• Like 3

Since this is not a Pebble Beach car (and likely never will be), would it make sense to get the exhaust in stainless?  It’s quite humid here in Alabama.  So bad in the summer that you can go fishing and the fish won’t die out of the water.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AURktman said:

Since this is not a Pebble Beach car (and likely never will be), would it make sense to get the exhaust in stainless?  It’s quite humid here in Alabama.  So bad in the summer that you can go fishing and the fish won’t die out of the water.  

As long as every drive is long enough to cook all of the condensed water out of the exhaust system I’m betting the carbon steel is fine.  All on the assumption it is stored inside with some climate control.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kar3516 said:

As long as every drive is long enough to cook all of the condensed water out of the exhaust system I’m betting the carbon steel is fine.  All on the assumption it is stored inside with some climate control.  

He does have a dehumidifier, but that’s not always effective in these parts.  Just the evaporator coils from our house AC will condense 5 gallons of water a day in the summer.  

19 minutes ago, AURktman said:

He does have a dehumidifier, but that’s not always effective in these parts.  Just the evaporator coils from our house AC will condense 5 gallons of water a day in the summer.  

I’m in the business of used gas compressor packages for the oil and gas industry.  We once were on a location in southwest Louisiana where there were three 5000 hp Cat G3616LE V16 engines with vertical 8’ diameter silencers and a pair of 24” diameter exhaust pipes connecting from the engine to the silencer.  When we disconnected the exhaust pipes there was approximately 200 gallons of water in each pipe.  Fortunately they sloped slightly downhill towards the silencer inlet…humid air carries a lot of water 

• Like 1

I had a 100 gallon Champion air compressor at my old job that hadn’t been drained for years.  I dumped 50 gallons of water out of that tank.  I grew up in AZ where it was dry. Upholstery and rubber didn’t stand a chance, but virtually zero rust.  Both of Roy’s cars came from California, they’re going to seen some constant care to keep from rusting.  

• 3 weeks later...

What a nice car!!

From the photos posted, it looks to me like the car has original paint. You can check the underside of the floor for sign of the original color. Another place to check is under the window moldings. Patina has a value to it especially on an old Classic, so If it were my car, I would try to preserve the patina with Meguier's Show Car Glaze followed by their yellow wax. I would not sand or use a paint polish on it. The Show Car Glaze will help stabilize the old paint and the wax will protect the paint from the air pollution.