1924 Buick Model 35 Locking Washer Needed

On a tour with the HCCA this week.  Yesterday, when I made a right turn, I heard a loud thumping from the right rear wheel, so I immediately pulled over and found the right rear wheel, still on the axle but had moved out about 4".  Jacked up the car and the wheel fell off.  The wheel nut had unscrewed from the axle.  There was no locking washer to hold the nut in place.  So, I need a locking washer.  So far, I have searched the common sites, Bob,s Lang's, Restoration, etc.   So I need a source and even the proper name.  I am including 2 photos, one from the parts book and one of the washer still on the left side (which also needs to be replaced).

Thanks in advance.

Wilson

1924 Buick 24-4-35

PXL_20240717_213154364.MP1.jpg

PXL_20240718_004959784.jpg

Often called a tab washer. Your local bearing supply should have them in a range of sizes. They will probably be in metric sizes but the closest one that will go over the threads should be fine. They do not move when installed so no worry.

If you don't find what you need, contact me.

tab washers.JPG

tab washers lock star.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

001 email address.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, raydurr said:

What is the ID needed? and do not have access to the car now. 

I am on a tour and do not have access to the car right now.  I'll be back with it over the weekend.

4 hours ago, Layden B said:

Often called a tab washer. Your local bearing supply should have them in a range of sizes. They will probably be in metric sizes but the closest one that will go over the threads should be fine. They do not move when installed so no worry.

If you don't find what you need, contact me.

Thanks Lynden.

Had not thought about a bearing supply store.  I wonder it Granger would have them?  There is one close to home so I'll check.

42 minutes ago, wilson24 said:

Thanks Lynden.

Had not thought about a bearing supply store.  I wonder it Granger would have them?  There is one close to home so I'll check.

Here ya go.

https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/washers/lock-washers?filters=webParentSkuKey&searchQuery=tabed+lock+washer&webParentSkuKey=WP14070110&sst=4&tv_optin=true

• Like 1

Wilson:

I had some of these made up for my 1925 Standard application.  I will get 2 in the mail for you. They are called out in the 1929 Master Parts book as # 61090 Pinion Shaft Washer   D-E-1922-1923-1924 4-cy. 1925 Std.6- used as main shaft lock washer. There is some variation as what I had made up but they will work. When replacing the wheel on the taper check for a good fit. Also make sure the keway and key fit tight. I have had to use sheet metal shims on mine.

Tabwasherscan..jpg.569bf6a6fa1a29d0848d75f5a657c34f.jpg

DSCF1393.JPG.42a0d44a3598b3992d28126cea4a5bbc.JPGBefore a long tour I still have to retighten the axle nut.  At least you did not need a puller.....

DSCF1335.JPG.76d2524f82a358deee7c7c6f6d005229.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Wilson:

I had some of these made up for my 1925 Standard application.  I will get 2 in the mail for you. They are called out in the 1929 Master Parts book as # 61090 Pinion Shaft Washer   D-E-1922-1923-1924 4-cy. 1925 Std.6- used as main shaft lock washer. There is some variation as what I had made up but they will work. When replacing the wheel on the taper check for a good fit. Also make sure the keway and key fit tight. I have had to use sheet metal shims on mine.

Before a long tour I still have to retighten the axle nut.  At least you did not need a puller.....

Thanks Larry!  Send me a bill along with the washers.

Wilson

Wilson:

I found your address. The washers were mailed yesterday.

I had to get 40 made to get them down to $6.00 each. Most of what has gone went to Europe. Germany and England. But I think I have about 8 left.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2024 at 11:24 AM, dibarlaw said:

Wilson:

I found your address. The washers were mailed yesterday.

I had to get 40 made to get them down to $6.00 each. Most of what has gone went to Europe. Germany and England. But I think I have about 8 left.

Larry,

I got them on and they fit perfect, no shims needed.  I would like to get 2 more for spares.  So that would be $12 more plus postage of $.74 x 2 = $1.48 total postage.  So, will owe you $25.48 for 2 sets and postage.  Would you like a check, PayPal or credit card?

Wilson

Wilson:

I only have 3 left. Lou with the 1923 4 cylinder got 2 also sent when I made his water pump packing nuts. I checked and now down to 3. That is 2 left for me and 1 I need to send to the gentleman who made them up. If he will still do them for me. The last time I had to get 40 done to just break even.

18 hours ago, wilson24 said:

I would like to get 2 more for spares. 

The ones you have should last a long while if you're just bending one or maybe two tabs at a time.  Even if one breaks off, there are 10 more remaining...

• Like 1