Confused on 1941 Buick Model 50

Today I helped a neighbor with his 41 Buick with an oil change and lube. Not being familiar with Buicks, I consulted a Motor's manual from the period to see what the engine capacities were. The body tag under the hood stated Model 51 and, according to the Motor's, should have an oil capacity of 6 quarts. Since he has a canister oil filter, I added one more for a total of 7. His dipstick had info on it that it is: 41, Model 40 & 50, Low -- 2 quarts -- Full. With me so far?? After draining the oil and changing the filter cartridge, I proceeded to add 6 quarts. The neighbor stated the prior owner told him it took 8 quarts plus the filter. The Motor's stated 8 quarts was on the Model 60, not the Model 50. After adding 6 quarts, I checked the dipstick and no oil appeared. Added another quart, oil just started to appear. Added more oil for a total of 8 quarts and the dipstick showed 'Full'. Any idea why this puppy would show Full at 8 quarts when Motor's said it should only take 6?

Side note: engine has recently been rebuilt and bored .040 over, but that has nothing to do with oil capacity...

Frank

I am going to change the oil in my 41 Special tomorrow. They have the same 248 engine. I put in 7 qts when I change the filter and 6 when I do not. I have been doing this for 18 years. Do you have the correct dipstick? I seem to recall seeing another question on this years ago. 

• Like 1

My '38 Century (320 CID) with no filter does require 8 quarts to reach 'FULL' on the dipstick.  The 'ADD' mark requires 3 quarts to get back to 'FULL'.

• Like 1

Could the "stop" on the dipstick have moved so that the stick isn't fully extended into the oil pan?  If you like, I can measure the length of the dipstick on my car and let you know.

• Like 1

I thought of this, but that would mean the stop on the dipstick would have to be closer to the tip. A measure would help, thanks.

Frank

Having looked at my dipstick and refreshed my memory about how it's constructed, I can see that my theory about the moving stop is a long shot.  But here are two pics to confirm that my Super has the same dipstick and to show the length (12 inches from stop to tip).  Your situation seems like a mystery to me.  I'm trying to figure out where that oil is going to?

Dipstick2.jpg.f8741a0b4c26f2e09c1b320fe4563091.jpg

Dipstick.jpg.1fc929889c0af82077853771a7669a59.jpg

• Like 1

Could the pan have been changed for one from a different year or model?  If the dipstick is identical to Neil's, then that seems to imply the pan must either be deeper or the sump area is longer than the one on Neil's car...

My thoughts exactly. I was told that the engine was rebuilt prior to his purchase and bored out to .040 over. Maybe new pan was in order...

Frank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I wonder!  Possibly a 1938-1939 engine?    Oil dip dip stick was moved in 1940 to a lower position.  I wonder what the length of a 1939 dip stick measures.

Ben

That is another good theory. The engine number would be able to identify the year of the engine.  @oldford What is the engine number?

The car is across town, so I'll have to ask the owner. Where is the engine number on this puppy? He may not know where it is, either. He has only had the car a short time.

Frank

1 hour ago, oldford said:

The car is across town, so I'll have to ask the owner. Where is the engine number on this puppy? He may not know where it is, either. He has only had the car a short time.

Frank

Should be just in front of the distributor stamped on on a machined surface.

Ben