1929 Buick Series 116 Model 29-26 Cracked Head

Temme

I recently purchased a 1929 Buick Business Coupe when going through the vehicle I discovered that the car has a badly cracked head that has been welded and still leaking antifreeze. So I am in need for a used head for this Buick any information would be appreciated. I'm attaching a photo of my 1929 Buick I want to keep it original if possible, it is to pretty of a car to give up on.

1929 Buick.jpg

• Like 2

Where are you Located, check out the 29 club . When I get home later I’ll check the newsletter and see if anyone is selling spare motors 

I live west of St.Louis. Good News one of the contacts Mr. McLaughlin gave me called today and told me he has the head I need for my Buick.  Thanks so much for your response.

• Like 1

Oh I’m glad ! That’s good news to keep the beautiful car running . I also have a 29 , I want a coupe next 

When you get a chance post more of your car I would love to see more pics 

• Like 2

I was asked to post some more photos of my 1929 Buick Business Coupe Series 116 Model 29-26.

Purchased this car last fall was hoping to have some fun this summer going to some car shows but as nice as it looks I found some maintenance issues that needs to be fixed first. Maybe this fall or next year for sure. 

Thanks for all the help!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

1929 Buick.jpg

• Like 13

Nice car. Do a valve job and guides on the replacement head before you pull your old one off. Have a gasket kit handy also. Don’t knurl the guides…..it will smoke. Best of luck.

Tom Beautiful four door sedan! 

Edinmass thanks for the information I will follow your advice. First time I've ever replace a head on a vehicle before, plan on taking my time and learn in the process.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

If you need any additional help, send me a PM with your phone number and I’ll give you a call and can walk you through it

It’s really a simple head to do

The worst thing is picking it up over the fender

I’m a big fan of finding a different head and rebuilding it so you can swap the head in one day it’s very easy to do

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Wanted to give a update with my 1929 Buick. I was lucky to find a replacement head for my Buick. Big thank to Bill McLaughlin for the contact information, which lead me to Tony and Joyce Bult. Thanks to Joyce and Tony Bult for their hospitality showing the wife and I around their shop, Tony's projects in which he restoring a 25 Buick Sedan, and a 25 Buick Speedster. 

Anyway I'm off the the shop tomorrow to have the Head reworked.   

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

More trouble with the Buick! Checked the replacement head it is flat the block is flat amazingly with what I found under the exhaust and intake manifold a big welded crack in the water jacket that is still leaking plus three other cracks in the water jacket. I will include photo's. I have pined three of the cracks in the water jacket but the welded area is too hard to drill. Researching on the web I ordered a Belzona 9111 repair kit, question has anyone had experience with this product? Any Suggestions?

pin 2.jpg

welded area.jpg

pin 1.jpg

Edited by Temme
grammar (see edit history)

I wouldn’t use the Belzona…………sorry for all your troubles. With stitching all the other cracks and a good used head, you may be lucky and have the weld hold. Another possibility is to just assemble the engine with the new head and gasket and pressure test it before you proceed. Remember you system is open vented so when running there is no pressure on the block…………if it’s seeping it will probably be fine. Many small cracks and flaws will often close up from rust over time. So running with just stright water and no additional additives may be an option over repairing or replacing the block. While not a professional or quality repair you may be able to get away with it.

• Like 4

From the stains on the painted block I would say it is leaking some water you can see the staining to the left side of the weld and I magna- fluxed the weld and you can see the crack line just below the weld on the left side. One positive is when I drained the oil I found no water. I will include photos of the welded area. Thanks for your input !

welded area.jpg

weld area.jpg

• Like 1

I recommend another block…….or remove the one from the crankcase and have the weld cut out and then stitched back in place. Unfortunately, the never, ever weld cast iron rule is broken by way too many people with little to no experience. Until recently there was a stitcher who could easily fix that weld repair by unfortunately he passed recently and I am not familiar with anyone who I would trust that repair to…….

• Like 4

I agree with Ed about pulling the cylinder section.  If you can find a competent welding shop, they can fix the crack and you can reinstall the cylinder section.  There are others on the AACA forum that have reported good success with rewelds on the water jacket.  Hopefully one of them will chime in, or make a posting asking specifically about casting welders.  

Plan B is also to get another cylinder section, but then you get into needing pistons and rings.  The wristpin is held with a bolt on the small end of the connecting rod on these engines.    

• Like 3

To weld that block, it needs to be heated to 1200 degrees…….and it has a 80 percent chance of cracking again in that location. Also, with that much heat the entire block will need to be remachined every cylinder will have be punched out oversized……way too much money and risk. Stitching it is a good option……if a skilled guy can be found. Or find another engine and start over. All the choices are crappy…….unfortunately a common issue with dishonest sellers. Obviously the seller of the car knew what they were passing off………very sad for our hobby. 

• Like 4