1980 Trimuter, not mine.

Apparently these were available as either gas or electric. Certainly would be a good candidate for Cars and Coffee! Interior is a little rough! 

Product photo of 1980 Trimuter trimuterProduct photo of 1980 Trimuter trimuter

• Like 2

“I’m going to revolutionize the automobile industry by creating a super economy car that will be affordable by all”

Davis, Dale, etc., etc.   They always ended up with an underpowered 3 wheel contraption that barely held two, no luggage room and austere trimmings.

Then they believe that they can achieve mass production with no capitalization. 

They want to break up the conventions but they keep reinventing the wheel!

I bet none of these entrepreneurs spent even a few hours reading automotive history about what had happened before, the failures of others and incorporated the past into their business plans.  Start a business where your failure is guaranteed.  Sheesh nothing but dreamers. 

Posted (edited)

Where did the design come from? Quincy-Lynn Enterprises. This was a build-it-yourself project presented in Mechanix Illustrated magazine, as were many of Quincy-Lynn's creations. The Quincy Lynn Trimuter was presented as the "UrbaSport" in February 1980.

Mechanix-Illustrated-198002_0000.jp2&id=

Somewhere, buried deep in my files is a plans packet for this car.

Robert Q. Riley died not too many years ago. David L. Carey, the other half of Quincy Lynn died much earlier. Robert Q. Riley's middle name was the Quincy in Quincy-Lynn.

https://thekneeslider.com/a-belated-note-on-robert-q-riley-of-trimuter-and-tri-magnum-fame/

He was still selling plans to the old Quincy-Lynn projects and some more recent projects of his own fairly recently. His website (or possibly a mirror?) still exists:

https://rqriley.hostcentric.com/plans.html

https://rqriley.hostcentric.com/

P.S. If anyone reading has an original plans packet for the UrbaCar, a gas powered 4-wheeler from 1975, I am interested. I had the plans back then but cannot find them. I would like to see them again. I already have the updated plans Robert Q. Riley had for sale in the 2000s or 2010s. The car is pictured below:

ZRmB7eId895QmDfET2NmvlxfsBLTVSmIP4nJBxD3

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

These were a "build it yourself" project cars. A coworker at our plant scratch built a Tri-Magnum. It is a wood, foam, fiberglass and steel construction. It took him 18 months to complete. The power train was from a Honda 750 V twin as I recall. It was designed by Robert Q. Riley in 1982. Gets 50 MPG. There was certainly nothing else like it on the road. Looked like a spaceship. :)

IMG_0251 (1).jpeg

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AzBob said:

These were a "build it yourself" project cars. A coworker at our plant scratch built a Tri-Magnum. It is a wood, foam, fiberglass and steel construction. It took him 18 months to complete. The power train was from a Honda 750 V twin as I recall. It was designed by Robert Q. Riley in 1982. Gets 50 MPG. There was certainly nothing else like it on the road. Looked like a spaceship. :)

IMG_0251 (1).jpeg

That’s a better looking car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1