1968 Riviera GS with Air Cond. radiator recommendations

I took it to a shop the other day and they say it isn't original. They showed me a few very small leaks but I let them know it doesn't over heat or leak on the floor.

They said I shouldn't worry about then and put it back in. I was just wondering what a new one would cost so I did a little research and prices are all over the place from $200 to $1000. A few people say when they received the radiator it didn't fit. So I was wondering if anyone has purchased one lately.

3 hours ago, LarryDolphins said:

I took it to a shop the other day and they say it isn't original. They showed me a few very small leaks but I let them know it doesn't over heat or leak on the floor.

They said I shouldn't worry about then and put it back in. I was just wondering what a new one would cost so I did a little research and prices are all over the place from $200 to $1000. A few people say when they received the radiator it didn't fit. So I was wondering if anyone has purchased one lately.

I was quoted around $800 to have the radiator for my '64 recored with a four row core. It will definately fit.

Personally, I am not a fan of the full-aluminum radiators as they are not rebuildable.  Once clogged, no repairs, so they become a big beer can of sorts.  If getting one rebuilt, then make sure they use at least OEM quality solder for the joints.  I used to buy new Modines for the cost of a good repair job, in the 1980s.  Then found a repair shop used by many body shops and car repair shops, whose work held up well. 

KEY is to find one of the higher-volume radiator shops so the prices are not too high.  Such places probably do a good bit of business with the HD Truck dealers and such, by observation.  Also sell new ones and do other truck repair items (as particulate filters) and also do gas tank cleanings.  Some could well be in the "grittier" parts of town, but usually good people to do business with and have been there for decades.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Larry you might want to give Ruben a call the man whose number i gave you. He may have a good original one that just needs rodding out. If. You do go that route make sure you tell him you want a refund if you are told by radiator shop that its not salvageable. Personally i don't think that the aftermarket ones work as good as a original.

22 hours ago, LarryDolphins said:

They said I shouldn't worry about then and put it back in.

Really?!?  What kind of a 'radiator shop' would say that?  If the radiator won't hold pressure, the system is operating at atmospheric pressure (like the cooling system in my '38 Century).  It may be fine 90% of the time, but the risk is it may boil over on a 90° F summer day climbing a long grade with the A/C running...

23 hours ago, LarryDolphins said:

They showed me a few very small leaks but I let them know it doesn't over heat or leak on the floor.

They said I shouldn't worry about then and put it back in.

That's when I would have referred you to my nearest competitor.