Has This Car Survived?

Many of us have photos we took years ago of interesting vehicles, and I often wonder if they're still around. I recently heard from the owner of a coach-built early classic which was purchased as several truckloads of parts, and has now been totally and beautifully restored. I happened to have photographed the car probably 60 years ago, and mine was the only photo the owner had seen of the car before it was disassembled. It made me wonder if I or other forum members had similar photos. 

PLEASE DO NOT OFFER OWNER'S NAMES UNLESS IT'S YOUR CAR -- Many people don't want their name on the internet. If they want to be identified, they can do it themself.

As an initial entry I'll offer a set of two cars -- a 1908 Rauch and Lang and a 1913 Buick (Model years as stated by the owner are likely incorrect). Photographed around 1963 in a warehouse in Chattanooga, TN. The company manufactured snow chains and that is what we see stacked around the cars. The owner had kept his old cars as he replaced them, and also had a 1929 Plymouth, a 1939 Plymouth and a 1949 Plymouth which, at the time, were not old enough to arouse my interest.

I'm betting both of these are still with us.

Don

Do you   own one of these?

94 Hite Mfg Buick 1913.jpg

95 Hite Mfg 1908 Rauch and Lang.jpg

96 Buick and R&L Electric.jpg

• Like 5

I would be very curious to see the rest of that Rauch and Lang electric.

They look a lot like the Detroit electric.

1916 Rauch & Lang Electric J6 Coach | Hyman Ltd. Classic Cars

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 10:25 PM, DLynskey said:

Many of us have photos we took years ago of interesting vehicles, and I often wonder if they're still around. I recently heard from the owner of a coach-built early classic which was purchased as several truckloads of parts, and has now been totally and beautifully restored. I happened to have photographed the car probably 60 years ago, and mine was the only photo the owner had seen of the car before it was disassembled. It made me wonder if I or other forum members had similar photos. 

PLEASE DO NOT OFFER OWNER'S NAMES UNLESS IT'S YOUR CAR -- Many people don't want their name on the internet. If they want to be identified, they can do it themself.

As an initial entry I'll offer a set of two cars -- a 1908 Rauch and Lang and a 1913 Buick (Model years as stated by the owner are likely incorrect). Photographed around 1963 in a warehouse in Chattanooga, TN. The company manufactured snow chains and that is what we see stacked around the cars. The owner had kept his old cars as he replaced them, and also had a 1929 Plymouth, a 1939 Plymouth and a 1949 Plymouth which, at the time, were not old enough to arouse my interest.

I'm betting both of these are still with us.

Don

Did they make any leather license plates in '15?

On 5/11/2024 at 4:51 PM, TerryKott said:

Did they make any leather license plates in '15?

By 1915, all states and provinces were issuing yearly metal license plates.

Craig

• Like 1