1938 Roadmaster inside rear view mirror

KAW

I recently purchased a 1938 Series 80 touring sedan that has been very nicely restored by the previous owner.  There is no inside rear view mirror and I cannot see where one would attach.  Does anyone know if all '38 Series 80 sedans were originally equipped with inside rear view mirrors?  I assume they were.  Could someone post a photo of how (where) the mirror is attached?  I haven't located one for sale yet, but when I do I would like to have an idea of how to properly install it.

Trying to see where the mirror attaches.  Here are a couple of photos of the post in the center of the windshield in my car......Does the mirror attach at the very top where the vertical chrome piece enters the wood grain horizontal strip? If so, does it attach to the chrome strip or to the wood grain piece?  Anyone have a close up photo of the connection point of the mirror?

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

Posted (edited)

I have not checked the parts numbers to be sure that all series Sedans use the same mirror, but in my 1938 Century Model 61 Restoration story, I found a photo of the rear view mirror. If you click on the small diagonal arrow at the top right corner of the link you will find the mirror photo:

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

In 1938 Series 60, 80, & 90 (except convertibles) mirror is the same. It is Group number 10.185, Part number 4090480. Since the 40 and 60 series apparently use different mirrors in 1938, I am not sure if my previous photo is correct or not. I had both Century and Special body parts and am now not sure if the windshield garnish moldings and mirror used were 60 series or 40 series parts. In any case, I suspect that it is very similar if not identical.

Posted (edited)

This is 1838 90L that was in Sydney, Australia and is now in Singapore.

Looks to be the same mirror mount as post 2

Img_0015.jpg

Have not checked the parts book, but 1937-1938-1939 may the same or very similar. My parts book does not have group 10.

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

Edit

Looked at some 1939 S80 & S90 photos. Mirror looks the same mounted off the garnish molding.

1939 series 40 have a different design:- bolt to window divider

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Thanks.  This is all very helpful.  I understand now where my mirror should be mounted and will give Dave Tacheny a call to see if he has one for sale

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I had both Century and Special body parts and am now not sure if the windshield garnish moldings and mirror used were 60 series or 40 series parts. In any case, I suspect that it is very similar if not identical.

Might the only difference between 40 and 60 be the woodgraining?

2 hours ago, Shootey said:

Might the only difference between 40 and 60 be the woodgraining?

Since the body shells for 40 series and 60 series are thought to be identical except for the pattern of the captured nuts for the front fenders, It certainly could be. I just don't know for sure.