1924 Buick 24-4-35 Water Pump Packing

wilson24

I have a pretty good water leak from the packing on the front, and some on the rear, of the packing on my water pump - I can tighten the brass packing nuts which helps but does not stop the leak - it comes back.  I have some new square graphite packing that is supposed to be the right size.  How much of an issue is it to replace that packing with the water pump in the car?  I have about 5 days before I am going on a 2 day tour.  Or should I just wait until after the tour?  At the end of the season, I plan to pull the water pump and have a new shaft made.

Wilson

Cary, NC

No problem to chance these packings,just loosen the brass nuts "left and right threads" remove the old packing and install the new ones.(just remember the left and right threads!)If the axle are rusty or wear it will not help for a long time.Remember to tighten the brass nuts after a short driving or after you stop driving!

• Like 1

Don’t over tighten the packing. Seeping is normal. The shaft on that car can be a challenge to install and make. The 23 I did last year on a budget for a local collector has held up fine with a “quickie” overhaul job with just polishing the shaft even with extensive scoring. Be sure to use the correct water pump grease.

• Like 2

Wilson:

Folow the sugestions from Leif and Ed. Loosen the nuts and pull back to expose the packing. All you may need is an extra doughnut of packing. I used good Lubriplate waterpump grease at the bushing/shaft. Apply on input and output side. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Hand tight should be good enough. I am sure that is what took out my timing gear on the 1925 Master. Even with newly made shaft and bushings on the Master it still has a drip occasionaly.

Thanks guys!  I think I am going to leave it alone until after the tour this Thursday and Friday, but will carry 5 gallons of water just to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Followup question:  I was given some graphite packing that is about 1/4" in diameter and 8" long.  Is this the correct packing?  It seams like I read somewhere that the packing should be square.  If this is not correct, where can I get the correct packing and what size do I ask for?

McMaster Carr has square packing………

• Thanks 1

Remove some or all of the old packing and measure it for size.  Buy Graphite impregnated packing and make your own packing rings by wrapping the shaft and diagonal cutting each one to fit.  Cover them with water pump grease and install them with the cuts 120 degrees apart leaving a couple of threads for the packing nuts to grab.  Fill with coolant and start the car to re-adjust the packing nuts just enough to stop drips.  

• Like 3