Shocks for my 1969 riviera (base) model

Can someone suggest a good set of shocks for my ride? Im a new member #18096 so I hope Im doing this right. I also am looking to replace the shocks as well, any suggestions? My riviera has 92,000 miles on it so I feel its time. Any advise is welcome thanks.                                         

Marvin Moore

Marvin, I disagree with zTom T saying Bilsteins are costly. Matter of fact Bilsteins are economical. Initially the shocks appear expensive. Consider longevity, reliability, the better ride, better steering the shocks are a steal. Everyone has budgets and limits, good suspension adds to your driving pleasure and safety. So, if budget allows get the better shocks. Get them from Tom T he wont steer you wrong.

Later Gator

Turbinator

If you go with the Bilsteins please share your experience with them. I installed rear RCD Bilsteins on my '70 years ago that I bought from OPGI and I honestly did not appreciate the ride quality. The rear of the car rode like a brick. I ended up putting the cheap Gabriels on it and the ride was vastly improved. OPGI ended up giving me a full refund on the RCD's. I know what I am saying is contradicting to what the world will say about this brand but that was just my experience. I'm also not sure if there is a difference between Bilstein and RCD Bilstein. I run Bilsteins on my Truck and I love them.

"RCD" = Race Car Development, which sells 55-series Bilsteins.  The initial Google search came up mentioning RCD Bilsteins as being for off-road and lifted pickup trucks for off-road use.  YIKES!!  Further research indicated that they also have Bilsteins for lowered Rivieras, too.  Which leads me to suspect that "RCD Bilsteins" are not the same valving as normal 55-Series Bilsteins.

Personally, I like KONIs better.  I put some on my '77 Camaro back in the 1980s.  I was impressed with how they rode and felt with Radial TAs on a friend's Z/28 so when he got ready to trade that car, we swapped my Delco Big D shocks for his KONIs the night before.  I never looked back.  I like them for their adjustability factor.  Plus their smooth ride WITH CONTROL.  Plus their lifetime warranty (IF you can keep a good copy of the originial sales receipt intact!!).  I've put well past 600K on them, over the years I've owned that car. 

To me, KONIs and Radial TAs are a perfect match.  With Pirelli P77s, the Pirellis' rubber seems to filter out too much of the little things and the KONIs never do get into their stiffer valving sections on rougher roads, it seems.  I never could gdt them adjusted-up to have the same gutsy feel they had with the stiffer-sidewall Radial TAs.  Yet they handled well in all weather conditions and had an "H" speed rating.  But suffered from the trademark Pirelli ozone cracking issues, including between the tread ribs.

Another friend has KONIs on his '77 Z/28.  He changed them for Bilsteins, which were equivalent to KONIs in many respects.  Suddenly, the car rode uncharteristically smooth and bouncy, plus had a greater tendency to oversteer from rear suspension stiffness.  NOT what he was expecting.  Also with Radial TAs.

Whichever brand you might choose to go with, price shop extensively.  Some sellers might "claim" to sell them, but find somebody who has them in stock, if possible at the best price.  I ended up with Tire Rack.  Of course, Rock Auto for other brands, at least to price shop.

Just my experiences,

NTX5467

I put a set of Bilsteins on my '65 last spring and the ride improved noticeably.  Less nose-diving on hard braking, more level cornering, and the car feels more stable overall.

These shocks are on the expensive side but I'm happy with the improved handling they provide.