1966 Mercury Marauder, not mine.

20 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Where are the Marauder scripts

Well, the air cleaner……but they were not spotlighted in 1966.  
Mercury had a strange relationship with the word Marauder. Starting in 58 it described the rare 6 barrel engine.  Then it popped up to describe many other things.  

After 1963 1/2 it was used to refer to the “fastback” roof. Remember Mercury offered the breezeway window and the “standard” roofline.  (Which was the same as Ford) To make something special out of the shared roofline the applied the Marauder name.  Remember in 63-64 there were both 2 and 4 door versions of each roof.  

By 1965 the 2 door breezeway was gone (along with the 4 door hardtop breezeway) but the text Marauder remained on the 4 door hardtop.

Which by then meant nothing in the big scheme of things.   It appeared on the air cleaner because… why not.  Mercury needed all the imaging that it could get.

The engines were all hydraulic lifter FE motors 390s, 410 & 428 but they were not any high performance cobra jet motors, just torque motors that could pull a very high gear axle ratio to decrease engine noise. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’ve thought about buying another Marauder to go with my 1970 X-100 but it wouldn’t be a bench seat car unless it was a 410/428 with 4 speed, which may not have been an option.   I am a “meh” fan of these 1966’s.  Their not bad but the 63 Marauder with a 390 would be my next Marauder choice. 

15 hours ago, m-mman said:

"Well, the air cleaner……but they were not spotlighted in 1966.   Mercury had a strange relationship with the word Marauder. Starting in 58 it described the rare 6-barrel engine.  Then it popped up to describe many other things. "..." Which by then meant nothing in the big scheme of things.   It appeared on the air cleaner because… why not.  Mercury needed all the imaging that it could get. The engines were all hydraulic lifter FE motors 390s, 410 & 428 but they were not any high-performance cobra jet motors, just torque motors that could pull a very high gear axle ratio to decrease engine noise. "

Ford Motor Company was always primarily about Ford cars and trucks in the view of top management.  Mercury and Lincoln were peripheral divisions, necessary 'evils' to compete as one of the 'Big Three'.  But neither was to upstage equivalent Fords where management wanted the majority of sales volumes to wear the Ford nameplate.  Mercury's main task was to give the FoMoCo brand loyal a car to move up to rather than go elsewhere, secondarily to counter Pontiac and Dodge to an extent without stepping out too far.  Lincoln had been Edsel Ford's baby, provided a psychological link to their tragically deceased father.   Plus, it had to be maintained for FoMoCo to be taken seriously as a legitimate member of the Big Three which all members had to have a luxury make to be taken seriously as such.   Poor Mercury was never going to be allowed to completely define itself separate from Fords and never upstage Ford products.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I am a “meh” fan of these 1966’s.  Their not bad but the 63 Marauder with a 390 would be my next Marauder choice. 

My 66 Park Lane. Convertibles were never identified as Marauder but the engine was. 

(sorry the photos were taken left handed and I can’t turn them over on my phone)

FYI iPhones ARE right handed when it comes to pictures.  😕

IMG_2800.jpeg.f9847fa2479c4cad039bc27b17a04806.jpeg

IMG_2802.jpeg.a74e82472fe7df5f9ab5b02cf9d75d85.jpeg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No Marauder scripts or ID on the 66s except the air cleaner. The sporty version was the S55 with buckets and console and emblems on the quarters. I came close to buying this one which had the 428 "Super Marauder".

2.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

24.jpg

• Like 2