Anyone rebuilding A6 ac compressors?

I hear conflicting stories about this, ranging from Yes they can be rebuilt and there’s a few shops that a good at it, to No don’t even think about it.

The current crop of A6 compressors available for sale are receiving mixed reviews.

But I need an A6 compressor for an old Mercedes, I can mortgage the house and hope the new one I buy is any good, or hope the rebuild on the original holds up.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)

The Delco A6 has been out of production for many years so finding someone with the tools, parts and knowledge to rebuild one may be a challenge.  I believe at one point Alma Products in Alma, MI was doing the A6 along with many other compressors. You might contact them to see if they can do it or recommend someone.

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave39MD said:

The Delco A6 has been out of production for many years so finding someone with the tools, parts and knowledge to rebuild one may be a challenge.  I believe at one point Alma Products in Alma, MI was doing the A6 along with many other compressors. You might contact them to see if they can do it or recommend someone.

Dave

Not Delco, Frigidaire.

• Like 1

I have had a good experience at the restoration division of Original Air in Holiday Florida.

they are one of the few shops that will restore compressors, valves even crimp new hose on your factory fittings with a OEM look, when you make a reservation for this service you send them a picture of what you are working on and they ask you if you are putting it on a car that is going to be shown or do you want the components finished to match the patina of the car. It took 4 weeks for my time slot, they will call me with an estimate when they receive .

It probably wasn't often done at dealer service level since it was quicker to replace the compressor than rebuild it, but GM service manuals covered the A6 compressor teardown and rebuild process.

The parts and special tools are what would prevent a hobbyist doing it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Not Delco, Frigidaire.

The Frigidaire name was dropped when GM sold the division in 1979. The logo/brand for automotive , for a short time, was Delco Aire. The Delco Aire name may have been before 1979 I don't remember the exact time line.

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

The ACDelco Dist. in Billings is Direct Automotive. I doubt they will have it but you never know. I was surprised to see the 1996 catalog still had a A 6 breakdown since most techs went to complete replacement years before that. I will attach ;

a 6 2.jpg

a 6 1.jpg

• Like 1

A friend has one of those Chinesium aluminum ones on his 77 Buick Estate Wagon. Other than being a little "blingy" with its polished finish it works well and bolted right into the existing A6 brackets. I'd consider one for my A6-equipped cars.

I think that car has a cycling clutch refrigerant system but the cycling doesn't appear to bother the A6. Always thought that was a lot of mass to get moving but I guess the electromagnetic clutch was sized and designed to handle it.

I remember the first A6 I saw tore down. I couldn't relate 6 cylinders to a round housing. Then I saw the swash plate and the pistons and it not only made sense, but struck me as inspired engineering.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

The Frigidaire name was dropped when GM sold the division in 1979. The logo/brand for automotive , for a short time, was Delco Aire. The Delco Aire name may have been before 1979 I don't remember the exact time line.

Dave

Frigidaire design. 

Frigidaire, has been manufacturing air conditioning components for automobiles since the early fifties. Their first successful complete air conditioning systems were installed in 1953 Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Buick cars. One of their more popular successes was the design of the model A-6 compressor, which was used by General Motors for more than 25 years. The A-6 was Frigidaire's first axial designed compressor. 

On Youtube there is a video of a guy resealing an A6 compressor, Centurybob is the name.  From the video, it seems to be a very simple straight forward job, so much so, I'm going to attempt to rebuild one of the ones I have.

Tim